Boatmad.com

Old 28-07-2014, 07:02 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worsforwear View Post
I'm interested to see the numbers for this year. The RYA has a lot to answer for - numbers will always reduce if the RYA rules and regs on organisers are so harsh that in order to comply the price of entry has to be excessively high and increasingly prohibitive. That's on top of the racing licence.

The number of entries has reduced considerably since 2008 and 2009. The Cowes Torquay Cowes event has been diluted. Perhaps this race just isn't enticing enough. It offers nothing to satisfy the history of the race which has been compromised but then the RYA watch the event closely. Perhaps more so after a minor was allowed on board one of the boats on a run to Torquay in a race subsequent to 2009. The terms of Insurance and Health & Safety have to be observed and are ever more costly to provide.

Having witnessed the success of the recent Poker Rally in the Solent and read the comments from those who took part and having heard that even the HMs have written to ML to congratulate him and his team for the success of the event and for the way it was organised and conducted, I can't quite understand why there is such a struggle to make this once great weekend race a success and a challenge to those taking part. A split down the middle race with a stop isn't the Cowes Torquay Cowes challenge it was.

These events don't just happen. A good race, one that is talked about for weeks, months and years afterwards are the ones to remember. They take a huge personal sacrifice from those organising them. Quite often these people put their own money in to try to keep the costs down. They take no end of abuse and flack from all parties to get the race going only to be let down by numbers who semi commit and then don't turn up.

I had a great time taking part in the Poker Rally and would definitely take part in something like that again. The cost is low and I can imagine it didn't cover all expenses. So if I could have the same day out on the water, even at double the cost of the Pirates of the Solent Rally, which would allow those doing the background work to break even and have a Beer and Burger, I would definitely do so. It was a great day that was well organised and the family were all welcomed and included.

The historical event is long gone so why not change the format completely? I don't understand the continued support for the RYA when the RYA is part of the reason for the demise of Offshore Racing in this country. Maybe it is the reason.

I don't think the minor on board has any bearing on the numbers, there was also four other passengers on board, none of them were under 50 and the oldest was 76 another 67, if I was going to look at safety, which i ain't, I would say the older ones were a bigger risk.
I don't suppose the 8 to 16 year old racing class is a risk, eh, at least the lad in the boat was just a passenger not in the boat on his own.
Anyway they all got banned from racing, which in my opinion was a bit silly as the owner of the boat used to arrange some good entertainment and put in large money

biffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 07:12 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozzer View Post
which can NEVER be compared to racing EVER!
Have you ever finished a race in the Fountain?

Marinautic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 08:24 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
I don't think the minor on board has any bearing on the numbers, there was also four other passengers on board, none of them were under 50 and the oldest was 76 another 67, if I was going to look at safety, which i ain't, I would say the older ones were a bigger risk.
I don't suppose the 8 to 16 year old racing class is a risk, eh, at least the lad in the boat was just a passenger not in the boat on his own.
Anyway they all got banned from racing, which in my opinion was a bit silly as the owner of the boat used to arrange some good entertainment and put in large money
Biffer. Having a minor on board negated the race insurance for the entire fleet - therefore the race would not have been insured.

Frankly I think the person heading up the organisation should have been banned from organising races from then onwards. It was exceedingly irresponsible for him to have been aware of the breach in the rules on that day. Unfortunately the only people to have paid the price are the team on board the boat and that was solely because they gave in to pressure from the organiser and/or organising entity.

Can you imagine the consequences of there being no valid insurance for any one in the fleet of boats if there had been an accident of some kind.
Worsforwear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 09:07 PM   #64

Quote:
Biffer. Having a minor on board negated the race insurance for the entire fleet - therefore the race would not have been insured.

Frankly I think the person heading up the organisation should have been banned from organising races from then onwards. It was exceedingly irresponsible for him to have been aware of the breach in the rules on that day. Unfortunately the only people to have paid the price are the team on board the boat and that was solely because they gave in to pressure from the organiser and/or organising entity.

Can you imagine the consequences of there being no valid insurance for any one in the fleet of boats if there had been an accident of some kind.
You should have a close look at the event insurance and the clauses that are in place, someone far cleverer than me has said that it's not worth the paper it's written on, the boat that the lad was on is insured fully comp for racing or cruising not that it would have done anything for the rest of the fleet but it's my understanding from the clever one that the event is only basic third party with loads wriggle clauses
Old 28-07-2014, 09:28 PM   #65

Interests: Powerboats, Alpine Skiing
Boat name: Blastoff Challenger
Boat make: Fountain 38 poker run
Engines: 2 x Yanmar 440
Cruising area: Solent

Maranautic.....yes I have finished Cowes even in my own boat, and I have led the race....what point are you trying to make,have you?

Shit happens, and I now have a bloody good engineer who will help me get the result I deserve.

It is a shame that people have to make pathetic school kid comments which devalue the sport.

Good thing that people like me ignore the winging and get on and organise the ONLY International Marathon Race in the Uk, supported by a very good and loyal team.

Will I see you at the start in your boat Maranautic?
Dozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 01:15 AM   #66

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Quote:
I'm interested to see the numbers for this year. The RYA has a lot to answer for - numbers will always reduce if the RYA rules and regs on organisers are so harsh that in order to comply the price of entry has to be excessively high and increasingly prohibitive. That's on top of the racing licence.

The number of entries has reduced considerably since 2008 and 2009. The Cowes Torquay Cowes event has been diluted. Perhaps this race just isn't enticing enough. It offers nothing to satisfy the history of the race which has been compromised but then the RYA watch the event closely. Perhaps more so after a minor was allowed on board one of the boats on a run to Torquay in a race subsequent to 2009. The terms of Insurance and Health & Safety have to be observed and are ever more costly to provide.

Having witnessed the success of the recent Poker Rally in the Solent and read the comments from those who took part and having heard that even the HMs have written to ML to congratulate him and his team for the success of the event and for the way it was organised and conducted, I can't quite understand why there is such a struggle to make this once great weekend race a success and a challenge to those taking part. A split down the middle race with a stop isn't the Cowes Torquay Cowes challenge it was.

These events don't just happen. A good race, one that is talked about for weeks, months and years afterwards are the ones to remember. They take a huge personal sacrifice from those organising them. Quite often these people put their own money in to try to keep the costs down. They take no end of abuse and flack from all parties to get the race going only to be let down by numbers who semi commit and then don't turn up.

I had a great time taking part in the Poker Rally and would definitely take part in something like that again. The cost is low and I can imagine it didn't cover all expenses. So if I could have the same day out on the water, even at double the cost of the Pirates of the Solent Rally, which would allow those doing the background work to break even and have a Beer and Burger, I would definitely do so. It was a great day that was well organised and the family were all welcomed and included.

The historical event is long gone so why not change the format completely? I don't understand the continued support for the RYA when the RYA is part of the reason for the demise of Offshore Racing in this country. Maybe it is the reason.
Mike, why do you post under "Worsforwear" when most know its you?
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 06:40 AM   #67

Interests: Powerboats, Alpine Skiing
Boat name: Blastoff Challenger
Boat make: Fountain 38 poker run
Engines: 2 x Yanmar 440

Also Maranautic....I mean Tony Davis, I look forward to seeing you at Drivers next time you are there...
Dozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 06:48 AM   #68

That's better the old sniping is back on boatmad it was getting a little boring recently

Dozzer don't bite it's not personal just tongue in cheek from Maurantic let's face it if they had rigged your boat it would never finish a race.

Well done for getting the start back at Cowes and again we all know that certain boats for various reasons leave there entry late

and memories are so short there was a poker run out of drivers in 2009 that was brilliant and had about 30 boats what happened the following year it was cancelled because of lack of entries.
I hope history does not repeat it's self because if it does ML will be back on the golf course.
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 09:09 AM   #69

Boat name: snow monkey
Boat make: extreme 24
Engines: mercruiser 6.2

Anyway they all got banned from racing, which in my opinion was a bit silly as the owner of the boat used to arrange some good entertainment and put in large money.........
blimey that was kept quiet,until now
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 09:23 AM   #70

Yeh kept quite, right, if some other people had kept there big mouths shut then the young lad with a good pedigree for boat sports might have thought it was a good idea to follow in his families footsteps, he probably thinks, no way am I getting involved this and get stabbed in the back at every meet, I can't talk for him, just my thoughts, getting bored with this now. Bye bye
Old 29-07-2014, 11:10 AM   #71

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
Ha, nice conspiracy theory but way wrong - silly boy! I have no need to post under a pseudonym, I am of an age that if I have something to say I will say it.

I like his style though whoever he is.

Now, who else could you blame?
ML.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 11:16 AM   #72

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunton69 View Post
I hope history does not repeat it's self because if it does ML will be back on the golf course.
I can still do both Hunton69 because organising a Poker Run is a walk in the park compared to organising a powerboat race nowadays. And more FUN!

Glad that Boatmad is livening up a bit, been very boring!!
ML.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 11:17 AM   #73

Boat name: snow monkey
Boat make: extreme 24
Engines: mercruiser 6.2

so who are the banned crew
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 04:11 PM   #74

Ciao Old Chap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
Ciao Old Chap. One must never assume!
Worsforwear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 04:25 PM   #75

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Quote:
Ciao Old Chap. One must never assume!
Thanks for the tip.

I look forward to reading your next essay.
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:23 AM   #76

Interests: surface piercing props, stepped hulls, air entrapment hulls
Boat name: none
Boat make: PetterTintorera
Engines: Yamaha 90
Cruising area: West Coast of Norway

Looks like a reasonable line up though considering the current climate. No entries in the E-class yet though. Where are Swipewipes, Bananashark and Gordon?
Scand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:17 PM   #77

Interests: Powerboats,Commentating, Bikes
Boat make: None at the moment
Cruising area: Wherever I can get a ride !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scand View Post
Looks like a reasonable line up though considering the current climate. No entries in the E-class yet though. Where are Swipewipes, Bananashark and Gordon?
Swipewipes - Not entering, owners have "issues" with the RYA, re licences.
Bananashark - Boat sold.
Gordon - Again, issues re licences, & my understanding is that Gordon & his RIB have been asked to act as "sweep boat" to follow the competitors around the course.
Its not up to me to derive publicly the issues crews have regarding licences, but the cost of licences, & associated costs for one race weekend per year, are clearly considerable to some, which is a shame.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:17 PM   #78
Too many projects.....

Interests: Making things go fast....
Boat name: Top Gun
Boat make: Sunseeker Hawk 27
Engines: 2x Volvo Penta 5.7 V8s
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childsy View Post
http://www.boatshop24.co.uk/advert/c...er-gb/41758787
Do you have any spare cash Carl....!!
Best looking Rib ever built... simply awesome....!!
It's not until you get up close that you can fully appreciate how well engineered she is. Was built with the intention of winning RB (with Steve on the Throttles) which subsequently got cancelled.

The owner who commissioned the build has since moved on to other interests so she is now sat stored indoors waiting for a new owner to bring her back out and hopefully use her to the full potential.

James

** back on topic, looking forward to a Cowes start and wish all those competing the best of luck!!
pugracer285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:39 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugracer285 View Post
It's not until you get up close that you can fully appreciate how well engineered she is. Was built with the intention of winning RB (with Steve on the Throttles) which subsequently got cancelled.

The owner who commissioned the build has since moved on to other interests so she is now sat stored indoors waiting for a new owner to bring her back out and hopefully use her to the full potential.

James

!!
I thought she broke down on her first race.

I wonder why the owner moved on to other interests.
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:57 AM   #80

Interests: My Boat of course
Boat make: Extreme 21
Engines: Merc V8

Did have to retire from Ctc race so clearly had an issue but didn't "break down" I don't think. We watched it coming back into Solent after retiring and it was absolutely flying.

Awsome looking machine.