Cruising area: UK, France

Sorry ! I borrowed it from Bernico.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:46 AM   #22

Interests: boating, wakeboarding, snowboarding, fitness
Boat name: Outlaw
Boat make: Phantom 21ft
Engines: Yamaha 200hp
Cruising area: Zele / Kanaal Gent-Terneuzen

@ Mobil : yeah I know, Kris has the 4blade PRO ET one on his 250XS... I believe it would fit perfectly, but I'm too modest to ask for a test... maybe when I'm drunk at the Costa Zela bar And still, I'm not gonna buy a 1500€ prop. Don't want to loose Nico's time over this for the same reason.

@ Bob : you went for the 4 blade PRO ET. Is more stable than the 3 blade Lightning ET for sure. Seems to me it is usefull in the rough, but I wonder if the 3 blade would have been quicker ? It's my feeling for my own boat I would go for the 3 blade as I'm only on flat waters.

Did anyone had the chance compare the PRO ET and Lightning ET on his boat ?

Toffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 11:41 PM   #23

Cruising area: Stockholm

Et

I had a ET Lightning 26 on my P21, not one of my favorite props on my boat. No bowlift but she runs high with a long wet surface and that made her chinewalk quite bad above 60-63knots.

My favorite props have been the tempest+, but labbed by Mark Croxton and the Razor3 with shortend barrel, also labbed by Croxton.
How high do you have your engine?
I run mine 15-22mm above the pad.
Amund201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 10:32 AM   #24

Thanks for that reply! I've read your posts and saw your vids. It seems you did quite some testing and your P21 with 250XS is really flying ! Proptesting did make a lot of difference with you. I'm really surprised choppers and the 3 blade ET didn't work for you.

Seems to me your hull is very quick and light. Your engine is stronger and your engine height is waaayy up compared to mine.
I believe my hull is a bit heavier (still have to measure though), and my engine is a strong running Yam 200hp. I don't have a low water pick up but do have a mechanical engine lift. I experimented with engine heights and prop vent plugs, which both had enormous effect. I should remeasure but I'm now 8cm below pad and 36cm behind the transom, both at vertical trim.
I could remove the watertank in the bow. It's not connected and it could save some weight, and I don't go out in rough waters. The red fueltank looks same as yours but bit more to the front, immediately behind the back seat.
On facebook a friend of mine has a cool and long vid of my boat and it shows how it goes. Feel free to PM and add me and take a look.

Never heard of that Razor3 prop. But I've found it here at what seems to be marks place. http://www.marksprops.com/products.html
It seems Tempest plus like, which is the one I have in 25P.

Still going to test the 26P cleaver though
What I've learned here : I expect it to have a lot of prop vent at acceleration, a lot of wet surface due to the stern lift, drop in top speed, and handling... I'll see about that.

Now, first thing for me is : installing the foot throttle and trim handle that I've bought yesterday (at last, woohoo!!). I write down my findings here with the cleaver, but that could still take a few months as I only boat during summer.

Thanks and kind regards,
T.
Old 17-02-2013, 12:18 AM   #25

Cruising area: Stockholm

I'm surprised as well, especially as a lot of guys in here run their P21's with ET and Ballistic with great results. But on the other hand those are often rigged for ruff seas and that gives the prop other properties.
I haven't got around to weighing mine yet so I don't know if she's light but from what I understand no lightweights were built in -91?

If you don't plan on running in ruff seas I think you would profit in speed and handling if you removed the bowtank. It works for me but I don't think my boat would do well off the UK coast

Yes the Razor is Mark's creation, he is in my opinion very good at what he does and he does a lot of prop work for people here in Sweden as it's often cheaper to buy a new prop in the states and ship it directly to him and have him do some B&B rather than buy a new here.

Iv'e been recommended to try a Raker, both by people in here and here in Sweden, and I'm trying to find a good 26p to have it worked to fit a merc fatshaft.
Here is a video of a Norwegian guy running a 28p Raker (Thanks ELK)
http://youtu.be/Npz2RkulkIg

Looking forward to hearing how it goes with a cleaver, dont forget to film it
And I would really like to see the video you are talking about, no youtube clip?

Good luck
Amund201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #26

There seems to be a lot of bowlift in his Raker prop. But 115km/h is good but not even close to your speeds. I've had a Raker 24p on my Evinrude 140hp Ring 16ft an happy with how it performed. A good bowlift prop imho.

I have a small youtube vid of my boat. It was my first testrun back in 2010 119km/h is GPS measured but with some rivercurrent. It will do +110km/h without a doubt as I am quicker than my friends boat who does an accurate 107km/h.

I definately let you know how it goes with the cleaver, but as said it could take some time.
Greets, T.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:17 PM   #27

Hi all !

Last summer I tested and couldn't even get to plane. Afterwards it seemed that I needed to rebush.... the downside of buying props second hand. Looking forward to the summer though and test my cleaver.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cleaver 26P.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	41041  
Old 29-06-2014, 09:24 PM   #28

I tested my rebushed cleaver P26 last weekend.

it's my fastest prop out of the hole so far, but then struggling to get on plane.
once on plane, the midrange is fantastic (due to the pitch being a bit too low).
cornering is ultra short.
my dual cable steering feels very light.
topspeed 107km/h @ 6200rpm... and then a stopped giving it full throttle...

little bowlift, a lot of sternlift... I can see how this type of prop can work in the rough "keeping the nose down, and the hull horizontal"

I didn't expect anything from this prop, but now I'm in doubt selling this prop or not....
Old 02-07-2014, 08:29 PM   #29

Boat make: RING 21C
Engines: Mercury 2.4carb 200 (Mazco RE4, Chopper 24, Tempest 24)
Cruising area: The Netherlands, Gardalake (IT)

Sounds cool mate . So, if you use the cleaver... Than I need your Turbo haha (Marco van SBF.nl)
M.arco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:00 PM   #30

Hey Marco, didn't now you are user BigChief on here
The cleaver is surprisingly good, but the Turbo is even better : higher top-end, no getting on plane issues
Old 30-08-2014, 09:47 PM   #31

Boat name: fourty
Boat make: fletcher19gto
Engines: yamaha v6 150

Any idea what sort of prop i need by boats running 4000 rpm flat out and its slow getting out of the water its a 19p do you think i need a smaller pitch?
snatch81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:22 AM   #32

Interests: Boats, kids and looking after the Wife HaHa
Boat name: Shamu
Boat make: Banana Shark 770
Engines: Mercury XS300
Cruising area: Solent

I'm a huge fan of Bravo 1 props and I've recently discovered you can trim the exhaust tube to alter between stern and bow lift. Effectively you can fine tune to what your happy with.

I'm trimming 10mm off my Bravo 1 24 as a starting point later today, then dropping in 2mm stages until I'm happy with the results. This is under the advice of one of the prop guys at Mercury Racing, unfortunately there leading expert is off until 2nd week of September and he didn't want to make any recommendations as to a starting point on the Rev4's. He was happy to confirm it would work though.

Or if you want to start with a bit of extra bow lift there's the Rev4 props, they have 22/23 degrees of rake instead of the bravo 1's 20 degrees.

If you go down the Raker route, make sure you get a Raker and not a Raker 2!!!

Banana Shark Dave is offline   Reply With Quote