Old 24-02-2011, 03:17 PM   #1
ASH

Interests: ski racing
Boat name: fourplay 143
Boat make: cyclone 19
Engines: 150 H0
Cruising area: lyme bay

Question American Rv

dont know where to start i know this isnt about boats but enough of us got rv's to tow our boats.....
my work horse chassis georgie boy (2001) flew through its mot no problem as its less than a mile away. on the way home the breaks started to bind on... spoke to loads of people about this and tryed a few things like poping out the bakalite pistons on each caliper (2 on each) and rub them down with 1000 grit wet and dry and stick them back in... tryed doing front offside put it all back together and took it around the block and it still stuck on.... loads of people say lots of different things but mainly they want to bend me over pull my pants down and drive one right in......hard im not in to that option so would apprecate any ideas on the subject... or do i bite the bullet and buy 4 new calipers @ £145 a corner... i know its not loads but its alot if i have got it all wrong and theres something simple i can try......

143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 03:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 143 View Post
dont know where to start i know this isnt about boats but enough of us got rv's to tow our boats.....
my work horse chassis georgie boy (2001) flew through its mot no problem as its less than a mile away. on the way home the breaks started to bind on... spoke to loads of people about this and tryed a few things like poping out the bakalite pistons on each caliper (2 on each) and rub them down with 1000 grit wet and dry and stick them back in... tryed doing front offside put it all back together and took it around the block and it still stuck on.... loads of people say lots of different things but mainly they want to bend me over pull my pants down and drive one right in......hard im not in to that option so would apprecate any ideas on the subject... or do i bite the bullet and buy 4 new calipers @ £145 a corner... i know its not loads but its alot if i have got it all wrong and theres something simple i can try......
If you take one caliper off and disconect the hose can you push the pistons back by hand still, if so and the problem is on all four corner's then it may be a master cylindr problem.

PerformanceDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 03:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy21 View Post
If you take one caliper off and disconect the hose can you push the pistons back by hand still, if so and the problem is on all four corner's then it may be a master cylindr problem.
Another problem can be if someone has used the wrong fluid at some piont and it has swolen the rubber seals on the pistons, when you pop a piston out see if it slides in and out freely without the seal. Problem is not many seal kits are avalable nowerdays
PerformanceDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #4

Interests: PowerBoat Racing
Boat name: If Only
Boat make: Bernico F3 OCR, Bernico Prototype Inboard, and some Ribs
Engines: Yamaha Pro V 115
Cruising area: UK, France

If its on all calipers its probably the master cylinder or if not its probably a collapsed rubber hose !! Its unlikely to be all the calipers !! Try relesing the bleed nipples to see if that stops it binding !!
Old 24-02-2011, 05:29 PM   #5
ASH

Interests: ski racing
Boat name: fourplay 143
Boat make: cyclone 19
Engines: 150 H0
Cruising area: lyme bay

Thankyou

have tryed all that and defo looks like the pistons have swelled up. i have just ordered a piston repair kit. so going to try that now,cheapest option £30 a corner.... i have put dot4 break fluid in when i bled them through the other day...now im worried this i the wrong stuff, someone said i need dot3, Have i fcuked it up now??????
143 is offline   Reply With Quote