Old 02-09-2009, 09:49 PM   #41

Interests: Powerboats and Rugby
Boat name: C96 Fast Air
Boat make: Ocke Mannerfelt B-23
Engines: Mercury 200XS
Cruising area: Channel Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
Thats the one Jacques...If you want a wager.......Sark and back is always fun...

Larby what have you started!!

all this competition is very healthy though...

Tone - if you want to pitch your rib against the race boats, next years 'Round The Island Race' is the one mate!! ill be on the start line..

Big V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:52 PM   #42

Boat make: Argo 21
Engines: 2.5 EFI

Round the island race? I cant wait!! Its gonna b incredible!

scooby_hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:03 PM   #43

Boat make: None, boo!
Engines: Turbines mainly!
Cruising area: The inside of my workshop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby_hugh View Post
Actually larby i overtook you right after you broke down on the second? Lap
Erm, you mean after i retired with an orange flag up?? Seriously mate, well done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big V View Post
when are you going to race anyway?

ring 21 with a 200 sat in the marina while we are out there racing
Hah! He can't even manage to help out, let alone race!! He had the opportunity to race and let me down. Besides, his boat wasn't sat in the marina, he was out having a jolly time while the rest of us did all the work remember!

Quote:
Larby what have you started!!
Tell me about it!! I'm always the one stirring up a bit of controvecy though, I'm happy sitting here watching everyone argue about who's the fastest this year, it's blatently gonna be me next year, unless dean pulls out his 600hp P25 for a blast!!!
Besides, most importantly, after the rebuild, I'll be the one doing it in style!!

James

https://www.jl-innovation.co.uk

The true test of a man is how he treats someone of absolutely no use to him.
larby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:13 PM   #44

Interests: Boating/4x4s/Fast Cars
Boat name: Namotu
Boat make: Extreme 24
Engines: 383 Mag Stroker
Cruising area: Channel Isles

Quote:
No Andy.
On paper you did... You were ahead of them into the first corner... but they won the race
Old 02-09-2009, 10:15 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dutch View Post
Andy you are alive ?
YOU SHOULD BE RACING WUS !
Alive and kicking... A mixture of dropping phones in the sea and changing networks meant i had no phone for quite a while though...

Yes, I should be racing... Only a few more payments on my engine and I'll have money to spend again...
Old 02-09-2009, 10:16 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby_hugh View Post
Andys too scared he'll void his precious warranty... Andy two words... : alien cowl!! Job done
Carefull! They read this forum you know!!
Old 02-09-2009, 10:19 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by larby View Post
Hah! He can't even manage to help out, let alone race!! He had the opportunity to race and let me down. Besides, his boat wasn't sat in the marina, he was out having a jolly time while the rest of us did all the work remember!
Oi! I took your side earlier!

Your right though, I had an jolly afternoon watching all the boats fly by... well most of them

Look forward to seeing the her with the supercharger though!
Old 02-09-2009, 10:33 PM   #48

I'll let you off then, would've been good if you'd done you're 'committee bit' on the day though, what's happened to you being on the GPA lately, you seemed so keen at first?

She should be good when she's done with the supercharger, all joking aside, I've got big plans for her and just hope to have her all sorted in time for a good, relatively hassle free year of boating and racing, regardless of whether i win or not! I'm not sure i can afford or justify another year like this one!

James

Old 02-09-2009, 10:43 PM   #49

Quote:

Tell me about it!! I'm always the one stirring up a bit of controvecy though, I'm happy sitting here watching everyone argue about who's the fastest this year, it's blatently gonna be me next year

James
This banter is brilliant!

you will blatently be the fastest? You are building yourself up mate, heaping the pressure on yourself haha

where did you get all these parts from? Guernsey?

Andy - what was the crack with you that race weekend. You didnt even turn up to sign on. we thought you would guard boat and help out as you are a committee member.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:57 AM   #50

Ha ha, i don't mind building it up, I'm confident!
Yeah I got it all from a guy over here, it's amazing what people have around when you ask about enough!

James

Old 03-09-2009, 08:48 AM   #51
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
I've got big plans for her and just hope to have her all sorted in time for a good, relatively hassle free year of boating and racing, regardless of whether i win or not! I'm not sure i can afford or justify another year like this one!

James
Is a forced induction gasoline the sensible way to go then?

Not wishing to teach anyone to suck eggs, but getting it right can be tricky, and the consequences of getting it wrong can be catastrophic.

Jon
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:50 AM   #52

Interests: burning fuel
Boat name: obsession
Boat make: extreme 24/ scarab 30
Engines: extreme=496HO scarab=twin 5.7L + gale banks twin turbo on trs
Cruising area: Guernsey, herm, sark etc.

something you might want to consider as well is the safety aspect. All of us over here are only novices after all, and I'm sure you can remember how nervous you were on race day. And racing isn't a 5 minute blast it's 40+ minutes of controlling your boat at speed where you will push it a lot harder than normal and take more risks, something we never do apart from racing. I know I was knackered by the time I broke down and I was racing at 70mph, and I think you were hoping for mid 80's

And if you are only aiming for 550-600hp you can achieve that easily without the blower, with an exhaust, manifold, different cam etc and have the power without the drive crushing torque. and then at least you wont be constantly paying a lot in extra fuel to power that blower, and also wont have to cut the hatch which might be another problem.

Then there's the handicap system, god knows what they will do when they see that massive scoop attached to your engine bay?

And at the moment I think 500hp in your boat will give you the edge over Jacques and keep you at a similar speed to me, which might help us get a separate fair handicap to all the dedicated race boats.

I get the feeling I know what you're going to do though
lain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:01 PM   #53

I see what you're saying, and Jon's right, forced induction petrol engines aren't necessarily the most reliable in the world, but if built properly i can't see it being too bad.
To get similar power from a N/A engine with less torque would mean higher revs which to me would incurr far more cost building a high compression, high revving N/A motor.
I'm planning to change pistons etc to deal with the blower, and at 5psi tops I'd imagine it'll all be fairly under stressed for a supercharger setup? You're right about the torque killing the drive but i don't really plan any heavy launches which would strain it the most.

The 'charger is one of Dean's old ones and i know he successfully ran a pair of them in the back of a formula for years with no issues, I've got him on hand to offer advice on how to build mine too.

Only about 5% of my reason for this build is to win races, it's more about realising a dream to me. If i wanted to win races, I'd put a promax on the back of a P21, or buy a batboat.
I've always longed for a big supercharged v8 powerboat, and in a few years when i buy a house, that dream will be impossible, so now is my last chance. Granted, it may not be the most sensible option in the world, but owning a boat in the first place isn't a sensible option, we all know they're a total waste of money! I like to be different, a bit crazy, and where possible faster than others. I've never taken the 'sensible option' in my entire life!
Rick, you're right, I'm still doing it, and i rekon it'll be fine. Yeah i'll probably blow a drive or two along the way, but that's why i've got a spare, it'll be darn good fun though, that's for sure!!
Seriously though, thanks for the opinions guys, i do at least like to go into things with my eyes open. Look on the bright side, at least i'm not trying to shoehorn in a jet engine or anything. The engine bay isn't long enough, i checked

James

Old 03-09-2009, 09:10 PM   #54

Richard - I know what you mean about the safety aspect. I am indeed aiming for about 80, which may yet prove to be optimistic anyhoo, but i can assure you i always put safety first. Like any powerboater i'll happily give a race all i've got, but just because i can do 80 doesn't mean i will do 80, I'll be doing whatever the boat and i are capable of doing in the given conditions. I've got a little girl, I've got no interest in killing myself out there!

As for the handicap, they have to handicap the classes as a whole. The same way as a R21 with an xr2 on the back is in the same class as a 20ft with a 300 on the back. It wouldn't be fair for them to handicap me further just becuase i've got a blower, if they did, i simply wouldn't race. Depends what the rules are for the 'cruiser class' really i guess.
Having to do 3 laps extra as kev decided (the committee definately wasn't involved), i don't stand a chance of winning anything. On a 10 lap race, I'd have to do about a third more speed than the 2-4 litre class, so about 90-100mph. All i'm aiming to do is make my boat competitive.

I'm not having a rant, just get pretty hiked up about this kinda thing, don't take any of this personally or anything eh!

James

Old 03-09-2009, 09:24 PM   #55

wise words richard

however your below quote isnt quite factual. I cannot wait to lock horns with you V8 boys next year.

4 races later, now that Me, Frank, Kev, John Richardson (and Hugh when he gets his V6 rig sorted) have got our V6 200's going well, the races are going to be alot tighter than that first Havelet Race where we all turned up for our first race.

i assure you all the handycaps will be very fair as we want to keep the racing as tight as possible.

2010 is going to be a great years racing in Guernsey.

All the competitive banter on here is testiment to that! its going to be brilliant.

the one i am most looking forward to is 'The Round The Island Race' - that is going to be something else!!!!!!

Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by lain View Post

And at the moment I think 500hp in your boat will give you the edge over Jacques and keep you at a similar speed to me, which might help us get a separate fair handicap to all the dedicated race boats.

I get the feeling I know what you're going to do though
Old 03-09-2009, 09:36 PM   #56

Has anyone wondered how we're gonna handicap the round the island race?? Or for that matter, how we're gonna get it past the RYA considering basic rules say we have a max lap length of 3.5nm or something, along with a max/min overall length, or is there some other bit i missed?
I just hope it happens, it's gonna be amazing, never thought i'd get the chance to race around the island!

James

Old 03-09-2009, 09:43 PM   #57

Boat make: Argo 21
Engines: 2.5 EFI

I thought there was a minimum lap length only and it just has to be 3 miles offshore or less, i think they will be able to do it, how about a round sark race aswell?
scooby_hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:46 PM   #58

Not sure, that's what i'm hoping to find out... I know there is a limit on how far offshore we can go, but i'm really not that clued up on the rules and regs.
A round sark race would be cool, God I'd love to race the Gouliot passage!!

James

Old 03-09-2009, 10:02 PM   #59

Interests: Heavy Heavy Metal
Boat name: Slayer II, Slayer, Pen15
Boat make: Phantom 19G-R, Bernico F2 Extreme, Ring 15
Engines: Evinrude 115HO, Yam 90

How is the handicap system worked out? I'm currently saving and looking for a boat that I can use for leisure and to race, and I don't want to end up with something that will be heavily penalised... Would for instance a 21ft ring or phantom with a 250hp V6 be treated the same as Jacque's Batboat, or is 2l a cut off point?
Paul E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:09 PM   #60

Interests: burning fuel
Boat name: obsession
Boat make: extreme 24/ scarab 30
Engines: extreme=496HO scarab=twin 5.7L + gale banks twin turbo on trs
Cruising area: Guernsey, herm, sark etc.

Well I'm only going to race if the handicap isn't as badly skewed as last time and also only if it's announced before hand at race sign on, otherwise I can't be bothered to waste more money to be at a huge disadvantage. And as you know Jacques, things change so I'm not counting my chickens and I've got this nagging feeling it won't go in my favour.

And I'm not worried about you catching up, it's about time. It was feeling a bit lonely up front when I raced you. Didn't I pass you 3 times (4 if you count the start line where I was at the back of the pack waiting for your race boat to shoot off into the distance), and wasn't the course about 4 miles, forgive my maths but what lead does that add up to Jacques, for a boat with a cabin, back seat, cushioned interior and even a place for a loo?

Would love to see the round island race, but I can't remember the last time I was round there when it was nice so doubt how viable it is for smaller vessels, and I launch at Perelle all the time. Always looks nice, but always isn't, in fact it always seems horrid once I'm out there.

And just to confirm what I said to James earlier, 500hp will, without a doubt put you in front of all of this years contenders!

Quote:
wise words richard

however your below quote isnt quite factual. I cannot wait to lock horns with you V8 boys next year.

4 races later, now that Me, Frank, Kev, John Richardson (and Hugh when he gets his V6 rig sorted) have got our V6 200's going well, the races are going to be alot tighter than that first Havelet Race where we all turned up for our first race.

i assure you all the handycaps will be very fair as we want to keep the racing as tight as possible.

2010 is going to be a great years racing in Guernsey.

All the competitive banter on here is testiment to that! its going to be brilliant.

the one i am most looking forward to is 'The Round The Island Race' - that is going to be something else!!!!!!

Jacques

lain is offline   Reply With Quote