Boatmad.com

Old 25-06-2009, 03:35 PM   #1

Boat name: Un-named as yet
Boat make: Phantom 21
Engines: yam 225
Cruising area: Thames estuary Black water/crouch

Mariner 200hp set up

Well, took the boat out (R20) for the first time and was reasonably happy with the performance although thought i would get a bit more out of her. Assuming the gauges are reading correct i managed about 50mph at 6000+ rpm with it trimmed out slightly it felt a lot faster than that though, although it pulled like a train when opened up from a standing start. I know i should be getting more than that so im assuming its the set up.

Engine height too low? At the moment its bolted as low down the transom as it can be, I can see its been bolted at different heights previously. As it is now the centre of the bullet is lower than the bottom of the V. I think this is too low?

Wrong prop? It has a 5 blade prop of unknown pitch. I know the 5 blade will slow the boat down so am thinking of changing to a 3 blade which should give me a bit more speed?

Would raising the engine make much of a difference? Or should i just go for the prop change first? If so, what would be your recomendations on the best prop size and pitch for the rev range of these engines, im looking for speed?

I know the larger the prop the acceleration will be compromised for a higher top end? (correct me if im wrong) I've seen a couple of props for sale but am unsure of the fitting without taking the prop off, i think they are 15 spline shafts on these?

Thanks

Carl_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 04:17 PM   #2

Interests: POWER BOAT RACING
Boat name: BIG AIR
Boat make: PHANTOM 19
Engines: 200XS
Cruising area: BRISTOL CHANNEL

Boat Speed

I'm playing about with props at present and the best I've seen has been 63 mph with a 23p Lazer two at 7,000 rpm,this is with the engine quite low,It gets a bit rolly polly with the engine up high and I'm playing safe at present(No Balls)aparently it should reach 70 MPH top end,I tried a 23P High Five last night and it felt quicker reached 63 mph but my rev counter failed so could not realy tell the revs and didn't want to over rev it but seemed like more to come,Hope this helps-Nic
PS seemed to have to trim more with this prop so its keeping the front down or raising the back-I'm not sure,

NIC SURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 04:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIC SURRY View Post
I'm playing about with props at present and the best I've seen has been 63 mph with a 23p Lazer two at 7,000 rpm,this is with the engine quite low,It gets a bit rolly polly with the engine up high and I'm playing safe at present(No Balls)aparently it should reach 70 MPH top end,I tried a 23P High Five last night and it felt quicker reached 63 mph but my rev counter failed so could not realy tell the revs and didn't want to over rev it but seemed like more to come,Hope this helps-Nic
PS seemed to have to trim more with this prop so its keeping the front down or raising the back-I'm not sure,
ime running a 23p high five on my 21 marshan at the moment and getting high 50's with 2 and a full stack of fuel..got the xr2 right up so i have to be carefull with the rpm but its loads better than the 23 lazer i had.At the moment ime hunting a chopper down or maybe a larger diameter...
baj666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 05:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by baj666 View Post
ime running a 23p high five on my 21 marshan at the moment and getting high 50's with 2 and a full stack of fuel..got the xr2 right up so i have to be carefull with the rpm but its loads better than the 23 lazer i had.At the moment ime hunting a chopper down or maybe a larger diameter...
I'm not a fan of the Lazer,I'm not sure over the number of blades argument as the P1 boats all seem to use four or five blades but I'm sure there's more Knowledgable people on this subject.The high-five gives great hole shot and appears good top speed.Nic
Old 25-06-2009, 05:44 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Burty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl_B View Post
Well, took the boat out (R20) for the first time and was reasonably happy with the performance although thought i would get a bit more out of her. Assuming the gauges are reading correct i managed about 50mph at 6000+ rpm with it trimmed out slightly it felt a lot faster than that though, although it pulled like a train when opened up from a standing start. I know i should be getting more than that so im assuming its the set up.

Engine height too low? At the moment its bolted as low down the transom as it can be, I can see its been bolted at different heights previously. As it is now the centre of the bullet is lower than the bottom of the V. I think this is too low?

Wrong prop? It has a 5 blade prop of unknown pitch. I know the 5 blade will slow the boat down so am thinking of changing to a 3 blade which should give me a bit more speed?

Would raising the engine make much of a difference? Or should i just go for the prop change first? If so, what would be your recomendations on the best prop size and pitch for the rev range of these engines, im looking for speed?

I know the larger the prop the acceleration will be compromised for a higher top end? (correct me if im wrong) I've seen a couple of props for sale but am unsure of the fitting without taking the prop off, i think they are 15 spline shafts on these?

Thanks
different props need to run at different engine heights, some are surface piercing like ET's, choppers etc and others run below the surface like lazers and hi 5's need to know your gearbox ratio before any advice on pitch can be given
Burty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 08:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIC SURRY View Post
From what i understand is the high five is great for pulling skiers up and getting the boat on the plane quicker, gives excellent accelaration but at the price of a lower top end? My boat grips well and is fast as fook accelarating but lacking the top end low 50's flat out.

What engine are you running to achieve 63mph?

Maybe a bow tank full of water didnt help my top end speed much either, forgot to mention that minor detail?

Im now beginning to think my boat has been set up for skiing rather than top end, hence the low engine and 5 blade prop. I will have to get another prop and play around with the props at different engine heights.
Old 25-06-2009, 08:59 PM   #7

Quote:
From what i understand is the high five is great for pulling skiers up and getting the boat on the plane quicker, gives excellent accelaration but at the price of a lower top end? My boat grips well and is fast as fook accelarating but lacking the top end low 50's flat out.

Maybe a bow tank full of water didnt help my top end speed much either, forgot to mention that minor detail?

Im now beginning to think my boat has been set up for skiing rather than top end, hence the low engine and 5 blade prop. I will have to get another prop and play around with the props at different engine heights.
hi five is great for getting out the hole but ive found on my rig the higher the motor the rpm.s can get a bit out of hand...if you like high speed then its a little bit spooly but for sking and mucking about there spot on..I can on my motor get it right up with the offshore case but if you dont have the sportsmaster keep an eye on the water pressure if you lift it up
baj666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 09:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burty View Post
different props need to run at different engine heights, some are surface piercing like ET's, choppers etc and others run below the surface like lazers and hi 5's need to know your gearbox ratio before any advice on pitch can be given
I believe the gearbox ratio is 1.87:1 and with a rpm range of 5300-5800.

I think this is why the engine is set low because of the 5 on it. I dont want to use the boat just for skiing but would like to get a bit more speed out of it. Or be able to swop the props over for different uses, if that makes sence?
Old 25-06-2009, 09:10 PM   #9

surely you can rev it higher than that??
i'd try around a 23" prop maybe a lazer or a trophy and run the bullet between 2 and 3" below the bottom, dump all the water out the tank and get that bow out the water.
Old 25-06-2009, 09:17 PM   #10

Boat name: LILY THE PINK AND TERMINATOR 11
Boat make: PHANTOM 21 AND 20
Engines: 2.5 EFI X 2

Quote:
I believe the gearbox ratio is 1.87:1 and with a rpm range of 5300-5800.

I think this is why the engine is set low because of the 5 on it. I dont want to use the boat just for skiing but would like to get a bit more speed out of it. Or be able to swop the props over for different uses, if that makes sence?
Jack the engine up and fit a low water pickup. Junk the 40 amp electrics and fit 16 amp then rev it to 7500.
Old 25-06-2009, 09:22 PM   #11

you'll need to premix too unless you already are
Old 25-06-2009, 11:28 PM   #12

Interests: Boats , bikes!
Boat name: Renegade
Boat make: GPV-RENEGADE
Engines: 150 HO etec
Cruising area: Thames, south coast, anywhere!

Hows about fitting a lifter? then get a 3 and 4 blade prop and you can do what you like? thats what i have done, i know of a 2nd hand lifter if you want one.I know its more money but you have the best of all worlds.
Paul
Old 26-06-2009, 01:04 PM   #13

XR2 2.0 approx 200 hp,two people on board,no bow tank with gearbox point 2" below,appox 10 galls of fuel,Not sure if Phantom/Ring differences should make much of a difference with top speed,mine slows considerably if you don't trim it up,its like ploughing as apose to flying,but gets a bit twitchy which i'm slowly getting used to,
Old 26-06-2009, 01:52 PM   #14

Quote:
surely you can rev it higher than that??
i'd try around a 23" prop maybe a lazer or a trophy and run the bullet between 2 and 3" below the bottom, dump all the water out the tank and get that bow out the water.
The manual says the rev range for this engine is 5300-5800. But when i trimmed it out a bit and got into the low 50's the rev counter went off the scale which goes to 6000, but im not sure how accurate it is as it never sits at zero even with the engine off.

With no water in the tank the bow points skyward at low speed but that may of just been down to me not having trim set right.

You suggest a 23" pitch. I believe im right in saying the higher the pitch the smaller the diameter the prop needs to be?
Old 26-06-2009, 04:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
Hows about fitting a lifter? then get a 3 and 4 blade prop and you can do what you like? thats what i have done, i know of a 2nd hand lifter if you want one.I know its more money but you have the best of all worlds.
Paul
This idea i may be interested in. Is the jack plate hydraulic, and how much set back is the plate? And of course price
Old 26-06-2009, 04:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofer View Post
Jack the engine up and fit a low water pickup. Junk the 40 amp electrics and fit 16 amp then rev it to 7500.
If fitting a low water pickup, will the existing pick ups need blanking off due to air being sucked in if the engine is too high and causing an air lock?

This 40 amp - 16 amp conversion you speak of. Forgive my ignorence I didnt know this could be done, and what are the benefits to doing this and what is involved? Im interested.
Old 26-06-2009, 04:57 PM   #17

yes they will

change the stator and flywheel, 16amp flywheels are lighter and thus can spin faster
Old 26-06-2009, 05:17 PM   #18

Quote:
yes they will

change the stator and flywheel, 16amp flywheels are lighter and thus can spin faster
Ar thats not so bad if thats all thats involved
Old 26-06-2009, 06:12 PM   #19

Interests: Boats, boats and boats
Boat name: Patriot and Forca
Boat make: Phantom 21. Falcon Bonito 36
Engines: 200hp Mariner. 2 x GM 6.5 Twin Turbo Diesels
Cruising area: The Med

Hi Karl,

If you look up my various threads, you will see the trouble I had. Now I have a 25 Trophy and get 64 + out of a phantom 21, with a stock Mariner 200 (quite high). I am trying to get a mod box, to remove the rev limiter and a jack plate for the pleasures side of it. Hole shot isn't too bad but trimmed right in to get out.

Hope this helps a bit.

Pete
Peterjfinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2009, 09:50 AM   #20

Cruising area: tyne

Quote:
Ar thats not so bad if thats all thats involved
you need to change the regulators to a single 16 amp one . also ditch the ignition advance modules and set the timing to 25 at wot