Boatmad.com

Old 16-04-2010, 09:08 PM   #21

Boat make: None, boo!
Engines: Turbines mainly!
Cruising area: The inside of my workshop!

Steve - Don't forget you need to attend tuesday in order to train for the race, it'll be great to have you along!

Cheers, James

https://www.jl-innovation.co.uk

The true test of a man is how he treats someone of absolutely no use to him.
larby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 09:33 PM   #22
topgun

Interests: Boats/bikes/Black label
Boat name: Flash Back/Avenger/Anchor Management
Boat make: Sunseeker San Remo/mini cougar/Cougar cat 25/Avenger 21
Engines: San Remo 2x Volvo 5.7 v8/mini cougar Yamaha 25/Cougar 2x twin spark Yam V6/Avenger has volvo 300v8
Cruising area: C.I.Waters

Quote:
Originally Posted by larby View Post
Steve - Don't forget you need to attend tuesday in order to train for the race, it'll be great to have you along!

Cheers, James
Bit of a laugh that really, it used to be me taking out the new racers for their test.
I have been racing since the late 70,s but if thats what big brother wants hey ho

Incidentally who is more qualified or experienced than me to decide if i can race or not !!

Steve

topgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 10:09 PM   #23

Very valid point. As you know the GPA has always tested new racers, but there's never been such a big gap (10 years) in racing before, so arguably everyone's 'new' again. Also the RYA now requires testing of people who are new or haven't held a race licence for some time.
Granted, you probably really don't need it, but like all things, we've got to draw a line somewhere. In order to cover our backs, it's easiest for us to just test everyone en-mass this year, rather than engage in who is and isn't able to just go out and race. Even those who used to race locally haven't done so for 10 years, which is a long time. At the end of the day, those who know what they're doing have nothing to worry about!

People testing will be those with experience in that type of boat, I'd imagine it'll be Steve Nicolle in the main chase boat next weekend, with Paul Mahy and other committee members present, so we've got some decent experience in there!

James

Old 16-04-2010, 10:32 PM   #24
topgun

Engines: San Remo 2x Volvo 5.7 v8/mini cougar Yamaha 25/Cougar 2x twin spark Yam V6/Avenger has volvo 300v8

Quote:
Very valid point. As you know the GPA has always tested new racers, but there's never been such a big gap (10 years) in racing before, so arguably everyone's 'new' again. Also the RYA now requires testing of people who are new or haven't held a race licence for some time.
Granted, you probably really don't need it, but like all things, we've got to draw a line somewhere. In order to cover our backs, it's easiest for us to just test everyone en-mass this year, rather than engage in who is and isn't able to just go out and race. Even those who used to race locally haven't done so for 10 years, which is a long time. At the end of the day, those who know what they're doing have nothing to worry about!

People testing will be those with experience in that type of boat, I'd imagine it'll be Steve Nicolle in the main chase boat next weekend, with Paul Mahy and other committee members present, so we've got some decent experience in there!

James
Hi Larby,

It is more the principal of it all, nothing to do with having anything to worry about I would gladly put my trophy case up against anybody elses.
With ref to a ten year gap it is not as though i have just woken from a coma, i have set up and run many fast boats over the last ten years with H/O Evinrudes and twin engined ribs that top out at over 60 knots.
The main reason for not racing recently was purely the cost involved under the RYA banner compared to how things were as a locally run club, most of the Guernsey boats are pleasure boats first and race boats second.

I have always been a racer, it does not matter what class or who is out there to chase but I do get fed up with needless beurocracy and I think this is what is affecting race numbers over here.

Steve
Old 16-04-2010, 10:45 PM   #25

You may well be right, but it's a situation out of our control. For what it's worth, I don't see the testing as needless, quite the opposite. It doesn't cost anything, serves as a useful shakedown and ensures everyone out there is curently able to race the boat they own. The last thing we want is any form of incident.
The whole world is not as it used to be, but we're not gonna just give up on racing all together due to a bit of paperwork.

Anyhoo, I don't really feel this is the place to discuss such matters, if you'd like to chat about it feel free to give me a call, PM or email.
It'd be great to have you at the first race, hope to see you tuesday

James

Old 16-04-2010, 10:54 PM   #26
topgun

Quote:
You may well be right, but it's a situation out of our control. For what it's worth, I don't see the testing as needless, quite the opposite. It doesn't cost anything, serves as a useful shakedown and ensures everyone out there is curently able to race the boat they own. The last thing we want is any form of incident.
The whole world is not as it used to be, but we're not gonna just give up on racing all together due to a bit of paperwork.

Anyhoo, I don't really feel this is the place to discuss such matters, if you'd like to chat about it feel free to give me a call, PM or email.
It'd be great to have you at the first race, hope to see you tuesday

James
No worries Larby,

I will be there Tuesday, it would be great to get the club back to the numbers we had racing a few years ago.
I guess we all have idea's on how to improve things, it just proves how passionately some of us feel about the sport.

Steve
Old 17-04-2010, 08:42 AM   #27

Great, look forward to seeing you!

Have a chat with myself and Paul if you like, we could do with all that extra passion helping to get things going right now

James