Boatmad.com

Old 07-05-2014, 08:19 PM   #1

Interests: Many and Varied!
Boat name: Starseed
Boat make: Colvic Suncruiser 35 Flybridge
Engines: 2x Thorneycroft 225 turbo diesel
Cruising area: South Coast

Exclamation Evinrude 115 Ficht

Hi, just a long shot... My 2002 Evinrude 115 Ficht was running a bit rough last weekend so I took the plugs out, de-coked them, checked the gaps and put them back in (indexed correctly). Started up, all well, revved with the hand throttle and when it went back to tickover, it stopped.

It wouldn't crank over or start again! A relay under the hood clicks when ign turned on, the lights on the dial go through their check sequence following the turn-on beep but then the "Chk Eng" light flashes continuously. The engine will turn over if I bridge the starter relay so it's not seized. It won't do any cranking using the key, nor will it fire up if I turn on ignition key and crank over by bridging the starter relay.

It's like there's no power getting to the engine (apart from the relay click and warning light sequence on switch on). I've visually checke all connector blocks under the hood, and the wiring on the ign switch. The switch produces voltage when turned on, and from the starter pin. The battery is fully charged and all fuses under the cover on the side of the block are intact.

Please anyone, anything obvious that I've not spotted?

Old 08-05-2014, 05:48 PM   #2

Interests: Boats , bikes!
Boat name: Renegade
Boat make: GPV-RENEGADE
Engines: 150 HO etec
Cruising area: Thames, south coast, anywhere!

[QUOTE=Gerbil112;246207]Hi, just a long shot... My 2002 Evinrude 115 Ficht was running a bit rough last weekend so I took the plugs out, de-coked them, checked the gaps and put them back in (indexed correctly). Started up, all well, revved with the hand throttle and when it went back to tickover, it stopped.

It wouldn't crank over or start again! A relay under the hood clicks when ign turned on, the lights on the dial go through their check sequence following the turn-on beep but then the "Chk Eng" light flashes continuously. The engine will turn over if I bridge the starter relay so it's not seized. It won't do any cranking using the key, nor will it fire up if I turn on ignition key and crank over by bridging the starter relay.

It's like there's no power getting to the engine (apart from the relay click and warning light sequence on switch on). I've visually checke all connector blocks under the hood, and the wiring on the ign switch. The switch produces voltage when turned on, and from the starter pin. The battery is fully charged and all fuses under the cover on the side of the block are intact.

Please anyone, anything obvious that I've

give me a call jezza or fb message

Old 09-05-2014, 06:36 PM   #3

Interests: Petrolhead
Boat name: Wayne Kerr
Boat make: Phantom xl
Engines: Mercury 2.5, 200(ish)
Cruising area: Essex, Hampshire, Mediterranean

Your the man, Dave.
Wayne Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:52 AM   #4

Boat name: B-52
Cruising area: The Solent

Ffi

Gerb , pm sent
gap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 09:50 AM   #5

Hi all, thanks for the advice. Seems I had diagnostic software on my old laptop and a connector lead, but I've never been able to get it to work. It is DOS based and my old laptop didn't have a full version of DOS installed (Windows ME).

Ordered new s/w and lead from Canada (not arrived yet) but persevered with the old one and eventually got it communicating with the EMM.

Threw up a Hard Code 57, safety shutdown. A Code 57 is set and the engine disabled as a safety feature should the engine "run away" and the computer "sees" high rpm with a closed throttle. This is exactly what happened when I revved it on the muffs without any load.

Thanks to Renegade for the pointer as to the cause. I cleared the Code with the software and it started straight away!
Old 07-12-2015, 07:05 PM   #6

Sorry to bring old news back up again but did this issue every get a resolution? Reason for this inquire is I have the same type of issue how ever my boat seam to have a 30 second delay before turning over
Kadaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadaday View Post
Sorry to bring old news back up again but did this issue every get a resolution? Reason for this inquire is I have the same type of issue how ever my boat seam to have a 30 second delay before turning over
Hi, my problem was that it wouldn't turn over at all, let alone fire! If you read the above, you'll see the solution. Problem was solved by getting the software and lead, then clearing the error codes from the ecu. This does not sound the same problem as yours but clearing the codes may fix it.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:56 PM   #8

Ok thank you maybe I'll try that then

Kadaday is offline   Reply With Quote