Boatmad.com

Old 03-10-2010, 09:20 AM   #1

Interests: photography, powerboat racing, motogp, anything that goes fast!

Lymington Race Pics

Just a few pics from Sat Race taken from the Island.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	L C 1.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	27196   Click image for larger version

Name:	LC 2.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	27197   Click image for larger version

Name:	LC 4.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	27198   Click image for larger version

Name:	LC 8.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	283.7 KB
ID:	27199   Click image for larger version

Name:	LC 13.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	286.5 KB
ID:	27200  

Name:	LC 15.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	256.5 KB
ID:	27201   Click image for larger version

Name:	LC 10.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	243.8 KB
ID:	27202  

snapper66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:27 AM   #2

Interests: Yodelling
Boat name: Veni Vidi Vici or Conked
Boat make: G.P.14
Engines: 4h.p. Mercury
Cruising area: Cap de Agde

How did the trimaran no.8 go?

Old 03-10-2010, 10:08 AM   #3

Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowdy View Post
Not sure how it finished as we left a little early but was going very well for at least the first 2 laps! Looked very level but kinda strange on the water tho!

Any final results yet?
billy no boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:19 AM   #4

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowdy View Post
The IceMarine Tri Hull came home 1st overall overtaking Darren Hook on the last lap, must have been shifting to beat Darren in those waters!

It simply looked the business.
ML.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:28 AM   #5
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

P1 Press release:

SUPERSTOCK CHAMPIONS CROWNED IN LYMINGTON
Heights of Abraham and Grandstand Motor Sports became the inaugural Powerboat P1 SuperStock Champions at the Lymington Grand Prix of the Sea on Saturday.
Rupert Pugh and Dan Whapples finished second in the afternoon’s 300 Class race and rival Maurice Lacroix fifth, as Heights of Abraham powered to its maiden SuperStock Championship trophy with an overall points total of 211.
After winning eight of the previous nine races, the Matlock-based team started the weekend with a 36-point cushion at the top of the standings and Saturday morning’s race cancellation ensured the UK powerboating gold would be travelling back up the M1 to the Midlands.
Heights of Abraham’s delighted driver, Rupert Pugh, said: “We’re over the moon. It’s been a huge effort from the team and we’re already looking forward to coming back next year and retaining our trophy.
“We’ve built up a lot of confidence between driver and navigator and most importantly the boat. We’ve learned to capitalise on the small margins this season and understanding what makes the boat perform at its premium level. I cannot compliment Dan and the rest of the Heights of Abraham team enough. It’s a tremendous privilege to be part of a championship-winning racing team.”
Whapples added: “It’s been a massive challenge all season and to win nine-out-of-eleven races is incredible. We are elated and fully intend to enjoy this moment.”
Double Six Racing duo Brian Caudwell and Neil Cadman took the bronze medal behind Messrs Pugh and Whapples.
Rough Cut Racing stole in to claim the final Maurice Lacroix Chronograph Valgranges prize after a timing penalty denied the boys in blue from clocking up their fourth timepiece of the season.
John Wilson and Neil Scarborough’s triumph was secured despite the 150 Class frontrunners not finishing the weekend’s feature race. Grandstand Motor Sports came off second best in a nasty collision with surprise pacesetter, Aztec Racing, on The Solent, but the team’s phenomenal record from the previous four rounds guaranteed victory for the popular racing duo.
Jubilant Grandstand Motor Sports driver, Wilson, reflected on a sensational year for the 150 Class. “It’s been an absolutely fantastic season and to become the first-ever SuperStock Champions is brilliant,” said Wilson. “We’ve raced in some fantastic venues and the competition has been first class. We’re in a great position to go forward and make this series into something spectacular,” added the winning Warwickshire-based pilot.
He concluded: “We’ve put in hours of practice between races and the team has been on a phenomenal learning curve over the past two years, so we’re thrilled to win the championship with such outstanding competition from a great fleet of teams.”
Team Fox maintained its runner-up position in the series after crossing the finishing line in fourth place and only edged Eclipse by a mere five points as Rose Lores and John Donnelly took second on Saturday ahead of Flying Sparks, who proudly scored back-to-back podium finishes to end the season.
Not to be outshone, GSS Mermaid picked up its first-ever Grand Prix of the Sea trophy as David Hobson and fiancée Kirsty Clark raced to victory after a sensational tussle with Aztec Racing and Grandstand Motor Sports in Saturday’s fast and furious race action.

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper66 View Post
Just a few pics from Sat Race taken from the Island.
Looks like you were struggling to fill em up Dave.Me too at Hurst.

After all that course mapping the P1 stock went as wide as you like.The rest weren`t too bad.It`s the old story of follow the leader.Beats me why the second place boat didn`t do the same line as the ribs and gain a few yards.On the last lap Heights of Abraham finally realised he was doing a naff line and followed the ribs,being as they were all around him showing him the way.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HEIGHTS OF ABRAHAM.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	27218   Click image for larger version

Name:	GSS MERMAID.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	27219  
FLYING FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:49 PM   #7

Goinglean Race report

Mandy's second race ever & we are mustering in our Evo rib (250HO), couldn't help noticing that the fleet were mustering approx 100m behind the start boat who were on yellow, only Gordon was sitting there 30m behind so we made our way up to the start boat just as it started to run... then green.... and we were leading.... for about 30 seconds then the bladerunner & relentless powered past, after another minute the familair sound of Hot Lemon arrived and left and we had a solid fourth as we went up the needles channel, now at this point I have to let you all know a promise I had made..... If my wife wanted to stop... I had promised that I would..... anyway 100m from Bridge Mandy explains that her mouth is dry & she would like to stop for a drink.... well.... we had been running nearly 4 minutes... anyway a promise is a promise so we stopped.... in a pretty big swell, after being overtaken by 4 boats Mandy decided to have a casual chat about how well we had started and we were right up there at the front. we restarted to go around 'Bridge'.... last!!!! .... during muster somebody had said over the radio that the sea at bridge was 2m.... this was a little porky pie as it was easily 3m... later to be confirmed by safety team as 3.5 to 4 with odd 5m.... we are now in the middle of this trying to get our rib back up on and going whilst falling in to every hole there was.... eventually 30mph was achieved and as we rounded 'bridge' I realised that we were in deep Sh#~. the following sea was a touch large & we had no speed and had taken the turn to tight, rather than easy & wide course I had planned.... we did a 180 and put the sea right on our backside.... throttling like a nutter kept us out of the first 2... then as I watched Gordy go past on the line I had intended to take.... we stuffed... big time...... of course the boat was full, I looked at Mandy as the water 'hydrauliced' down the back of her jacket. We had stopped dead... at that point we could see how big the swell was, I zipped the boat over to a safety vessel & Mandy started on the manual bilge. Once cleared we set back off and 200m later the sea was flat again.... lovely. At this point it was agreed in 'our' boat that we did not want to do another lap... enjoyed the rest of that lap then retired gracefully for a cup of Tea and Ice cream.
A great day.... and in a sea state like that & precious cargo on board... you really do appreciate the 22 safety boats that turned out to keep an eye on us... Many Thanks

In the interest of marital harmony.... Team Goinglean have decided to review current team arrangements in 2011

ATB
Goinglean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:47 AM   #8

Cruising area: South Coast

A few pictures from on the water on Saturday.

if anyone has any pictures of the Grey tubed Cougar around hurst castle would love to see them!

Didnt venture too far west for the real action shots as crew were not all that happy floating around in the swell but its a start getting her out to watch the racing!! she even said she enjoyed it so maybe if we can squeeze a bit more speed from the boat we might be racing next year!!

well done to everyone involved and racing!

billy no boat is offline   Reply With Quote