Old 30-04-2018, 06:24 PM   #1

Interests: Boating/4x4s/Fast Cars
Boat name: Namotu
Boat make: Extreme 24
Engines: 383 Mag Stroker
Cruising area: Channel Isles

Botnia Re-Power

Hi All,

Been a little while since I've posted on here as I've been busy and boatless for the past 2-3 years....

Wondering if anyone could advise me on the following: I'd like to buy a Botnia Targa 27 with a Volvo KAD44 diesel, and switch the engine/drive for a new Mercuiser small block V8 petrol with bravo outdrive.

Big job?!

I'm struggling to find any useful information on the KAD44 (weight, dimensions) and don't have a Targa to hand to measure up for myself...

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, or if anyone has any data sheets on the Volvo engine for dimensions that'd be great.

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Old 01-05-2018, 09:41 AM   #2

Don't have specific measurements on a KAD44 but the Targa is a fairly large boat, sure you can fit a small block in there. Probably engine bed needs to be re done anyway. The Targa is a heavy boat, don't think it was ever supplied with a petrol engine from factory. The low end torgue of a 5.7 will not do the boat justice, twins or a big block would work much better i guess. In the bravo range, a bravo 3 works best on this type of boat. Second hand value might be worth consideration if converting one to petrol?

Good luck anyway.

C-NUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:01 PM   #3

In fact there was special edition made for twin outboards(believe 2*300):

https://www.targa.fi/news/targa-27-gt-winner-in-france
Old 01-05-2018, 09:28 PM   #4

Interests: Boating/4x4s/Fast Cars
Boat name: Namotu
Boat make: Extreme 24
Engines: 383 Mag Stroker
Cruising area: Channel Isles

Hi C-Numb,

Thanks for the response, I've been trawling the net for quite a while and cannot find any specs on a KAD44, the closest I can get is on newer motors but even then Volvo seem to give limited information - cannot find torque figures or weights?!

I understand the loss of low end torque would be a negative, but I'm wondering if weight savings and a mass increase in power would be enough to off set that?

This is how I envisage the build:

Either

6.2L LS3 Complete Engine Package - 425 hp - Michigan Motorz

or

383 Mag Stroker Complete Engine Package FUEL INJECTION

+ a bravo 3

Then a bit of dieting: remove toilet/shower, fridge, sink, gas cooker, anchor winch, excessive electronics - I only need 1 small hand held GPS that I can move between helms!

Remove the anti-foul and keep it on a floating dock.

Essentially I am looking for a boat thats sheltered enough that I can use in the colder months, quick enough to blast to France/Jersey on a summers day, and sounds the dogs dangles when you cruise past people.

In my head it works great, but I want extra information to further my thoughts on it.

I agree about re-sale value... I'm in 2 minds as it's a good way of getting a brand new engine into an older hull which traditionally holds its value well. Could make a great little boat or something that makes a lot of noise as it fails to plane!
Old 02-05-2018, 08:11 AM   #5

There was a Outboard version, believe 2 * 300hp

https://www.targa.fi/news/targa-27-gt-winner-in-france

Stroker's better low end torgue will help, maybe easier to compare/find specks to newer volvos 1 × D4-260 (191 KW, 260 HP) that gives 32 knots.
B3 /425hp and the right prop, sure it will plane
Old 02-05-2018, 09:49 PM   #6
bfm

My memory of the KAD44 specs are...6cyl, 3.6L, 260 crank & 248 propshaft hp & 570kg approx

Hth

bfm is offline   Reply With Quote