Boatmad.com

Old 29-03-2007, 02:57 PM   #1

Assistance Required.

Asisstance required with the following:

Marine Survey in Sweden

Collection of 30' boat with no trailer from Sweden and transport back to Southampton UK.

Any advice appreciated.

Jon Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2007, 03:20 PM   #2

I have just done the opposite WRT to the shipping.

Shipping is very easy, DFDS Tor Line run a 3 times a week service from Gothenburg to tilbury and will load unload the boat from the ferry at each end. Costs about a grand+vat for the basic shipping assuming the boat is on a trailer and is shipped unaccompanied.

If you need the boat craned on/off a low loader at each end it costs 300 kwid each time.
No additional import/export documentation is needed since it's in the EU.

Transport from Tilbury to Southampton - about 500 quid, I used Kevin Henderson, you could probably get a bit cheaper, but he is really good, conscientious guy, and I reckon paying a bit more to know the boat will arrive in good nick is worth it.

HTH
M

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2007, 03:34 PM   #3

Its the paperwork side that im unsure of. If i buy the boat and have it transported by low loader to Gothenberg, what documentation will customs require? Also once it arrives at Tilbury, what documents are required there with regards to duty or VAT? Transport back to the Southcoast is simple enough to arrange.

Still need a Survey done as i probably wont be able to view it myself.
Old 29-03-2007, 03:38 PM   #4

None. It's in the EU so it doesn't pass through customs and therefore doesn't get hit with duty or VAT. I was surprised too - but the guys at DFDS assured me that was the case and they were absolutely correct.
All it gets is a shipping number for identification purposes at the port and to authorise collection at this end.
Old 29-03-2007, 03:45 PM   #5

Blimey,

Im amazed, its like something for nothing!!!

So your shipping agent saw it through then?
Old 29-03-2007, 04:08 PM   #6

Shipping agent? I wouldn't waste the money.

I arranged the shipping directly with the ferry co and the UK transporter, the vendor arranged the pickup at the other end. I'd only use an agent if it needed to go through customs.
For EU shipping it's dead simple
Old 29-03-2007, 04:21 PM   #7

So, would it be possible to drive a vehicle with an empty trailer across on the ferry to Sweden, load the boat and then return across on the ferry and back down south?
Old 29-03-2007, 04:40 PM   #8

Interests: Spreading the good word about boats with toobs

It may be in 'free circulation' within the EU but that assumes that VAT has been paid somewhere. (Presumably Sweden). You may need to prove this to prevent HMCE hitting you with a bill for 17.5%. Easiest way of doing this would be with original sales invoice. If this is not available then I'm not quite sure how you would do this. Might be worth asking the question on the www.ybw.com forums (motor boat and yachting etc.).
Atlantic Xpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2007, 04:47 PM   #9

I'm not sure about an unaccompanied vehicle, accompanied vehicles are OK but they have limited no. cabins. Best give em a call on +44 1375 858 772/3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnip1 View Post
So, would it be possible to drive a vehicle with an empty trailer across on the ferry to Sweden, load the boat and then return across on the ferry and back down south?
Old 29-03-2007, 05:54 PM   #10

Interests: Powerboat racing, travel, curries, zimmers
Boat name: "N" Class fabrication
Boat make: B23
Engines: 200XS
Cruising area: Torbay & Falmouth

Quote:
We used DFDS from Tilbury last year when we did the Worlds in Sweden. Drove onto the ferry with the boat on the trailer and straight off at the other end. Coming back was also very simple. Matt is right about DFDS, they are extremely helpful, the ferry has a limited number of cabins but they are clean and the food is excellent and all included in the price. We would certainly travel that way again although some might not like the idea owing to lack of normal car ferry facilities.
"Old beardy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2007, 06:08 PM   #11

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 29-03-2007, 10:02 PM   #12

Boat name: rinng peas

Quote:
So, would it be possible to drive a vehicle with an empty trailer across on the ferry to Sweden, load the boat and then return across on the ferry
yus butt yoov gott too pritend too bee a sweedish nobbur bringin yorr bote to ingland forr a ollidaiy.

jus dryve threw custems showtin morshky bishky barden an throe chikkens inn de ayr.

gaRf

The gArfish is offline   Reply With Quote