Boatmad.com

Old 10-03-2013, 08:11 AM   #1

Honda 225 Continuous Beep after hard landing

Took the rib out yesterday after a winter cleanup and service. The Honda ran perfectly however when we came off a wave with a bit of a slam the beeper came on continuously so I quickly shut down then restarted it ran fine for the rest of the day even when taking a few waves head on.

I checked the oil level and it is about an inch below the top mark which I think is fine. I also checked under the hood for any loose plugs etc. and no problems...

The engine telltale is strong so I don't think the problem was an overheat.

Any suggestions?

Chris1573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1573 View Post
Took the rib out yesterday after a winter cleanup and service. The Honda ran perfectly however when we came off a wave with a bit of a slam the beeper came on continuously so I quickly shut down then restarted it ran fine for the rest of the day even when taking a few waves head on.

I checked the oil level and it is about an inch below the top mark which I think is fine. I also checked under the hood for any loose plugs etc. and no problems...

The engine telltale is strong so I don't think the problem was an overheat.

Any suggestions?
That was a big problem when we raced them. It could possibly be the knock sensor doing what it is supposed to do (protect the engine from excessive G forces), it was usually followed by the engine cutting out though. So it's most likely not enough oil.

There is also a ring terminal stuffed full of wires connected to the starter solenoid, give all the wires a good tug. Better still re-wire using two ring terminals.

The race 225's were fitted with a diode wired in line with the knock sensor to stop it happening, and the sump was fitted with a baffle plate to reduce oil surge. I don't suggest for one second that you go down that route, but always make sure the oil is up to the top mark.

Just for the record I'm not an expert so if it concerns you seek advise from Cougar or MB Marine.

Paul C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #3

Hi its the Knock sensor it will be reset when you restart though it will be recorded on the ECU until its cleared(but won't affect running), If it continues something may have come loose but is unlikely. Just get a Dr H check when you have your service to clear the fault record.

John
JohnD73 is offline   Reply With Quote