Boatmad.com

Old 14-10-2010, 01:42 AM   #1
Trade Member

Interests: ACCELERATION (anykind )

DANGER Will Robinson !

DANGER Will Robinson !

Just a heads up for all the do it yourselfers as well as Merc mechanics out there. I tore down 2 260s this week 1 stock and one modified (1 for inspection BEFORE it was ran and the other was because it had a bad hole) The one that was down for inspection only was bought as a Ruck Drag cut after inspection I found 10 wrong length SPS rod bolts and 2 correct length ( had Pro Max 41 series rods installed and the bolts were SPS from a 5250 which are too long for the 41 series rod thread boss) this causes the cap to be held on with 2 -3 threads instead of the complete thread length...So just a heads up when installing these bolts make SURE you are installing the correct bolt for the rod your using.

1. 41 series takes a Mercury 10-848475
2. 5250 takes a Mercury 10-91995

The 5250 is about 1/4" longer than the 41..

I'm reporting this to maybe same someone a motor..

Next "issue" the stocker that has a bad hole after I tore it down it was found to have had BOTH middle main bearing races assembled misaligned this resulted in the races pushing the alignment dowels deep in the block and damaging the crank. BOTH were done this way. These cap holes MUST be aligned with the block dowels if not the bearing cannot get oil and crank failure will then occur...Always remember the BIG HOLE of the three holes in the race MUST be installed towards the BOTTOM of the crank...

Not trying to tattle or dog the people that built these engines just trying to prevent another costly failure...

Good luck,
Jay
Jay Smith is offline   Reply With Quote