Boatmad.com

Old 04-04-2006, 10:26 PM   #1

Interests: Lots of stuff
Boat name: Rough Rider
Boat make: 21ft ring
Engines: Mercury 275hp

bow tanks ???

I am a little new to speedboats (not boats I might add) but just am curious to know how you know how big a bow tank you need. I have a 21ft ring with a Merc 250 (bumped up to a 275) and I have not put it in the water as yet. I am a little concerned that the frikin thing will sink ass first

Anyway I just wondered how you go about figuring out how large a tank you need. Another thing a person told me was that you can use sand bags, good idea??? anyway brill site !!!!

Old 04-04-2006, 10:53 PM   #2

Divertom, Unless you are going to race when the racing tunnel vision kicks in you wont need a bow tank.

Dont use sandbags, as when we were racing many years ago we couldnt understand why we saw one of our competitors going along at about 10mph with the bow sticking up in the air...............

What had happened is that their sandbags which were held in the front had bust during racing and shot to the back of the boat.

Think about the excess weight you are putting into the boat and all the pickups and dumps which will slow you down.

I was offered one for my phantom 21 (I run a 250) and turned it down.

Remember if you stuff, which willl happen there is more weight to drag you further down.

Good luck in your decision

Temporarily Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 11:03 PM   #3
Dan
On a roll

Interests: Bristol Rovers, Cider & Boats
Boat name: Aqua Thunder, Badboy
Boat make: Bernico F2, Phantom 21
Engines: Merc 280efi, Merc 260efi
Cruising area: Worldwide

Hi divertom,
Do you use the boat from Plymouth?? If so we`ll have to meet up sometime, I normally go from Mount Batten area if your about. I got a bow tanjk tabs etc etc so you free to have a nose about.
Cheer
Dan
Old 05-04-2006, 11:59 PM   #4

Hey cheers for the info guys, so no bow tank. I always worry though about the boat flipping as all the weight is at the back and no weight up front, especially with wind resistance at high speed, wont it flip? anyway Dan yeah cool will def be up for a meet and greet, should be good to see a 21ft phantom too, I have not seen one yet :P theres me showing my newbie speedboatness and dan mount batten is where I am going to launching my baby too. I work on the mount batten ferry too, so you might see me occasionally if you catch that too
Old 06-04-2006, 08:04 AM   #5
Dan
On a roll

Interests: Bristol Rovers, Cider & Boats
Boat name: Aqua Thunder, Badboy
Boat make: Bernico F2, Phantom 21
Engines: Merc 280efi, Merc 260efi
Cruising area: Worldwide

Quote:
Originally posted by divertom
Hey cheers for the info guys, so no bow tank. I always worry though about the boat flipping as all the weight is at the back and no weight up front, especially with wind resistance at high speed, wont it flip? anyway Dan yeah cool will def be up for a meet and greet, should be good to see a 21ft phantom too, I have not seen one yet :P theres me showing my newbie speedboatness and dan mount batten is where I am going to launching my baby too. I work on the mount batten ferry too, so you might see me occasionally if you catch that too
If you work on the ferry you will see me, I spend most of my time in the Mount Batten Bar/hotel where you drop off!
Old 06-04-2006, 02:29 PM   #6

Interests: Boat, Landy, and other toys :)
Boat name: Mad Max/Master Fiddler
Boat make: Phantom 18/Fletcher Bravo
Engines: Merc XR2
Cruising area: Solent/IOW

Quote:
Originally posted by divertom
Hey cheers for the info guys, so no bow tank. I always worry though about the boat flipping as all the weight is at the back and no weight up front, especially with wind resistance at high speed, wont it flip? anyway Dan yeah cool will def be up for a meet and greet, should be good to see a 21ft phantom too, I have not seen one yet :P theres me showing my newbie speedboatness
I can't see the boat flipping, you might see the sky a couple of times but it'll be fine...just keep it on top of the rough stuff.
There'll be loadsa P21's around if you're out in the summer...and here's a fine example of one
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00 045[1].jpg
Views:	256
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	8147  
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, grinning from ear to ear, overdosing on adrenaline and proclaiming “KINNEL!! WHAT A RIDE!!”
Maxim Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 04:13 PM   #7

thats cool as long as it won't flip. I have been told the boat in theory will be able to do about 80mph. Cripes I dont think I will be doing that thats for sure :P

P.S Dan I sometimes do the run on nights friday and sat. I dont drive the ferry all the time only part time. Anyway should meet up sometime
Old 06-04-2006, 04:19 PM   #8

Interests: Boat, Landy, and other toys :)
Boat name: Mad Max/Master Fiddler
Boat make: Phantom 18/Fletcher Bravo
Engines: Merc XR2
Cruising area: Solent/IOW

It'd be cool to hear how it goes....we went out in a Ring 21 just once before we sold it with a big Yam but can't remeber exactly what hp (yellow and grey ex ski race boat).
We got to about 60...takin it easy as it was up for sale. Went across a bit of chop and hit some big swell off cowes, the boat was pretty quick but the ride seemed a lot harder than a P21.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, grinning from ear to ear, overdosing on adrenaline and proclaiming “KINNEL!! WHAT A RIDE!!”
Maxim Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:06 AM   #9

yeah I look forward to taking her out, I doubt I will push her to the limit I just rather have too much power than too little :P