Boatmad.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-05-2007, 12:33 AM   #1
Registered User
 
The Force's Avatar
 
Country: UK
Location: North Hampshire
Occupation: Sales
Interests: Powerboat Racing
Boat name: Team Purple, Team Shark
Boat make: Sperstock 150, 300 race boats, Class 3s cat
Engines: Honda 150, 2.5 efi ROS*2
Cruising area: Solent

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North Hampshire
Posts: 125
Cool Air in the steering Hydraulics

Help!!!

Ive got a lot of movement in the ram on my steering - if I lean up agains the engine I can move it over 12 mm or so.

So - I assumed it was air - I have pupmed over 5 litres of dextronII through - held the ram in every which position possible and every combination of ram in / ram out you can think of, and followed all the advice on the threads here I could find.

It is a Seastar helm and a single hydrive Ram - I am now thinking the problem could be more than just air. There is a small amount of play in the helm which I assume is air being compressed in the system, but I cant get any out.

Any ideas?

At speed the engine is going side to side and bleeding off speed....
__________________

The Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 09:34 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Burty's Avatar
 
Country: UK
Location: Weston Super Mare
Occupation: Electrical Engineer

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Weston Super Mare
Posts: 6,351
Send a message via AIM to Burty
You will never get all the play out of that steering system, i haven't seen them with that type of ram but sea star now do a Alison styl rear cylinder with less play in it for that reason. Where is the 12mm measured? cus if at the prop thats very good
__________________

Burty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 11:31 AM   #3
Registered User
 
roofer's Avatar
 
Location: GOLDEN MILE
Boat name: LILY THE PINK AND TERMINATOR 11
Boat make: PHANTOM 21 AND 20
Engines: 2.5 EFI X 2

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: GOLDEN MILE
Posts: 2,465
Burty just curious, how do you control boat at high speed with play in steering ?
__________________
PLEASE DON'T STEAL...THE GOVERNMENT DON'T LIKE THE COMPETITION
roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 11:38 AM   #4
Registered User
 
The Force's Avatar
 
Country: UK
Location: North Hampshire
Occupation: Sales
Interests: Powerboat Racing
Boat name: Team Purple, Team Shark
Boat make: Sperstock 150, 300 race boats, Class 3s cat
Engines: Honda 150, 2.5 efi ROS*2
Cruising area: Solent

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North Hampshire
Posts: 125
Hiya,
The 12 mm is on the Ram - which equate to about 40mms each way on the prop.
I was out with my friend on sunday, he has a yamaha 115 on a rib with the centre Ram set up (seastar).
I tried pushing his engine and it was rock solid - like pushing a brick wall - the only difference with mine being I have the side mounted ram. (and a heavier engine) - Interestingly the ram returns to it orginal position after you push it - so Im assuming its air rather than seals - but totally baffled. Even tempted to buy a new helm or ram - but I dont know which one? to buy even.
The Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 11:43 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Burty's Avatar
 
Country: UK
Location: Weston Super Mare
Occupation: Electrical Engineer

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Weston Super Mare
Posts: 6,351
Send a message via AIM to Burty
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Force View Post
Hiya,
The 12 mm is on the Ram - which equate to about 40mms each way on the prop.
I was out with my friend on sunday, he has a yamaha 115 on a rib with the centre Ram set up (seastar).
I tried pushing his engine and it was rock solid - like pushing a brick wall - the only difference with mine being I have the side mounted ram. (and a heavier engine) - Interestingly the ram returns to it orginal position after you push it - so Im assuming its air rather than seals - but totally baffled. Even tempted to buy a new helm or ram - but I dont know which one? to buy even.

Thats loads, i was wondering if you had 12mm at prop.
Does a sea star ram work on an unbalanced system???
Burty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 11:44 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Burty's Avatar
 
Country: UK
Location: Weston Super Mare
Occupation: Electrical Engineer

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Weston Super Mare
Posts: 6,351
Send a message via AIM to Burty
Quote:
Originally Posted by roofer View Post
Burty just curious, how do you control boat at high speed with play in steering ?
You will never get all the play out of hydraulic steering but can get it down to a couple of mm i guess thats why alot of you guys run wire steering
Burty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 01:36 PM   #7
Traveling
 
Country: UK
Location: Alderholt
Occupation: Aerospace
Boat name: T/T D2S
Boat make: Midas 27' Cat, Argo 16 Cat. Avon Rib Thingy
Engines: Merc 280-ROS -JSRE,65Xs, 75 Stinger, Yam 60
Cruising area: Any Seedy Bar

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Alderholt
Posts: 4,223
See if your mate is up to swapping the ram over. If you keep the slop then it\\\'s the helm with a possible LRU if available. If he gets it, then the ram, least you wont make a couple of hundred squigglies mistake, you can do it dry without even getting the boats wet, but a good bleed of each first.
(Sorry LRU- Line replaceable unit- spare parts)
__________________
It is impossible to lick your elbow.

Team25Racing.com

At least 75% of people who read this will try to lick their elbow!
BluFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 01:47 PM   #8
Registered User
 
The Force's Avatar
 
Country: UK
Location: North Hampshire
Occupation: Sales
Interests: Powerboat Racing
Boat name: Team Purple, Team Shark
Boat make: Sperstock 150, 300 race boats, Class 3s cat
Engines: Honda 150, 2.5 efi ROS*2
Cruising area: Solent

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North Hampshire
Posts: 125
Unhappy Think its - unbalanced -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burty View Post
Thats loads, i was wondering if you had 12mm at prop.
Does a sea star ram work on an unbalanced system???
The helm is seastar, the ram is Hydrive - apparently this combination recommended by Marc Pascoe to the previous owner of the boat.

Only a presumption, but i presume the seastar helm is unbalanced as the ram takes more turns in one direction than the other according to the seastar manual....

Unfortunatly I cannot swap with my mates ram, he is away and Im going racing this weekend - leaving Thursday. Its going to be a pit of a follow everybody around from behind if I dont get this sorted.
The Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 01:53 PM   #9
hello
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Force View Post
There is a small amount of play in the helm which I assume is air being compressed in the system, but I cant get any out.
Thats normal, you get a small amount of wheel movement before the valves open. You may even be able to hear the clicking as they open when you initialy turn the wheel.

Also for the record 12mm of play at the prop is alot.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 01:59 PM   #10
hello
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,739
Its the ram setup that determines if its a balanced or un-blanaced system, not the helm. The helm will either be compatible with an unbalanced system or it won't. As far as I'm aware the 1000PSI Seastar helms are compatible with both but the 1500PSI Seastar Pro helms are only compatible with balanced setups.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 11:18 PM   #11
CB1
Registered User
 
CB1's Avatar
 
Location: poole dorset

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: poole dorset
Posts: 868
Thats bollox Burty. There should be no play what so ever in a decent hydraulic set up. Most play is caused by worn bushes rather then the ram.We have an italian set up and the trailer moves before the steering.
CB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:02 AM   #12
Registered User
 
Burty's Avatar
 
Country: UK
Location: Weston Super Mare
Occupation: Electrical Engineer

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Weston Super Mare
Posts: 6,351
Send a message via AIM to Burty
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB1 View Post
Thats bollox Burty. There should be no play what so ever in a decent hydraulic set up. Most play is caused by worn bushes rather then the ram.We have an italian set up and the trailer moves before the steering.
I got no play in mine either. However you can turn the steering slightly before the engine starts to move but i believe this is due to the valves operating. I know you cant get all the play out of the sea star rams because of the design, thats why they went over to the alison style on the pro versions.
Burty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:29 AM   #13
Registered User
 
The Force's Avatar
 
Country: UK
Location: North Hampshire
Occupation: Sales
Interests: Powerboat Racing
Boat name: Team Purple, Team Shark
Boat make: Sperstock 150, 300 race boats, Class 3s cat
Engines: Honda 150, 2.5 efi ROS*2
Cruising area: Solent

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North Hampshire
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burty View Post
I got no play in mine either. However you can turn the steering slightly before the engine starts to move but i believe this is due to the valves operating. I know you cant get all the play out of the sea star rams because of the design, thats why they went over to the alison style on the pro versions.
Seems like I have a problem - either bleeding incompetance (scuse the pun!) or something is not quite right - oh well - hand it over to the pro's at Torquay tomorrow and wait for mr big bill
The Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:32 AM   #14
numbskull
 
Jon Fuller's Avatar
 
Country: United Kingdom
Location: South
Occupation: none
Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: South
Posts: 15,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB1 View Post
Thats bollox .We have an italian set up

They're best in reverse gear aren't they?
__________________
.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 01:05 AM   #15
Registered User
 
RossM's Avatar
 
Boat make: Phantom 23

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,650
Send a message via MSN to RossM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burty View Post
I got no play in mine either. However you can turn the steering slightly before the engine starts to move but i believe this is due to the valves operating. I know you cant get all the play out of the sea star rams because of the design, thats why they went over to the alison style on the pro versions.
our (new) capliano helm has that play your talking about, not sure what it is, but it cant be air in the system because there is no play at all if you try to swing on the engine but you can turn the wheel abit, and theres no resistance, like there is when its pumping the oil.
is there any way to get rid of this?
RossM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:37 AM   #16
hello
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me View Post
Thats normal, you get a small amount of wheel movement before the valves open. You may even be able to hear the clicking as they open when you initialy turn the wheel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burty View Post
However you can turn the steering slightly before the engine starts to move but i believe this is due to the valves operating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesBalls View Post
our (new) capliano helm has that play your talking about, not sure what it is, but it cant be air in the system because there is no play at all if you try to swing on the engine but you can turn the wheel abit, and theres no resistance, like there is when its pumping the oil.
is there any way to get rid of this?
No its normal, you get a small amount of wheel movement before the valves open. You may even be able to hear the clicking as they open when you initialy turn the wheel.

P.S. ECHO..................
__________________

JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×