Boatmad.com

Old 26-07-2014, 11:01 PM   #41

Interests: Powerboats,Commentating, Bikes
Boat make: None at the moment
Cruising area: Wherever I can get a ride !

2014 CTC Race

It looks, with entries due to close (Except for late entrants) on this coming Thursday, that there are only 10 boats (HTS entered but not yet on website) this year.
Please Dean & Vee, can you add your presence & boats to this event ?
A sad state, not helped by the present rules etc making it very difficult, not to say expensive, for new comers to enter Marathon Races.
Let us all hope the event can continue beyond this year, even if in a changed format.

Old 27-07-2014, 12:21 AM   #42
Steve

Interests: Powerboat Enthusiast
Boat name: Orashi
Boat make: Shetland 21
Engines: 55
Cruising area: Solent

I am sure that I seen a comment on Facebook recently that Vee was commenting that he was not participating in the recent Rally but will be at Cowes!!
With a boat or not he did not say!!

Its a shame with all the hard work behind the scenes of the BPRC to bring back the start to Cowes....
I am sure sure crowds will be back in numbers!

Old 27-07-2014, 12:36 AM   #43
Steve

Interests: Powerboat Enthusiast
Boat name: Orashi
Boat make: Shetland 21
Engines: 55

Looks as if Vector Martini Racing has joined the ranks.......

https://twitter.com/vectorworld/stat...15528475856896
Old 27-07-2014, 07:52 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin The Talker View Post
It looks, with entries due to close (Except for late entrants) on this coming Thursday, that there are only 10 boats (HTS entered but not yet on website) this year.
Please Dean & Vee, can you add your presence & boats to this event ?
A sad state, not helped by the present rules etc making it very difficult, not to say expensive, for new comers to enter Marathon Races.
Let us all hope the event can continue beyond this year, even if in a changed format.
Have you contacted Rob Gray ? He has 2 suitable boats.
wickedtopspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 12:21 PM   #45

Interests: Powerboats, Alpine Skiing
Boat name: Blastoff Challenger
Boat make: Fountain 38 poker run
Engines: 2 x Yanmar 440

I am aware of 9 other potential entries that could be included.
Some have mechanical issues which are being fixed.

Just to recap, entries received from 1st August-14th August will be subject to. 20% surcharge on the entry fee and may not be included in the CTC 2014 Programme that will be available at Cowes and Torquay.

Any entries received after the 14th August risk not being accepted.

The race is fully funded and will run, with a start off Cowes........don't miss it.
Dozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 01:59 PM   #46

Why the surcharge, you're crying out for boats
biffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 07:18 PM   #47

Vector Martini Racing has officially entered the race!
Old 28-07-2014, 09:22 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post

Good question ?
Red-Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 09:54 AM   #49

Interests: sport
Boat name: Santana

Quote:
If you had organised races you would know why.

As much as it is easy to complain about everything in racing at the moment, it is often the race organisers who have the real short straw.

Trying to pit events on - when there are very few competitors is difficult. Then much more so when people leave it late to enter - so have to find a way of getting people to enter early.

Personally I would rather see it marketed as a discounted entry for entering on time. Also if a genuine - trying to get my boat ready, but up against it - I would hope any organiser would have some flexibility.
Old 28-07-2014, 01:55 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
If you had organised races you would know why.

As much as it is easy to complain about everything in racing at the moment, it is often the race organisers who have the real short straw.

Trying to pit events on - when there are very few competitors is difficult. Then much more so when people leave it late to enter - so have to find a way of getting people to enter early.

Personally I would rather see it marketed as a discounted entry for entering on time. Also if a genuine - trying to get my boat ready, but up against it - I would hope any organiser would have some flexibility.
I had to ask as I couldn't see any reason, as it's you doing the answering I'll take this as a civil answer
biffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 02:19 PM   #51

Quote:
I had to ask as I couldn't see any reason, as it's you doing the answering I'll take this as a civil answer
Absolutely Biff - just me trying to see it from all sides. Not that I'm that involved with Cowes - but from my time on the ORDA committee I know how difficult it was with people not committing to enter races. But at the same time as an organiser the you are committed to RYA fee's and all the other expenses.

Anyway - hoping that Cowes will be as successful as possible this year and then onwards into the future....

Hopefully catch up with you over there?
Old 28-07-2014, 02:52 PM   #52

Adam you are correct, the fees are discounted up to the 31st.

We want people to enter, and if there is a reasonable cause for them to be late we look at it.

The good news is that the race is fully funded and is going to happen.

I cant wait to be in the start off Cowes in Blastoff with Martini, Dry Martini, Vee, Smokin Aces, Drew and all the others which should number over 15, and may even be 20 if a few others can "get their shit together"! (quote from one competitor)

See you there!
Old 28-07-2014, 03:47 PM   #53

Boat name: snow monkey
Boat make: extreme 24
Engines: mercruiser 6.2

what about the cougar rib,argentum,that looks a lovely boat
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 03:50 PM   #54

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Absolutely Biff - just me trying to see it from all sides. Not that I'm that involved with Cowes - but from my time on the ORDA committee I know how difficult it was with people not committing to enter races. But at the same time as an organiser the you are committed to RYA fee's and all the other expenses.

Anyway - hoping that Cowes will be as successful as possible this year and then onwards into the future....

Hopefully catch up with you over there?
Adam - Do you have an algorithm or spreadsheet to work out your fence sitting balancing act?
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 04:24 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
Adam - Do you have an algorithm or spreadsheet to work out your fence sitting balancing act?
Just try to see it from everyone's point of view - even yours John! Apart from when you are posting after the vino!

I think far more would be achieved if this was more the way in powerboating. But probably won't work as far too many only see things from their own persepective.
Old 28-07-2014, 05:00 PM   #56

Interests: Powerboats,Commentating, Bikes
Boat make: None at the moment
Cruising area: Wherever I can get a ride !

It seems my "Wooden Spoon" stirring has, or is having, the desired effect, or is it just co-incidence ? Far be it for me to claim any credit - that must go to Dorian & his team, including the hard working Sally W., Race Secretary.

Anyway, whatever, the organising committee deserve as much support as possible, & I am happy to note the new entries, & trust more will join them - the months of hard work put in to ensure such an event takes place means the team deserve as much support as they can get.

In respect to the Cougar RIB "Argentum" raced two years ago, my understanding is/was that Steve C raced it on a 'one-off' principle, & the actual boat owner is not interested in the craft being raced in future.
Old 28-07-2014, 05:13 PM   #57

RYA Race v Poker rally

I'm interested to see the numbers for this year. The RYA has a lot to answer for - numbers will always reduce if the RYA rules and regs on organisers are so harsh that in order to comply the price of entry has to be excessively high and increasingly prohibitive. That's on top of the racing licence.

The number of entries has reduced considerably since 2008 and 2009. The Cowes Torquay Cowes event has been diluted. Perhaps this race just isn't enticing enough. It offers nothing to satisfy the history of the race which has been compromised but then the RYA watch the event closely. Perhaps more so after a minor was allowed on board one of the boats on a run to Torquay in a race subsequent to 2009. The terms of Insurance and Health & Safety have to be observed and are ever more costly to provide.

Having witnessed the success of the recent Poker Rally in the Solent and read the comments from those who took part and having heard that even the HMs have written to ML to congratulate him and his team for the success of the event and for the way it was organised and conducted, I can't quite understand why there is such a struggle to make this once great weekend race a success and a challenge to those taking part. A split down the middle race with a stop isn't the Cowes Torquay Cowes challenge it was.

These events don't just happen. A good race, one that is talked about for weeks, months and years afterwards are the ones to remember. They take a huge personal sacrifice from those organising them. Quite often these people put their own money in to try to keep the costs down. They take no end of abuse and flack from all parties to get the race going only to be let down by numbers who semi commit and then don't turn up.

I had a great time taking part in the Poker Rally and would definitely take part in something like that again. The cost is low and I can imagine it didn't cover all expenses. So if I could have the same day out on the water, even at double the cost of the Pirates of the Solent Rally, which would allow those doing the background work to break even and have a Beer and Burger, I would definitely do so. It was a great day that was well organised and the family were all welcomed and included.

The historical event is long gone so why not change the format completely? I don't understand the continued support for the RYA when the RYA is part of the reason for the demise of Offshore Racing in this country. Maybe it is the reason.
Worsforwear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 05:15 PM   #58
The Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
**** me John, a little early for merlot-oclock!

And as for racing Vs Poker Rally. Can the comparisons stop being made please!
Captain Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 05:54 PM   #59

We have another entry for the race........you know the thing we do when we have a number on the side of the boat and we wear crash helmets, and where we don't pussy foot around and keep the pedal to the metal to the finish!

Welcome entry number 12, Boss........!

See you at the start.....which you don't have in a poker run......because you are not racing, you are collecting cards in a boat and having a different type of fun which can NEVER be compared to racing EVER!
Old 28-07-2014, 06:32 PM   #60

Interests: Powerboating, Squash, Running, Horseracing
Boat name: FAT BOY
Boat make: Cougar 27'
Engines: EVINRUDE G2 300
Cruising area: Orwell, Harwich, East Coast

Send a message via AIM to Childsy
Argentum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
what about the cougar rib,argentum,that looks a lovely boat
http://www.boatshop24.co.uk/advert/c...er-gb/41758787
Do you have any spare cash Carl....!!
Best looking Rib ever built... simply awesome....!!

Childsy is offline   Reply With Quote