Boatmad.com

Old 12-09-2010, 11:26 AM   #1
Nick aka nitro9

Interests: Long time windsurfer and mountain biker and really enjoy loud engines! Boats, dragsters or old airplanes.. its all good!

CTC films from Hurst

Hi guys
Though a regular lurker on this forum, this is my first post.
I took a bunch of films of the racers coming back through Hurst.. uploaded the first one to Youtube this morning and heres the link

Will upload the rest later today.. amazing to see how many came home.. best CTC ever I reckon.

nitro9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:08 PM   #2
Nick aka nitro9

Interests: Long time windsurfer and mountain biker and really enjoy loud engines! Boats, dragsters or old airplanes.. its all good!

Hot Lemon

Cinzano

Old 12-09-2010, 05:46 PM   #3
Ben

Interests: Quiet desperation
Boat name: A Little Noisy
Boat make: Excalibur 24
Engines: Express Racing 525
Cruising area: Mobjack Bay (where?)

Good videos nitro9. Thanks for posting them.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:30 PM   #4

Uno-embassy

Thanks for the footage of Uno - Embassy. We were able to wind her up a bit as the fuel load reduced. Long saga but we had over -sized props and started to smoke a bit more as we neared home.

A 40 year old boat which we restored for the race. A finish would have been fine and it was. It was my first ever powerboat race and just a great experience. You correctly observed that we smashed the screen - exactly the same happened in 1976 the last time it raced before a 34 year sleep.

Luckily we had Mike Mantle on throttles - a safe pair of hand behind Portland where it got quite punchy.

Rob Gray
Rob Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:36 PM   #5

Uno-embassy

Thanks for the footage of Uno - Embassy. We were able to wind her up a bit as the fuel load reduced. Long saga but we had over -sized props and started to we smoke a bit more as we neared home.

A 40 year old boat which we restored for the race. A finish would have been fine and it was. It was my first ever powerboat race ever and just a great experience. You correctly observed that we smashed the screen - exactly the same happened in 1976 the last time it raced before a 34 year sleep.

Luckily we had Mike Mantle on throttles - a safe pair of hand behind Portland where it got quite punchy.

Rob Grayf
Old 12-09-2010, 09:50 PM   #6

Uno-embassy

Thanks for the footage of Uno - Embassy. We were able to wind her up a bit as the fuel load reduced. Long saga but we had over -sized props and started to we smoke a bit more as we neared home.

A 40 year old boat which we restored for the race. A finish would have been fine and it was. It was my first ever powerboat race ever and just a great experience. You correctly observed that we smashed the screen - exactly the same happened in 1976 the last time it raced before a 34 year sleep.

Rob Grayf
Old 12-09-2010, 09:54 PM   #7
Le Cat

Boat name: Le Cat
Boat make: Argo Cat 18
Engines: Mercury 2.4EFI
Cruising area: Paris

Triple posting !!!
FrenchPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:14 PM   #8
Nick aka nitro9

The rest of the watchable movies I took from Hurst. Apologies for the shaking, particularly on the Swipes movie.. but hey it was hell out there clinging onto the end of that shingle bank!

Kera Coll sans beer cooler/life raft

Fury dodging the yachts

Grey Ghost just making it look easy

Apache looking like they were enjoying every minute

Swipewipes 'submarining' through the tide race - Looks like you were carrying a bit of extra water ballast maybe
Old 12-09-2010, 10:22 PM   #9
Nick aka nitro9

Glad you liked the film Rob. and thank you for bringing that beautiful machine to the race and for blasting home too!
Seeing Uno Embassy race in 2010 was just like being a kid all over again.. the years pass but the feelings the same.. nothing compares to the sound and sight of power on water. Just cant believe that after all these years im stood at the end of that damned shingle bank watching powerboats!
Old 13-09-2010, 12:29 AM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Gray View Post
Clearly - Need to talk about my commission for that hire!
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 05:46 AM   #11
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro9 View Post
Swipewipes 'submarining' through the tide race - Looks like you were carrying a bit of extra water ballast maybe
We had one sick motor by then, and also it turned out we had 50 odd gallons of water in the bilge due to a combination of taking the tops off multiple waves and failed bilge pumps.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 10:24 AM   #12

Thanks for that nitro, first bit of footage I ve seen of the old rubber tub.......
Grey Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 02:48 PM   #13

Shingle at Hurst!

Sorry about the multiple posts - still trying to master the new IPad toy!

Great clips. Lemon and Ghost seem to ride sooooooo well. And Tony T will love that rooster and the whoopee wave as the growl past. All just super archive footage now.

The whole experience was new - first time in a powerboat race for 3 out of 4 crew! I had no idea what was involved when I indulged in extraordinarily expensive bar talk and called up Dick Benge. I thought you filled up with petrol turned the key and you go. Hm - innocent naivety is a mighty weapon if you survive the dénouement of reality! We were dead lucky - ton have Bontoft and Eric Krume and the Cordials who all got us to the line. Randy Garciga of Cobra who trusted me to pay for emergency engines. Mike M was reassuringly experienced - as we say in aviation, 'there are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are no old bold pilots'. I certainly did not expect to come back with a smashed screen. But was too stupid to know to be concerned.

When we got to you at Hurst we were just beginning to believe that we might make it. We just floored it down the Solent in familiar waters and took Hurst quite tight. You can pretty much go on the beach as you know.

The problems now though are extremely grave. I enjoyed it so much that I want to do it again. There appears to be no known cure for this illness - judging from a quick look around the docks and the participants with that far-off look in their eyes. I blame John Moore who assured me it would all be OK ....

Embassy will be conserved and lightly used. But this now means I may have to find .............. at least I have a spare pair of 900 hp Teagues ........

Thanks again for the footage. It was one of the most amazing days of my life and that small clip brings it back to life.

All the best.

Rob
Old 13-09-2010, 04:20 PM   #14

Boat make: Apache
Cruising area: South coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro9 View Post
The rest of the watchable movies I took from Hurst. Apologies for the shaking, particularly on the Swipes movie.. but hey it was hell out there clinging onto the end of that shingle bank!

Kera Coll sans beer cooler/life raft

Fury dodging the yachts

Grey Ghost just making it look easy

Apache looking like they were enjoying every minute

Nitro

Many thanks for the video from Hurst, great to see some footage. Glad we looked like we were enjoying it as we really did have a great day.

TT
TonyToll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 04:25 PM   #15

Interests: burning fuel
Boat name: obsession
Boat make: extreme 24/ scarab 30
Engines: extreme=496HO scarab=twin 5.7L + gale banks twin turbo on trs
Cruising area: Guernsey, herm, sark etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
We had one sick motor by then, and also it turned out we had 50 odd gallons of water in the bilge due to a combination of taking the tops off multiple waves and failed bilge pumps.
If you don't mind me asking; what was up with the engine and why did the bilge pumps fail?
lain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 07:03 PM   #16
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lain View Post
If you don't mind me asking; what was up with the engine and why did the bilge pumps fail?
Engine down a few hundred revs after CTC, don't know why yet. It looks like the impellors fell off the shafts on both bilge pumps, as they wuuuurrrrr, but don't pump water any more.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 08:09 PM   #17

Talking great vids

Thanks nitro 9 for those vids. Was also at hurst with a friend .there really were some great boats and its great hearing them roar past whether it be portland or hurst.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 09:08 PM   #18
Nick aka nitro9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost View Post
Thanks for that nitro, first bit of footage I ve seen of the old rubber tub.......
Glad you liked the film clip i took.. I dont know why no-ones come up with any footage of you guys and your 'rubber tub'.. have to say you really were making easy work of Hurst narrows.. fast, flat and smooth!
Old 13-09-2010, 09:23 PM   #19
Nick aka nitro9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Gray View Post
We just floored it down the Solent in familiar waters and took Hurst quite tight. You can pretty much go on the beach as you know.
Thanks Rob and all you guys for cutting it tight on Hurst.. sound and sights were awesome.. and yep theres plenty of deep water right up near to the beach.. i guess the only problem cutting it tight might be a surprise stationary object/boat fighting the tide just around the corner!
Hope we see you run the boat again soon.. maybe a sunnier and calmer day next time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Was also at hurst with a friend .there really were some great boats and its great hearing them roar past whether it be portland or hurst.
Glad you liked them Marc.. a bit of a windy viewpoint eh.. but good wasnt it!! and that sound as they blasted past.. just dont get that in any other motorsport.
Old 13-09-2010, 11:00 PM   #20

Interests: Boats, skiing pets
Cruising area: wherever there is work!

Loved the footage of Cinzano will have to get there next year could not see anything where we were thanks Claire Smillie

Mrs Smillie is offline   Reply With Quote