Boatmad.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 14-01-2009, 07:53 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Big V's Avatar
 
Location: Guernsey
Interests: Powerboats and Rugby
Boat name: C96 Fast Air
Boat make: Ocke Mannerfelt B-23
Engines: Mercury 200XS
Cruising area: Channel Islands

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Guernsey
Posts: 532
XR2 or 200XS?

Is the 200XS motor alot better than the XR2?

I have an XR2 on my Ocke Mannerfelt B-23 and it goes really well, i have been winter testing her and i have been so impressed with the XR2 - she runs sweet as a nut in the marina, absoultely fly's out at sea and it sounds awesome.

but i was wandering if the 200XS was even better?

they seem as rare as rocking horse sh!t to get hold of though?

cheers

Jacques
__________________

Big V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2009, 11:34 AM   #2
BananaShark Member
 
Cookee's Avatar
 
Country: UK
Location: Salcombe South Devon
Occupation: Racer and builder
Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Salcombe South Devon
Posts: 4,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques.Vermeulen View Post
Is the 200XS motor alot better than the XR2?

I have an XR2 on my Ocke Mannerfelt B-23 and it goes really well, i have been winter testing her and i have been so impressed with the XR2 - she runs sweet as a nut in the marina, absoultely fly's out at sea and it sounds awesome.

but i was wandering if the 200XS was even better?

they seem as rare as rocking horse sh!t to get hold of though?

cheers

Jacques
Yes they are rare and considered better, but Roy Smith won the worlds with an XR2 last year! You take your pick really, if you can avoid the compressors falling off (Rhino on here has had trouble with that), then I believe they are more reliable.
__________________

__________________
Cookee



British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2009, 05:38 PM   #3
Registered User
 
"Old beardy"'s Avatar
 
Country: England
Location: Cornwall
Occupation: Civil Engineer in the water industry
Interests: Powerboat racing, travel, curries, zimmers
Boat name: "N" Class fabrication
Boat make: B23
Engines: 200XS
Cruising area: Torbay & Falmouth

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques.Vermeulen View Post
Is the 200XS motor alot better than the XR2?

I have an XR2 on my Ocke Mannerfelt B-23 and it goes really well, i have been winter testing her and i have been so impressed with the XR2 - she runs sweet as a nut in the marina, absoultely fly's out at sea and it sounds awesome.

but i was wandering if the 200XS was even better?

they seem as rare as rocking horse sh!t to get hold of though?

cheers

Jacques
There is no doubt that when the 200XS is running right that it is better than the XR2 in the flat but Roy proved in Guernsey last year that the XR2 is still an awesome lump. I loved the XR2`s that I have had and if looked after properly will give you good service. As Cookee pointed out the compressors are the weak link on the XS together with the electrical connections close to the rear of the cowl. The power distribution on the XS is totally different to the XR2 so different props and gear ratios will need trying until you get it right. I would have a season with the XR2 if you are planning to do just Nationals but if you intend going abroad then you will need to change to the XS.
Which B23 have you bought? Is it Pete Berrows or Roy Smiths?
"Old beardy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 07:55 AM   #4
Registered User
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17
Hi,

What is the ideal boat weight for xr2 (2.0) 200hp to pull?
And what in a 200xs (2.5)?

Cheers
adrenalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 09:13 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Country: UK
Location: Pevensey Bay
Occupation: Teacher
Interests: photography
Cruising area: Pevensey Bay / Solent

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Pevensey Bay
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalin View Post
Hi,

What is the ideal boat weight for xr2 (2.0) 200hp to pull?
And what in a 200xs (2.5)?

Cheers
Don't think there really is such a thing, and if there was it would vary with gear ratios and propeller selection, give us some more details of what your thinking.
Tom Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009, 04:22 PM   #6
Registered User
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 32
gear ratio with XS or XR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Old beardy" View Post
There is no doubt that when the 200XS is running right that it is better than the XR2 in the flat but Roy proved in Guernsey last year that the XR2 is still an awesome lump. I loved the XR2`s that I have had and if looked after properly will give you good service. As Cookee pointed out the compressors are the weak link on the XS together with the electrical connections close to the rear of the cowl. The power distribution on the XS is totally different to the XR2 so different props and gear ratios will need trying until you get it right. I would have a season with the XR2 if you are planning to do just Nationals but if you intend going abroad then you will need to change to the XS.
Which B23 have you bought? Is it Pete Berrows or Roy Smiths?
Hi I'm Giovanni Di Meglio (C-11) 2° in the last Class 3 2 Lt world.
In october, I had buy Roy's Bat Boat without engine, and now for practices I wuold to use an old XR2. Roy said me that He used 2.1 gear ratio.
Now I would to know, what is the better gear ratio with mercury 200 XS? Probably 1.87?
Ian, what do you use always the same props (3 blades) with XS 200?
giovannidimeglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009, 07:00 PM   #7
Registered User
 
"Old beardy"'s Avatar
 
Country: England
Location: Cornwall
Occupation: Civil Engineer in the water industry
Interests: Powerboat racing, travel, curries, zimmers
Boat name: "N" Class fabrication
Boat make: B23
Engines: 200XS
Cruising area: Torbay & Falmouth

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by giovannidimeglio View Post
Hi I'm Giovanni Di Meglio (C-11) 2° in the last Class 3 2 Lt world.
In october, I had buy Roy's Bat Boat without engine, and now for practices I wuold to use an old XR2. Roy said me that He used 2.1 gear ratio.
Now I would to know, what is the better gear ratio with mercury 200 XS? Probably 1.87?
Ian, what do you use always the same props (3 blades) with XS 200?
Giovanni,
Whilst not to appear obstructive, we have spent a lot of time and money trying different ratios and props on our boat, which is something that I am not prepared to divulge. Sorry.
Ian.
"Old beardy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009, 09:37 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Pearny's Avatar
 
Country: uk
Location: looe
Occupation: Marine engineer
Interests: boating/shooting/water sports
Boat name: Apmarine Racing
Boat make: Phantom 21, Manerfelt 23, Donzi 28zx
Engines: Merc XR2, Merc xs, 2 x 350Mags
Cruising area: plymouth/looe/fowey

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: looe
Posts: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by giovannidimeglio View Post
Hi I'm Giovanni Di Meglio (C-11) 2° in the last Class 3 2 Lt world.
In october, I had buy Roy's Bat Boat without engine, and now for practices I wuold to use an old XR2. Roy said me that He used 2.1 gear ratio.
Now I would to know, what is the better gear ratio with mercury 200 XS? Probably 1.87?
Ian, what do you use always the same props (3 blades) with XS 200?
AAAA mr giovanni hows things? I will tell you my gear ratio's and prop sizes and even if it helps the rpm's too!!! I am running a 1.2 and running a 36 prop and reving at 6000RPM TOP SPEED 170MPH!!!! F@+K me scotty this is a quick boat!!!!

Mr Giovanni how is your mobile phone these days!!!! Glad it works in Guernsey
__________________
Check out are racing website
www.apmarineracing.co.uk
Pearny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009, 10:44 PM   #9
CB1
Registered User
 
CB1's Avatar
 
Location: poole dorset

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: poole dorset
Posts: 868
So speaks the guy who has never asked for any help with his rig!!!!
CB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2009, 01:32 PM   #10
Registered User
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB1 View Post
So speaks the guy who has never asked for any help with his rig!!!!
Thanks CB1, but I will use my bat boat, only for 2/3 races in italian championship, than usually for the world from 2006 I'm the Diego Testa's second pilot.....
Fortunally Roy give me a lot of information about bat boat tuning, but if for English pilot is a big "secret" speak about props and so on.....I say OK!

Regards to C-20 and C-17, I wish to meet you in Palermo 2009, always after C-11 Carpisa Yamamay.
Giovanni
giovannidimeglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2009, 05:26 PM   #11
Registered User
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearny View Post
AAAA mr giovanni hows things? I will tell you my gear ratio's and prop sizes and even if it helps the rpm's too!!! I am running a 1.2 and running a 36 prop and reving at 6000RPM TOP SPEED 170MPH!!!! F@+K me scotty this is a quick boat!!!!

Mr Giovanni how is your mobile phone these days!!!! Glad it works in Guernsey
Thanks a lot for your informations!
What works in Guerney???? I don't remeber C -20...because yuo are too fast!!!! 170MPH......ma vaffanculo!
giovannidimeglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2009, 06:26 PM   #12
Registered User
 
Big V's Avatar
 
Location: Guernsey
Interests: Powerboats and Rugby
Boat name: C96 Fast Air
Boat make: Ocke Mannerfelt B-23
Engines: Mercury 200XS
Cruising area: Channel Islands

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Guernsey
Posts: 532
2009 3c Worlds

Hi Giovanni

Can you tell us some information about the worlds in 2009 - i am planning to come to Sicily to race - all the way from Guernsey, where i live.

What dates are the races?

Is the racing definitly in Sicily? i heard a rumour that the worlds might be moved to Northern Italy instead?

Thanks

Jacques
__________________

Big V is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.