Boatmad.com

Old 11-09-2013, 05:19 PM   #1

Hello and Yanmar 8LV Question :-)

Hello Boatmad!

In the time honoured fashion of newbies everywhere, I come bearing questions:

I have placed an order for a Yanmar 8LV/ZT-370 for a heavy 9.5m "cruising" RIB (yeah I know I know, a RIB ). And so with the questions - has anyone here fitted one yet? If so, I'd very much appreciate any pointers. I have already been told to get the waste oil removal pump fitted, so that's one. I guess I'm interested in the possible pitfalls, the instruments that come as standard, the ease of linking in the CANBUS to NMEA2000 plotters - anything really.

So that's it, post #1 done. Nice forum by the way.

Far Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Far Star View Post
Hello Boatmad!

In the time honoured fashion of newbies everywhere, I come bearing questions:

I have placed an order for a Yanmar 8LV/ZT-370 for a heavy 9.5m "cruising" RIB (yeah I know I know, a RIB ). And so with the questions - has anyone here fitted one yet? If so, I'd very much appreciate any pointers. I have already been told to get the waste oil removal pump fitted, so that's one. I guess I'm interested in the possible pitfalls, the instruments that come as standard, the ease of linking in the CANBUS to NMEA2000 plotters - anything really.

So that's it, post #1 done. Nice forum by the way.
We run a pair of the 6BY engines - if they run the same canbus then connecting them to NMEA2000 is easy. We replaced the engine mounts for heavier versions but ours is a race application.

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #3

Hi

Thanks for that Cookee. It is a relief to know that the linkup is painfree, I've heard sooo many stories about simple connections that weren't. I see from your website that you are going to offer the 8LV with the Sterling, so I guess you must be relatively happy with the idea. Cheers me up a bit. As regards the mounts, I certainly won't be racing! Top end is expected to come in around 40kts and I'm trying to keep the build weights down as much as possible.

Have you any pics of your raymarine gear displaying the engine data? I have to decide where to place my analog gauges and how the data displays on the plotter may influence that a bit. I understand that the Yanmar panel is not a thing of beauty, so decisions there too - lol
Old 16-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #4

Cruising area: solent

Send a message via MSN to Tris
Remove all the gauges from the yanmar panel and fit into your dashboard/console
Old 16-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris View Post
The panel that I'm thinking of is digital. It looks a little like a calculator!? The engine comes with some sort of emergency throttle too. I think the pair of small panels in the pic are the Yanmar panel. I'm told that it is keyless start - just an ignition button However, I can't get much info. I guess opening the crate will answer my questions come the time.

Old 16-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
BananaShark Member

Tris - The Yanmar panel is a digital one as well - see photo.

Far Star - I have set up 5 different screens on the Raymarine system (we have a pair of E140W displays and two ST70+ displays) to display engine data, the photos should give you an idea of what they can display, they can also display load in percentage terms.

The latest Raymarine units also display fuel data like the Garmin displays which is a good leap forwards - in the Garmin I put in the amount of fuel added to the tanks and via the NMEA system the engine tells the display how much fuel it is using and deducts that off the total - no more level sensors!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3135.JPG
Views:	364
Size:	262.9 KB
ID:	39863   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3136.JPG
Views:	319
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	39864   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3137.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	39865   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3139.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	39866   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3140.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	39867  

Old 16-09-2013, 08:32 PM   #7

Thanks Cookee - that's what I was looking for. Interesting about the fuel usage - I wasn't expecting that on a diesel. How does the engine monitor/measure fuel usage?
Old 17-09-2013, 11:03 AM   #8
BananaShark Member

Quote:
Thanks Cookee - that's what I was looking for. Interesting about the fuel usage - I wasn't expecting that on a diesel. How does the engine monitor/measure fuel usage?
It's via the engine computers, they measure the volume if each pulse of the injectors - very accurate indeed! You'll probably have a later version of my Yanmar instruments, we replaced the kill cords with a stop button as per the racing regs (partial canopy with harnesses so you can't fall out!). The latest Raymarine stuff is amazing and will even control music on the main screen from an Iphone.

Old 17-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #9

That's very impressive. I don't have much faith in fuel gauges so had specced a "dippable" tank and a basic WEMA gauge to point to when crew ask "Have we enough fuel?"

The data from the engine completes the picture nicely, so fingers crossed.

I haven't made a decision about electronics yet. The budget has gone into GRP and block, so maybe a Lowrance touchscreen? Electronics are a nightmare, nothing but horror stories and rumours, especially on open boats. A lot of boats on the recent Round Ireland Fool Montgomey Swanabout had electronics issues (weather was pish). I suppose the rain, spray and banging take their toll, possibly some last minute installs too - lol
Old 17-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #10
BananaShark Member

With Raymarine you can switch the touch-screen off and just go with the buttons if it's wet.

Old 20-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #11

Cruising area: solent

Send a message via MSN to Tris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris View Post

Quote:
The panel that I'm thinking of is digital. It looks a little like a calculator!? The engine comes with some sort of emergency throttle too. I think the pair of small panels in the pic are the Yanmar panel. I'm told that it is keyless start - just an ignition button However, I can't get much info. I guess opening the crate will answer my questions come the time.

Yeh.. don't take that apart lol
Old 30-01-2014, 09:07 PM   #12

Quote:
I guess opening the crate will answer my questions come the time.
Any day now...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	steering small.jpg
Views:	1202
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	40986  
Old 04-05-2014, 07:37 PM   #13

The boat is now afloat and I have some information and a few questions.

What gauges come in the box? Very little from now on! I was lucky to get fairly much the last batch of analogue gauges from Barrus alongside the standard digital Yanmar panel. TBH, the panel is OK and has a colour display, but I'm from the analogue generation

Q1. Does anyone have any idea where I might get a half decent manual for the control panel? The Yanmar offering might as well be in Japanese!

Q2. More a Boatmad one this. The max allowed RPM for this engine is 3800. We currently have 26" Bravo IIIs on her and are hitting 41kts at 3950rpm and climbing when I backed off (flat stick but probably still picking up speed/revs a touch). The hole shot is still OK and I'm wondering about the pros and cons of going up to 28" pitch. Other than getting the max revs where Yanmar want them, what other factors should I be considering? Apologies in advance - I'm not much on motors or props. Should say that the boat was probably about 1/2 a ton shy of a full load but probably fairly typical of an average load, if that makes sense - eg 100% fuel and 50% PAX. Boat and fuel must be around the 3 ton mark.

Any info appreciated - thanks.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:59 AM   #14
BananaShark Member

Any of the compatible displays from Garmin, Raymarine etc are capable of showing engine data in numerical or analogue format on the screens, I know it's not a real analogue gauge but it's the next best thing. The black and white gauges I got with the 260's were not configurable so what you see is what you get with the Yanmar stuff.

For the propellor quastion I would look here: http://www.rbbi.com/folders/prop/propcalc.htm and play around with the prop sizes until it looks like it is right. You don't say where you are but if you can borrow a set of props that might work it will help you out!

Old 05-05-2014, 10:09 AM   #15

Interests: Boats , bikes!
Boat name: Renegade
Boat make: GPV-RENEGADE
Engines: 150 HO etec
Cruising area: Thames, south coast, anywhere!

The 8LV looks lush! Would love to see some pics and footage once you are done. I saw that motor at barrus and it really looks the part.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
For the propellor quastion I would look here: http://www.rbbi.com/folders/prop/propcalc.htm and play around with the prop sizes until it looks like it is right. You don't say where you are but if you can borrow a set of props that might work it will help you out!
Thanks Cookee - I'll have a play with that calculator. I might be able to get my hands on a loaner set of 28" for a play. I realise that the increased pitch will slow the time to plane. I was wondering how it might effect things like fuel economy and strain on the engine etc. What are the other side effects other than increasing WOT speed, lowering WOT RPM and slowing the hole shot?
Old 05-05-2014, 12:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
The 8LV looks lush! Would love to see some pics and footage once you are done. I saw that motor at barrus and it really looks the part.
The 8-LV is sweet. It's quiet and pulls like a train. I don't notice any appreciable turbo lag and the useful torque range seems very wide. Compared to the Yanmar 6LP it's a pleasant surprise. The gear change is dangerously silent. It has just done it's first 10 hours of break-in so it will be interesting to see how it performs with a free hand on the stick. The current props are returning a cruising speed of 28/29kts at around 3000rpm so well pleased with that. It will be interesting to see how the economy works out.

I have no useful photos at the moment. TBH, it looks like a big engine shoehorned into a small dark space :-) The various bits you need daily access to are all very reachable.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:19 PM   #18

Interests: Boats , bikes!
Boat name: Renegade
Boat make: GPV-RENEGADE
Engines: 150 HO etec
Cruising area: Thames, south coast, anywhere!

Thats interesting on your views on lag. the 6lp has massive lag then boom all the power
Old 05-05-2014, 02:01 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
Thats interesting on your views on lag. the 6lp has massive lag then boom all the power
Brutal lag on the 6LP that I tried previously in a fairly similar boat (same hull, a bit lighter). It was all or nothing and a b@st@rd to get out of the hole - she just couldn't get spun up enough on demand. It made rough water handling very dodgy as she could drop power just when you wanted it!

No signs of anything like that on the 8-LV. It just keeps on giving.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:39 AM   #20
BananaShark Member

Quote:
Thanks Cookee - I'll have a play with that calculator. I might be able to get my hands on a loaner set of 28" for a play. I realise that the increased pitch will slow the time to plane. I was wondering how it might effect things like fuel economy and strain on the engine etc. What are the other side effects other than increasing WOT speed, lowering WOT RPM and slowing the hole shot?
It is always good practise to match the WOT to the props, it won't put undue strain on the engine and apart from hole shot it should improve everything as you'll be revving less for a given speed and you'll go faster. Ask Barrus for confirmation to be sure if you like - the only exception is if you are planning on loading the boat up excessively in the future and need the grunt to get on the plane.