Boatmad.com

Old 05-01-2008, 08:52 PM   #1

Air Suspension Seats

Looking for Air Suspension Seats. Seen the Ullman but there expensive. Are there alternatives or has any one modified Lorry seats. Only need the bases.

hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:22 PM   #2
jw.

Interests: Hole maker
Boat make: Humber Ocean Offshore
Engines: KAD 300/DPX

I use one of these and one of these in the rib, but fabric finish rather than the leather version. When I got mine, a few years ago, the bases were available separately for the mechanical suspension. The air ones also give adjustable shape seat cushion control and adjustable shape lumbar support. I reckon they are wonderful but folk who've never used them give me all sorts of reasons not to have them.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:35 PM   #3

Thanks, have looked at the web page and thought they looked good. Guess they are a modified lorry seat. What kind of corrosion protection is there.
Do you think they could work in a race boat.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:51 PM   #4
jw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunton69 View Post
Guess they are a modified lorry seat. What kind of corrosion protection is there.
Yes, I think that was their original market but the company I bought them from have fitted them to RNLI boats for a few years. They had a failure, I don't know how many units, but, apparently, if the boat lands very hard on it's side, it's possible for the suspension frame to bend sideways. This was on the spring type bases not the air spring.

The only protection for the metal is paint though the whole under seat unit is within a big, square gaiter.

In terms of suspension performance, the mechanical seat appears to be as good as the air one. The air one uses a pump so that you can set the shape and fimness of the various shaping pads within the seat. The pump also sets the firmness of the suspension. So the air one needs a power supply and I'd guess it wouldn't last long if it got submerged. Mine is in a cabin.

The mechanical one uses a big hand wheel, which is calibrated, to set the firmness of the suspension.

I use mine with a 4 point harness which I also rate highly. You don't get flung around and you don't have to hang onto the wheel to stay put. It allows you to get on with steering and throttling. The harness is attached to the seat so the tension stays ok.

Quote:
I don't see why not but I dunno so I'm not going to commit myself by saying yes.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:05 PM   #5

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

I used to be a KAB dealer up until a few years ago when I sold the business. Still have contacts there. Will give them a call to see how much I can get those seats for you!
ML.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 06:52 AM   #6

Boat make: Mitchell RecJet 48
Engines: Chevrolet LS364
Cruising area: rivers

We have attached the spring type to a few boats, they work well. Again, the original use for these were farm impliments. We mounted them sideways to negate the side loading issue (in jets we can spend alot of time sliding sideways)
Old 07-01-2008, 09:44 AM   #7
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:

I would imagine the chances of failure in a race boat would be higher the smaller the boat - anything under 12 metres would be dodgy I think, especially given that in a race situation the sideways forces can be quite high in a stuffing situation. Personally I wouldn't bother, and the Ullman seats don't give any sideways support either, although I'm told there is a race version out soon?

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:15 AM   #8

[
Quote:
QUOTE=Cookee;123225]I would imagine the chances of failure in a race boat would be higher the smaller the boat - anything under 12 metres would be dodgy I think, especially given that in a race situation the sideways forces can be quite high in a stuffing situation. Personally I wouldn't bother, and the Ullman seats don't give any sideways support either, although I'm told there is a race version out soon?
[/QUOTE]

We all have bad backs as were all getting on. Were going to mount arm chairs on them. No corners on RB8 so should not be a problem.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:39 PM   #9
jw.

Quote:

We all have bad backs as were all getting on. Were going to mount arm chairs on them. No corners on RB8 so should not be a problem.
That's exactly the reason I chose the air seat. It has three inflatable pads in the lumbar region and they are inflated individually so the shape of curvature can be adjusted to suit your spine. It also has side pads in the cushion and a pad just behind your knees. Again, all adjustable. The seat squab also has tilt as in a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedboats
We mounted them sideways to negate the side loading issue...
That sounds a possible solution. I take the runners were still for & aft.

Edit: I forgot to mention; for marine use you have to stipulate double dampers rather that the normal singles because they get hot and fade a bit.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:01 AM   #10
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:

What boat are they going into? I would doubt the standard items would make it to the end in one piece to be honest - get a lot of rough weather testing before you start and some spares if you want to save yourselves a lot of grief!

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 02:11 PM   #11

Interests: lots
Boat make: scorpion 8.1
Engines: 250HO
Cruising area: solent

a kab dealer told me these seats are in no way suitable for outside salty envirmoents, only way they should be fitted to a boat was in a wheel house!! he was so confident he wouldnt even sell me one for fear of comeback
glen76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 03:53 PM   #12

Got hold of a base will attach our seat to it and compare the other two seats in the boat while testing. Must agree salt water will attack them, still only got to last a couple of months.
Old 23-01-2008, 10:43 PM   #13

hows about these?
http://fbdesign.it/seats.php

rama is offline   Reply With Quote