Boatmad.com

Old 18-11-2013, 08:09 AM   #21

Boat make: 21ft
Engines: Various
Cruising area: Solent / Kent / Cornwall

This is a whole lot of effort on an old engine... Hate to say it, but other than the experience, is it really worth it?

And WD40 (or whatever your using) is nothing like MOS2 grease. In the nicest possible way you have kind of ignored what Frenchbruno has said and he gave you some very good advice.

One method I use with very stuck flywheels/bearings/whatever is when my press isn't enough (15tons) I'll heat whatever it is up to about 100 deg then hit it with a hammer (not too hard) that extra bit of shock usually separates anything.
In your case use 'proper' fiction reducing grease (not some spray can nonsense) I typically use ARP bolt lube as I tend to have lots of that from the engines I build, then put the flywheel puller on, tighten it down to as much as you can then try tapping it with a hammer (reasonably not stupidly) the additional shock load may free remaining part from the crank...

beyondhelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #22

Boat name: Puffin
Boat make: Westerly 21
Engines: Lister Petter 6.6
Cruising area: Plymouth to Exmouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream Marine View Post
I said mech oil, it is an industrial penetrating oil (bit like wd40) to try and release the rust/corrosion. I always use grease on the insert of the puller.

no spare flywheel and so expensive for second hand one breaking it isn't an option.
this is what I said, so haven't ignored Frenchbruno, just already tried and didn't work.

Old 18-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #23

Interests: racing(middle east class 3 6l)
Boat name: still no worries
Boat make: phantom18
Engines: 2.5 efi
Cruising area: salcombe

Hi Nic
Just skim the heads (20 thou) and leave the rest alone it's not worth messing with, it's not all hp it's running a good prop and balancing the boat right
still no worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #24
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
Originally Posted by still no worries View Post
Hi Nic
Just skim the heads (20 thou) and leave the rest alone it's not worth messing with, it's not all hp it's running a good prop and balancing the boat right
AND reliability!

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 11:31 PM   #25

Boat make: BERNICO
Cruising area: ANYWHERE

When Iv Been Stuck In The Past With A Flywheel, Iv Put The Puller On And Tightened It Up As Much As Possible And Left It Overnight, Bath It In Grease Oil Ect Next Day Then Leave It Another Day, Put A Little Heat On It Not Alot Just Het It Warm So You Can Just Touch It, Then Tighten The Puller , Keep Doing This Over Days And You Will Find One Day You Will Go Back And I Will Be Of, Works For Me Evrytime, Goodluck, If Its Been Put On It Will Come Off,
cossie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:29 AM   #26
Trade Member

Interests: ACCELERATION (anykind )

Well guys I handle this issue all the time. First "when" you get it off you will observe that the male taper on the crank has spot welded and left some metal welded on the female taper of the flywheel. This happens when the top bearing is going away and the crank which is negativity charged touched the stator which is posititively charged causing the weld to happen. I have a flywheel puller that has a Timken bearing in between two "push" pucks you can see it on my web site www.jaysmithracing.com I will say I have using the same one for 5 years and I will assure you I have NEVER found a flywheel on any outboard this will / has not removed with the help of a 1/2 drive air impact. The trick is to allow the puck to STRIKE with some speed the top of the crank and this will break the fit and allow the flywheel to come off... Jay
Jay Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 12:10 AM   #27

Boat make: Hydrolift T20
Engines: Merc XR2

What I did, was to take a flywheel puller-the kind you screw in the threads on the centre part of the flywheel and has a centre bolt and disc witch you lay on top of the crank and turn the centre screw on(spacer to save the crank).
Then I took the smallest welding tip in my acetylene/oxygen welding kit and gently heated up the sentre of the flywheel.
Also this was done when the outer parts of the flywheel was disasembled-not to damage the other parts of the flywheel.
With tension on the flywheel-puller and this gentle heating, you suddenly hear a small "pop" and then the flywheel is loose.

HT20 is offline   Reply With Quote