Boatmad.com

Old 29-09-2009, 09:10 PM   #1

Interests: Boats,bikes and rally cars
Boat make: Phantom 21
Engines: Merc 135hp/merc XR2
Cruising area: Balearics

Difference between P20 and P21 and set up?

Sorry chaps, im sure this has been brought up before but couldnt find it.

What is difference between the P21 and P20?? i have got one and i am restoring it at the moment, she has seen better days. I have a feeling it is an old OCR boat 'KARAKAL' (not sure if that is the right name?) poss Ian Striling?? in which case i think it is a 20? i might be wrong on that, just started looking into the history a little more, so far from memory as it has a big repair on the stbd quarter it rang a bell with as i seem to remember that boat having an issue with the stbd quarter??? as i said probally way off?!?!!?

Best set up for each boat?? i had an P18 and found it liked everything at the back and rear stbd quarter, it this the same for the P20 and P21??

thanks guys

mattboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 09:38 PM   #2

Interests: Powerboat racing, travel, curries, zimmers
Boat name: "N" Class fabrication
Boat make: B23
Engines: 200XS
Cruising area: Torbay & Falmouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattboy View Post
Sorry chaps, im sure this has been brought up before but couldnt find it.

What is difference between the P21 and P20?? i have got one and i am restoring it at the moment, she has seen better days. I have a feeling it is an old OCR boat 'KARAKAL' (not sure if that is the right name?) poss Ian Striling?? in which case i think it is a 20? i might be wrong on that, just started looking into the history a little more, so far from memory as it has a big repair on the stbd quarter it rang a bell with as i seem to remember that boat having an issue with the stbd quarter??? as i said probally way off?!?!!?

Best set up for each boat?? i had an P18 and found it liked everything at the back and rear stbd quarter, it this the same for the P20 and P21??

thanks guys
If it is my old P20 then it was built by Steve in 1995 with a standard GRP layup on the hull and an aromat deck. It was white deck with a black screen and the hull was black up to the chine and then white above but the black also swept up at 45 degrees each side at the stern.
The damage to the starboard rear quarter was sustained in an OCR race in Majorca in 1999 where we hit the wash off a gin palace that had kindly crossed the course on the start run. My navigator ended up having 11 stitches at the hospital to hold his cheek up and the Spanish police were going to jail me as I was the driver!
Karakal was one of my sponsors in the late 90`s but the graffics were all vinyl so there will be nothing on the boat to confirm this.
We ran it in OCR with a short shaft XR2 so the transom was cut down accordingly. We had no bow tank because I felt we did not need one. We just moved the fuel tank forward in a rough race. In the flat we found the balance was best with the rear of the fuel tank about 300mm forward of the transom. In really calm conditions we used to run a 24" Raker and for intermediate to rough ran a 23" Tempest. We ran Latham steering.
The P20 is a different boat to drive than a P18 or a P21, but once you got used to it and fully committed, it was a great boat to drive.
I sold it in 1999 to Andy Nelmes, who ran it in OCR for a season with a 140 Suzi on the back. He then sold it to Matt Webb (Stumpy on Boatmad).
Hope this helps, but if you need any more info then PM me.
Ian.

"Old beardy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:38 AM   #3

Boat name: Streets Ahead
Boat make: Phantom 600
Engines: Merc 2.0 SST Porting,2.5 200,2.5 Drag Smilin Jacks

Nice Story,
and a nice history of an old race boat what will be back after a restoration.
good luck
mattboy

the story helps me to ,to set up my p20
thank's ian
Germansaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:52 AM   #4

Interests: boats,cars
Boat name: Whoneedsaname
Boat make: Phantom 20
Engines: merc 2,4 200
Cruising area: freshwaterlakes

Helpfull for me aswell with my P20
drdollar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:19 PM   #5
hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Old beardy" View Post
the Spanish police were going to jail me as I was the driver!
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote