Boatmad.com

Old 17-10-2010, 11:08 AM   #1

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

UKOBA Series 1989

This must be on Boatmad somewhere but it shows how hard UKOBA were working to get powerboat racing on TV with sponsorship back in 1988. No one is doing that sort of promotion anymore which is a pity. It doesn't take much to do a good promo like this.

Good to see the Class 11 Flipper running - remember every minute of those races then. What a sad case i am.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=40242730
ML.

Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 12:30 PM   #2
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Yes, that UKOBA promotional vid was in the BM media gallery pre matt's server meltdown. One of many that needs re-uploading!

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:45 PM   #3

london / calais 1992 last 1

hi new to boat mad so hi to all has anyone got any pic / or air shots of the 1992 L/C race i was a sweep boat in that race in my 26ft bonito mike bellamy was allso sweep boat (28ft phantom) the weather was bad 6 gusting to 8 i would love to see wot it looked like from the air, i remember a plain flew over head and came round every 10min or so any one got any pic of that event would be great
pain -tera 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 12:43 PM   #4

Interests: Boating, power boating...oh and boating!
Boat name: Erica
Boat make: Fairline
Engines: Volvos
Cruising area: The Med......way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lloyd View Post
This must be on Boatmad somewhere but it shows how hard UKOBA were working to get powerboat racing on TV with sponsorship back in 1988. No one is doing that sort of promotion anymore which is a pity. It doesn't take much to do a good promo like this.

Good to see the Class 11 Flipper running - remember every minute of those races then. What a sad case i am.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=40242730
ML.
Mike, my old Phantom I restored around 5 years ago was the championship winner of the UKOBA Championship 1988, pic attached......B-15 sponsored by makita power craft....the bald bloke driving is me...so apologies for that! Ruined a lovely photo!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	speedboat_makita.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	28665  
matty_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 10:24 AM   #5

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty_h View Post
Mike, my old Phantom I restored around 5 years ago was the championship winner of the UKOBA Championship 1988, pic attached......B-15 sponsored by makita power craft....the bald bloke driving is me...so apologies for that! Ruined a lovely photo!
OMG! I remember that boat, the name stuck in my memory. Great boat. 1988, that was a great year for powerboating and it was all down to UKOBA. What a pity we don't have a club like that anymore.
ML.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 12:06 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Quote:
Originally Posted by pain -tera 28 View Post
hi new to boat mad so hi to all has anyone got any pic / or air shots of the 1992 L/C race i was a sweep boat in that race in my 26ft bonito mike bellamy was allso sweep boat (28ft phantom) the weather was bad 6 gusting to 8 i would love to see wot it looked like from the air, i remember a plain flew over head and came round every 10min or so any one got any pic of that event would be great
'92 was pretty flat, and we only went to Ramsgate. Some raceboats did a rally over to Calais - (Richard Carr in his class one Cougar Cat).

I seem to remember Dick Strutton as one of the sweep boats, Stuart and Francis Witley were probably the last boat into Ramsgate on the Saturday.

Most then took the ferry to Calais and had a party over there, returning to Ramsgate the next morning and then racing back to Canary Wharf.
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 12:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
'92 was pretty flat, and we only went to Ramsgate. Some raceboats did a rally over to Calais - (Richard Carr in his class one Cougar Cat).

I seem to remember Dick Strutton as one of the sweep boats, Stuart and Francis Witley were probably the last boat into Ramsgate on the Saturday.

Most then took the ferry to Calais and had a party over there, returning to Ramsgate the next morning and then racing back to Canary Wharf.
yes you are correct it was flat all the way to ramsgate soon as you turned the headland to dover and across channle it got rough Mike Bellamy jump in Dicks boat for the crossing as he blew a turbo going into Ramsgate, was Stuart and Francis in a p 16 tandem ? if so they later came to allhallows club and thanked us even gave us a little trophy i remember one wanted to go across the other didnt ,must have been the driver that wanted to go because they got there in the end story i got was if it got any worse they were going to stop the ferries going . i was woken up sunday morn by the sound of lambo engines being reved from the big cat think they may have put in a new motor ?? are there any pic CIAO wot boat were you in
Old 18-12-2010, 12:57 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Quote:
yes you are correct it was flat all the way to ramsgate soon as you turned the headland to dover and across channle it got rough Mike Bellamy jump in Dicks boat for the crossing as he blew a turbo going into Ramsgate, was Stuart and Francis in a p 16 tandem ? if so they later came to allhallows club and thanked us even gave us a little trophy i remember one wanted to go across the other didnt ,must have been the driver that wanted to go because they got there in the end story i got was if it got any worse they were going to stop the ferries going . i was woken up sunday morn by the sound of lambo engines being reved from the big cat think they may have put in a new motor ?? are there any pic CIAO wot boat were you in
I have never seen any shots. Stuart & Francis were in a Shakespeare cat I think.

I was with Roy Smith in Heavy Metal Class 3B, we won both legs.
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 09:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lloyd View Post
OMG! I remember that boat, the name stuck in my memory. Great boat. 1988, that was a great year for powerboating and it was all down to UKOBA. What a pity we don't have a club like that anymore.
ML.
Hi Mike,

It was a lovely boat, one of the first to be completely built of Kevlar and composite, I restored it to original racing colours with all its wins too...real eye catcher with the sharks mouth......Im gutted I sold it really, but brought a bigger and better one as you do, but really miss the old girl. Ill see if I can get anymore pics and forward them on to you.
Matt
Old 21-12-2010, 12:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Hi Mike,

It was a lovely boat, one of the first to be completely built of Kevlar and composite, I restored it to original racing colours with all its wins too...real eye catcher with the sharks mouth......Im gutted I sold it really, but brought a bigger and better one as you do, but really miss the old girl. Ill see if I can get anymore pics and forward them on to you.
Matt
hi matty i remember that boat lived at allhallows for years if its the same one Jeff Bird raced it he emted my stainless steel nuts and bolds box rigging it .if same boat then he would prob have loads pic
Old 21-12-2010, 01:54 PM   #11

Quote:
hi matty i remember that boat lived at allhallows for years if its the same one Jeff Bird raced it he emted my stainless steel nuts and bolds box rigging it .if same boat then he would prob have loads pic
Hello mate,

OMG...yes it was raced by Jeff Bird, his name was written down the starboard side, which unfortunately is on the oppposite to my photograph!...that little Phantom had some real racing history to its name!...now im kicking myself for selling it!

matt
Old 21-12-2010, 02:02 PM   #12

p16

Quote:
Hello mate,

OMG...yes it was raced by Jeff Bird, his name was written down the starboard side, which unfortunately is on the oppposite to my photograph!...that little Phantom had some real racing history to its name!...now im kicking myself for selling it!

matt
hi matty-h if you do need to get intouch with Jeff i am sure i can get hold of him for you i think he still lives at allhallows i posted on your new pro thread if they cant help you i am sure they will know some one who can i am just across the river from you so i will prob see you out in you new boat
Old 21-12-2010, 03:26 PM   #13

Quote:
hi matty-h if you do need to get intouch with Jeff i am sure i can get hold of him for you i think he still lives at allhallows i posted on your new pro thread if they cant help you i am sure they will know some one who can i am just across the river from you so i will prob see you out in you new boat
Your more than welcome to join me when 'Fast Buck' the DS110 is up and running and back home. Hopefully mid January if all goes well. She is also another ex racer from 78-80 with some good history too. Hit on the 'historic' tab and look under the topic of 'Ds110'....my e-mail address is there too if you ever fancy keeping in touch.

As for contact to Jeff....I would just love some old photos of 'Makita Phantom' for my archives....so any help would be much appreciated.

Best Wishes
Matt