Boatmad.com

Go Back   Boatmad.com > Boat Mad | Tech > Technical Q&A
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 30-10-2010, 09:00 PM   #1

Evinrude Ficht 225 apparent false overtemp alarm

Thought I would take the rib out for a final blast today before lifting out for the winter.

Was out for about an hour with no problems but coming alongside the pontoon at low revs the over temperature alarm went off.

Had a problem a couple of times earlier in the season where the water flow through the EMM airlocked and needed bleeding, but this always turned on the "check engine" alarm and was cured by tightly cable tying the pipe to the top of the EMM water intake. Checked this out just in case but the flow through the EMM was fine.

Back to today's incident.

The tell tail was showing the usual strong flow and all looked ok.

I let the engine cool down just in case it was hot but the alarm still came on even with the engine cold.

Let the engine cool for 4 hours and the alarm cam on after 30 seconds of idle , before the engine should have been up to speed.

Put the computer on to the emm port but no faults were stored.

The alarm is now mostly permanently on with just the occasional flicker.

I have checked all the wiring to the water temperature switch and to the temperature sensor and I have jiggled the wiring loom between the engine and the display but this does not seem to match the occasional flicker of the red alarm light.

I will try and check the resistance of the sensor tomorrow but any previous experience or thoughts of this type of fault would be appreciated as I would like it fixed before I put the boat away for the winter.

Thanks in advance

Gareth

westerlystorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2010, 11:56 AM   #2

Interests: Boats , bikes!
Boat name: Renegade
Boat make: GPV-RENEGADE
Engines: 150 HO etec
Cruising area: Thames, south coast, anywhere!

Hello mate, I used to have a ficht motor, check the water flow throug the emm, I had a salt build up in the water way and had to blow it out with an air line. It was blocked solid and a lump of salt flew out like a bullet. I assume you do but try flush the engine after fury use. Failing that it could be a sensor gone or thermostat. Good luck