Boatmad.com

Old 07-07-2009, 02:44 PM   #1

Interests: POWER BOAT RACING
Boat name: BIG AIR
Boat make: PHANTOM 19
Engines: 200XS
Cruising area: BRISTOL CHANNEL

Fuel Tank Location

Hi my Phantom 20 has no bow tank and I need to keep the bow down,i have looked at the mounts of the fuel tank it would quite easily slide forward in the boat by approx ten inches,would this be a good idea as at current it tends to fly very much bow up with half tank of fuel and am trying to get it to fly flat,currently the tank is positioned under the rear seat between the two uprights and could slide to where the rear passenger feet would normally be.The main mod I've done on the boat is to fit a 5" set back hydraulic lifter which has moved the engine weight further back and probably made the bow even lighter particlarily as I will be running with more fuel ie full tank.I know a bow tank is the answer but havn't got the time before Ilfracombe-my first race-PanicPanicPanic.Thoughts and advice appreciated as I have no experience of this.Nic

NIC SURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:14 PM   #2

Interests: PowerBoat Racing
Boat name: If Only
Boat make: Bernico F3 OCR, Bernico Prototype Inboard, and some Ribs
Engines: Yamaha Pro V 115
Cruising area: UK, France

Paul Nichols was quite competitive with this boat so suggest you set it up as it was, Maybe even take the lifter off. Or put a small sand bag up the front.

Bob

Old 07-07-2009, 04:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCRDA View Post
Paul Nichols was quite competitive with this boat so suggest you set it up as it was, Maybe even take the lifter off. Or put a small sand bag up the front.

Bob
Hi Bob,Good to hear it was competetive but thats probably with a good driver.I don't know the name Paul Nichols I bought it off Dave Boakes,was Paul the previous owner before Dave.I find the lifter quote usefull as I tend to use the boat for beginer Skiing and Racing(Alright following a load of proper racers) and crap slip-way recovery.As it looks quite an easy job to move the tank forward do you think this would help ?as I can move it back for when I have the rear seat in.From memory most of the OCR boats had the bag tank behind the driver/passemger seat?
Old 07-07-2009, 05:30 PM   #4
Engine tester

Interests: Gin & Women
Boat name: motorvator
Boat make: Revenger San Marino / Sunseeker Camargue 46 / Phantom 18/19/600
Engines: 502 mercruiser / Detroit 550s / 115 ProXS / Anything Borrowed
Cruising area: Thames, Southend

Nic, if you think about a fuel tank weighing say 50 kg empty and 150 / 200 kg full then the the place to put it is exactly on the centre of gravity so that trim does not alter as it empties.

If you don't get a noticeable trim difference at the moment between empty and full then leave it where it is and as Bob says just ballast the nose up with some sand bags to get her flying level.

Make sure you get the toughest bags possible and use at least three layers as I can vouch for the fact that getting it out of the bilges when it splits is a complete ballache
Old 07-07-2009, 05:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorvator View Post
Nic, if you think about a fuel tank weighing say 50 kg empty and 150 / 200 kg full then the the place to put it is exactly on the centre of gravity so that trim does not alter as it empties.

If you don't get a noticeable trim difference at the moment between empty and full then leave it where it is and as Bob says just ballast the nose up with some sand bags to get her flying level.

Make sure you get the toughest bags possible and use at least three layers as I can vouch for the fact that getting it out of the bilges when it splits is a complete ballache
Hi Thanks I never thought of it that way.I think I'll stick some bags up front.Nic
Old 07-07-2009, 07:59 PM   #6
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Thick inner tubes pretty much stay where you put them when filled with sand

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:27 PM   #7

Interests: Powerboat racing, travel, curries, zimmers
Boat name: "N" Class fabrication
Boat make: B23
Cruising area: Torbay & Falmouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCRDA View Post

Bob
I think you will find that Paul Nicholls had the P18 that was done in the same colour scheme. If memory serves me correctly there were three Boakes brothers, one had this black P20, one had another P20 I think called Mistress and the third had an early P21. The two P20`s raced nationally in OCR and the P21 did a couple of basics.
We ran a P20 in OCR for 7 years without a bow tank, we moved our fuel tank forward when it was rough and found that better than having a bow tank. Mick Archer never had a bow tank in his P20 and the Rendalls only had a very small tank up front. I personally cannot see the point in fitting a lifter, the boat will handle far better without it. Just my humble thoughts.
"Old beardy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 11:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Old beardy" View Post
I think you will find that Paul Nicholls had the P18 that was done in the same colour scheme. If memory serves me correctly there were three Boakes brothers, one had this black P20, one had another P20 I think called Mistress and the third had an early P21. The two P20`s raced nationally in OCR and the P21 did a couple of basics.
We ran a P20 in OCR for 7 years without a bow tank, we moved our fuel tank forward when it was rough and found that better than having a bow tank. Mick Archer never had a bow tank in his P20 and the Rendalls only had a very small tank up front. I personally cannot see the point in fitting a lifter, the boat will handle far better without it. Just my humble thoughts.
Thanks for info

I raced at Ilfracombe in the rough and the bow was skyward all the time even with 100kg of balast up front,I've now moved the fuel tank 12" forward I think this will counteract the 5" set back of the engine,previously without the ballast and the fuel tank at the back it needed hardly any trim to get right up on the pad ie engine vertical in fact at speed trimming right in was the only way to get the bow down,I've briefly tried it with the tank forward and it now needs more trim to get up on the pad but not excessive so can probably remove the ballast,it felt like the trim had more scope to adjust to varying conditions so should be better for coping with flat or rough conditions-fingers crossed.I'm hoping this works as we allways seem to land back end first on the widest/flatest part of the boat which gives a very hard landing and kills you back,
Cheers Nic
PS Torquay's bound to be flat now
Old 27-07-2009, 11:52 AM   #9
BananaShark Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIC SURRY View Post
Thanks for info

I raced at Ilfracombe in the rough and the bow was skyward all the time even with 100kg of balast up front,I've now moved the fuel tank 12" forward I think this will counteract the 5" set back of the engine,previously without the ballast and the fuel tank at the back it needed hardly any trim to get right up on the pad ie engine vertical in fact at speed trimming right in was the only way to get the bow down,I've briefly tried it with the tank forward and it now needs more trim to get up on the pad but not excessive so can probably remove the ballast,it felt like the trim had more scope to adjust to varying conditions so should be better for coping with flat or rough conditions-fingers crossed.I'm hoping this works as we allways seem to land back end first on the widest/flatest part of the boat which gives a very hard landing and kills you back,
Cheers Nic
PS Torquay's bound to be flat now
Don't forget moving the fuel tank forward will have more effect when full of fuel! Many Phantom owners have found that mounting the engine further back than the transom has given poor results, but it's worth trying all the options before binning the bracket!

Old 27-07-2009, 12:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
Don't forget moving the fuel tank forward will have more effect when full of fuel! Many Phantom owners have found that mounting the engine further back than the transom has given poor results, but it's worth trying all the options before binning the bracket!
Thanks the boat is predomanently used for leisure although I think I have the racing bug,the lifter is very usefull with the crap launch/Slip way facilities we have at Weston also it gives me a chance to learn what effect different heights do to the boat.If I do change to more of a race boat and join a championship I'd probaly ditch it as it weights a ton and using the Phantom 20 would need a smaller capacity eng for OCR or sell this rig and buy a current spec race boat,Cheers Nic
Old 27-07-2009, 01:22 PM   #11
BananaShark Member

Quote:
Thanks the boat is predomanently used for leisure although I think I have the racing bug,the lifter is very usefull with the crap launch/Slip way facilities we have at Weston also it gives me a chance to learn what effect different heights do to the boat.If I do change to more of a race boat and join a championship I'd probaly ditch it as it weights a ton and using the Phantom 20 would need a smaller capacity eng for OCR or sell this rig and buy a current spec race boat,Cheers Nic
I think a 20 would be a bit big and heavy for OCR with a 130 Yamaha? OK for basic races as it is though if you took the bracket off!

Old 27-07-2009, 03:46 PM   #12

Quote:
I think a 20 would be a bit big and heavy for OCR with a 130 Yamaha? OK for basic races as it is though if you took the bracket off!
Another reason for the lifter is the transom top has been cut down and I can't get the motor high enough without the lifter or a bracket,without lifter the point of gearbox is 2" below and I want to get it at least level with bottom
Old 27-07-2009, 03:50 PM   #13
BananaShark Member

Quote:
Another reason for the lifter is the transom top has been cut down and I can't get the motor high enough without the lifter or a bracket,without lifter the point of gearbox is 2" below and I want to get it at least level with bottom
Was it cut down for a 15" leg?

Old 27-07-2009, 05:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Was it cut down for a 15" leg?
It came with a 20' XR2 and I'm not sure if it ever had a 15",do I presume that the cut down would normally be for a 15" ?
Old 28-07-2009, 08:47 AM   #15
BananaShark Member

Quote:
It came with a 20' XR2 and I'm not sure if it ever had a 15",do I presume that the cut down would normally be for a 15" ?
Depends how much it was cut down