Boatmad.com

Old 13-08-2009, 02:58 PM   #1

Interests: POWER BOAT RACING
Boat name: BIG AIR
Boat make: PHANTOM 19
Engines: 200XS
Cruising area: BRISTOL CHANNEL

Engine Cooling Question

Listening on here to the various corrosion problems Valves rusting etc why do the majority of inboard engines use raw water cooling and also risk potential impeller failure’s, I know a sealed system can be used but seems to be quite a heavy solution still relying on a pump/impeller. I was wondering why a sealed Air cooled radiator system is not used I understand this could be difficult with a conventional boat but possible on a race boat with sufficient room for ducting in fact most modern cars have a full under tray with surprisingly little vents to let hot air out of the engine bay. During my Autograss days we had major issues with the radiators getting blocked with mud so used to mount them at all different angles usually adding additional radiators to increase the water volume and I was always surprised at the relative lack of air flow required to keep everything cool, a lot of grassers now use bike engines with revs in excess of 15,000 revs and use tiny radiators to keep them cool. I only ask this as using a sealed system would allow Alloy engines to be used with massive weight savings and long life expectancy(Corrosion wise) and also opening the door to other Automotive engines readily available on the second had market. My second question is why are the majority of exhaust manifolds water cooled is this just to save heat build up or quieten things down or another technical reason. I only ask these questions because I’m nosey and for no other reason.Nic

NIC SURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 03:48 PM   #2
Engine tester

Interests: Gin & Women
Boat name: motorvator
Boat make: Revenger San Marino / Sunseeker Camargue 46 / Phantom 18/19/600
Engines: 502 mercruiser / Detroit 550s / 115 ProXS / Anything Borrowed
Cruising area: Thames, Southend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIC SURRY View Post
Listening on here to the various corrosion problems Valves rusting etc why do the majority of inboard engines use raw water cooling and also risk potential impeller failure’s, I know a sealed system can be used but seems to be quite a heavy solution still relying on a pump/impeller. I was wondering why a sealed Air cooled radiator system is not used I understand this could be difficult with a conventional boat but possible on a race boat with sufficient room for ducting in fact most modern cars have a full under tray with surprisingly little vents to let hot air out of the engine bay. During my Autograss days we had major issues with the radiators getting blocked with mud so used to mount them at all different angles usually adding additional radiators to increase the water volume and I was always surprised at the relative lack of air flow required to keep everything cool, a lot of grassers now use bike engines with revs in excess of 15,000 revs and use tiny radiators to keep them cool. I only ask this as using a sealed system would allow Alloy engines to be used with massive weight savings and long life expectancy(Corrosion wise) and also opening the door to other Automotive engines readily available on the second had market. My second question is why are the majority of exhaust manifolds water cooled is this just to save heat build up or quieten things down or another technical reason. I only ask these questions because I’m nosey and for no other reason.Nic
Valves rusting etc is not too much of a problem if you use the right stuff i.e. stainless steel valves and seats. And the problem arises from reversion of the cooling water as it exits the exhaust so it would be raw water in any case.

Air cooled radiators are out of the question on a boat mainly because we struggle anyway with getting enough air into an engine bay simply for combustion let alone use it for cooling.

Impellers are not as big a problem as some think, in fact they should be doing little to no work at all at speed which of course is where the heat is created if the inlets are designed correctly. Most overheating problems tend to be a blockage of some kind rather than the pump's capacity to stick water through.

Exhaust manifolds are cooled because they get too hot in a confined space like a boat and will at any rate take the water at some point for it to exit the boat, unless of course you fancy a red hot tell tale of water spouting out the back.

Closed cooling systems are fine but you are adding weight with a heat exchanger.

Aluminium heads can be used in a closed cooling system but the downside is that you are hanging a fair bit of weight in exhausts on a stud into ally and they tend to tear out as has just happened to my brothers PCM engine in an Air Nautique.

Finally, automotive engines. This has been done to death but the reasons automotive are no good is that the torque curves created are useless for marine purposes. We need high torque low down in the rev range to swing a big enough propellor and the torque to stay fairly flat so that the propellor does not over rev the engine. Automotive don't need this as they have gears. This is also why turbos don't achieve what we need.

That combined with the fact that your average bmw engine is not designed to stay at sustained high revs punching out top horsepower for 2 hours solid. How long do you think your M5 would last if it only ever saw a little idling and then everywhere between 4 and 6 thousand rpm in top gear?

Come to that how long do think your licence would last?

Old 14-08-2009, 09:58 AM   #3

Interests: POWER BOAT RACING
Boat name: BIG AIR
Boat make: PHANTOM 19
Engines: 200XS
Cruising area: BRISTOL CHANNEL

Thank you for the info

Autograss racing actually had the same requirement for torque as we pulled away and raced in the same gear so could not use full race cams etc,using clutch slip and wheel spin to get off the line.and Turbo's were never succesfull as the power delivery was to severe and too short a power band.most using V8's ran superchargers.The reason I asked this as I had access to a very cheap all alloy Mercedes AMG 495 BHP Supercharged V8 which produces masses of torque and built to rev and it got me thinking-would be a nice little project if you could keep salt water away from it,Cheers Nic
NIC SURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 12:06 PM   #4
Engine tester

Interests: Gin & Women
Boat name: motorvator
Boat make: Revenger San Marino / Sunseeker Camargue 46 / Phantom 18/19/600
Engines: 502 mercruiser / Detroit 550s / 115 ProXS / Anything Borrowed
Cruising area: Thames, Southend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIC SURRY View Post
Autograss racing actually had the same requirement for torque as we pulled away and raced in the same gear so could not use full race cams etc,using clutch slip and wheel spin to get off the line.and Turbo's were never succesfull as the power delivery was to severe and too short a power band.most using V8's ran superchargers.The reason I asked this as I had access to a very cheap all alloy Mercedes AMG 495 BHP Supercharged V8 which produces masses of torque and built to rev and it got me thinking-would be a nice little project if you could keep salt water away from it,Cheers Nic
Well that's a different story Nic.

Supercharged would solve the problem of low to mid rpm torque delivery

You'd have to get headers made but in truth the engine deserves a pucker exhaust system anyway. Do it as closed cooling header and raw water riser and you solve the problems.

You could probably hash a heat exchanger system from a 496 mercruiser or similar. There's nothing to say it has to be mounted on the engine, it could go on a bulkhead and be piped in.

Then you have the small issue of mating it to a drive and actually picking a drive but it can be done.

Lastly you have to find an old p16 that it's worth putting it all in. Go'orn Go'orn Go'orn do it

Oh and you might need a bow tank!