woteva!

Gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2006, 09:13 AM   #23
Chief C*nt!

Interests: Boats
Boat make: Other people's mostly

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Fuller
Who said anything about supplying, or selling videos?

Assumption is the mother of all ****-ups, remember?

firstly, Sowester, have to the best of my knowledge, been gone for a few years now.

Secondly, I've converted an old ragged VHS to DVD for Mike, and may, ..do a short highlights video for the forum. Not offering them for sale, with, or without a Chaudron sticker.

I aint...claiming it to be my design, and I aint..making any money out of it, come to think of it, all the videos, all the events, running this forum/website, etc, has done nothing but cost me (and Matt) money, for nearly 4 years now, and I've never made a feckin bean out of it!
Still doesn't mean it's yours to reproduce and distribute though.

If I splashed a Phantom 28 (after all, they've "been gone for a few years now") and gave it away, would that be OK?

Old 13-07-2006, 09:15 AM   #24
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Rocket
Still doesn't mean it's yours to reproduce and distribute though.

If I splashed a Phantom 28 (after all, they've "been gone for a few years now") and gave it away, would that be OK?
No, but it would be fkkn stupid!

I haven't distributed anything, find me a forum member, who i've sent images/video to, that I haven't shot myself!

Feckin ribnobba!

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2006, 09:18 AM   #25
Chief C*nt!

Always nice to get a bit of rational and thoughtful debate!
Old 13-07-2006, 09:36 AM   #26
numbskull

Quote:
I haven't distributed anything, find me a forum member, who i've sent images/video to, that I haven't shot myself!

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Old 13-07-2006, 09:39 AM   #27

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Always nice to get a bit of rational and thoughtful debate!
As neither of the companies who were involved in this film exist anymore then the intellectual property rights do not exist either. So in theory anyone with an original of this film can do as they wish and therefore this argument is pointless.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2006, 11:09 AM   #28
Chief C*nt!

Quote:
In that case I am very impressed with your camera work on the round britain footage that you linked to on the first post in this thread!
Old 13-07-2006, 11:11 AM   #29
Chief C*nt!

Quote:
Originally posted by OldMan
As neither of the companies who were involved in this film exist anymore then the intellectual property rights do not exist either. So in theory anyone with an original of this film can do as they wish and therefore this argument is pointless.
I'm not sure that you're right about that (well, the pointless bit is probably right). Intellectual rights don't cease to exist simply because a company stops trading.
Old 13-07-2006, 11:55 AM   #30
numbskull

Now look ere Kennett, carry on being pedantic like this, and I'll be forced to post your RIBnet stuff urging anyone wanting a rib, to "splash a hardboat, as it's the done thing" , you know the one, you accidentally deleted it a month or so back after I sent you a link to it.

Lucky for you I saved that page, or it could have been lost forever!

Old 13-07-2006, 12:40 PM   #31
Chief C*nt!

I didn't delete it you buffoon. It's here: http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31

It might not be the "right" thing to do, but if someone wanted to have a go at building themselves a RIB as a one-off it would make perfect sense [1]. You're very passionate about intellectual property rights when it suits you, aren't you?

[1] Of course, I'd agree that passing it off as your own design, and using it to make boats to sell would definitely be unethical
Old 13-07-2006, 01:09 PM   #32
numbskull

Quote:
You're very passionate about intellectual property rights when it suits you, aren't you?
Yes.

But I think the parallels you're trying to draw between my steadfast hatered of people like Chaudron and Leeway and the issue of these 20 year old videos, are severely flawed.

I'm fairly sure, that in most cases, where these old videos were produced, often by companies that no longer exist and on the whole, lost over the years, except for the odd copy that shows up from time to time (hence the excitement when one does), and I/we post them on this site for people to enjoy, there would very rarely be any objection.

If there was still a copyright issue, and subsequent objection, the owner would, if he was aware, contact us (boatmad) and ask for it to be removed from the site, which of course we would do imediately, and in fact have done in the past.

The comparison of that, to my usual objection to people wanting to make a living from someone elses work, and in some cases, even claim that work to be their own, is I think, very different.

This is especially so when the original producer of the product, whatever it may be, is still trying to sell his/her product them selves, possibly to re-coup the investment made in the early stages of production, and find themselves competing with someone selling what is effectively the same product, though probably inferior, at a reduced cost over the genuine artcle. (for obvious reasons)

Do me a favour and call up Chaudron and ask them to remove their entire range of boats from their website, and brochure, and see if you get a 'yes, ok, we'll stop making them now, sorry if we offended anyone'.....I rather doubt it.

I actually think, that generally speaking, once you post something on the internet, you pretty much give up the rights to it, and i'm certain that many of the videos we've produced, and posted, have been copied, and re-broadcasted in some way. I'm happy with that, and if I wasn't, I shouldn't have posted them in the first place, or at least should have posted a very low resolution version, so it's not worth copying.

(BTW, the above statement doesn't count for fat useless old tubbs of lard that run ribbing websites)

I think splashing a boat, and making a living from that tooling, is rather different, as is, taking a video file directly from a aerial photography company, mass duplicating it, and sharing the cost of the single purchase. It would also, regardless of rights & wrongs, be very short sighted.

I think all of the above is common sense and perfectly reasonable, if the consesus says otherwise, we'll have a re-think in the gallery, and only host pics & videos that we either produced ourselves, or have specific permission to re-produce.

bring it on.

Old 13-07-2006, 01:10 PM   #33

Jon, if you sent me a copy and i video'd it with me new high definition camcorder and burn it to DVD then surely it aint the same thing any more cos id put my own stamp on it.

Let me share a copyright issue with you:

When our 15 year old son died of Cancer almost 2 years ago, we decided to put a nice circular teak bench around a large tree next to his grave with an inscription on it from a song by one of his favourite bands. Ignoring the Fact that the Council didnt want to let us put a bench in a cemetary that had no seating anywhere, they were adamant that we could not use the Lyrics from a song due to copyright. Furious my wife instructed our solicitor to write to the Band (in America asking for permission). After some considerable time and not having received a reply, we were instructed by our solicitor that we could go ahead with our plans as we had made every effort to obtain permission & that a lack of response from the artist implied that they had no objection to the use of their lyrics. The Council accepted this and the bench proudly sits in the Cemetary displaying the lyrics for all to see.

Apparently, copyright does not protect material on its own. It is the responsibility of the material owner to seek the misuse of his material and then prosecute with the backing of the Copyright Law.

Anyway, whats for tea?
Jon Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2006, 03:17 PM   #34
Chief C*nt!

Quote:
But the parallels you're trying to draw between my steadfast hatered of people like Chaudron and Leeway and the issue of these 20 year old videos, is severely damaged
Nah, the priciple's the same. It's just a matter of degree. As a highly principled man I'm sure you understand really.
Quote:
If there was still a copyright issue, and subsequent objection, the owner would, if he was aware, contact us (boatmad) and ask for it to be removed from the site, which of course we would do imediately, and in fact have done in the past.
So you have a proven track record of distributing material that you don't have rights to.
Quote:
This is especially so when the original producer of the product, whatever it may be, is still trying to sell his/her product them selves, possibly to re-coup the investment made in the early stages of production.
Ah, so once the design costs of a hull have been recouped it's OK to splash it? At least that sets a benchmark!
Quote:
(BTW, the above statement doesn't count for fat useless old tubbs of lard that run ribbing websites)
Blimey, there's no need to be like that. I'm only pulling your leg. And anyway, I'm big boned.

Oh, that RIB web site!
Quote:

bring it on.
Old 13-07-2006, 04:06 PM   #35
numbskull

Quote:

Nah, the priciple's the same. It's just a matter of degree.
Like I said, you're being pedantic, but it's no less than I'd expect of a ribber, or, as us hardboaters call them, 'Vermin'.

Quote:
So you have a proven track record of distributing material that you don't have rights to.
Nope, I have a proven track record of 'hosting' material with, in some instances, unknown origins or contact details for owner of copyright, if it exists. And if a complaint is received (which on one occasion, one was) I/we remove the material imediately.

Quote:
Ah, so once the design costs of a hull have been recouped it's OK to splash it? At least that sets a benchmark!
No, and I didn't say that, you did.

Quote:
Blimey, there's no need to be like that. I'm only pulling your leg. And anyway, I'm big boned.....

Oh, that RIB web site!
Dunno, which one are you thinking of John?

Old 13-07-2006, 04:40 PM   #36

Feck me… no CC.. that ain’t an invitation….. go away for a well deserved holiday and ‘uggin World War 3 breaks out between a “Boatless Ribnobba”… and a “Ribless Boatnobba”…. What is this site coming to ?…..and now, as a “Ribless Ribnobba”..and a “Boatless Boatnobba”.. I think I have a right to say “feck off the pair of ya”…

More importantly… where’s the best place to buy… or steal… a ‘uggin huge V8 petrol and drive pleasy weasy?

…and before Gareth or Gordon pipes up… yeah, yeah.. I was 'uggin tired.. OK?
Old 13-07-2006, 05:04 PM   #37
numbskull

PS. I've 'splashed' your fishing smilie, and if you come looking for any royalties, you can 'swivel'!

Old 13-07-2006, 05:30 PM   #38

Jon, does that kennet nobstick always come in with the same IP? I think it might be time to redirect any attempt he makes to download/view items from the gallery to somewhere more appropriate. He obviously needs saving from himself, so we should redirect him to some sites from closer to home that he'll be more familiar with.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2006, 05:53 PM   #39

Boat make: Phantom 23

Send a message via MSN to RossM
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt
Jon, does that kennet nobstick always come in with the same IP? I think it might be time to redirect any attempt he makes to download/view items from the gallery to somewhere more appropriate. He obviously needs saving from himself, so we should redirect him to some sites from closer to home that he'll be more familiar with.
GENUIS! is that actually possible??
RossM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2006, 05:58 PM   #40

Yep.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote