Boatmad.com

Old 26-08-2010, 01:45 PM   #1

Boat name: Hawkeye 77
Boat make: Marshan 162
Engines: Mariner 60
Cruising area: North coast, out of the camel

Mariner 60 Propeller

Been out a few times now in Hawkeye, love it worth the few weeks hard work to put it together, thanks for the tips from you guys too.

Now I've been looking at a few minor things to improve and have come up with something I know little about.

The propeller, its got a few dents on it and some minor chips, nothing major but it got me thinking it's the original standard one and I know you can fit others (thats about all I know on the subject!).

The number I found on is

48 73 138 A4OL 14P

If someone could tell me a bit about what its got on and if I should get something else.

What are the pro's and con's?

What should I look for, dont want to spend too much so secondhand one would be good.

Cheers

Lanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 01:58 PM   #2

Interests: Boating & classic speed boats
Boat name: Tremlett 15
Boat make: 1973 Gunning/Tremlett 15' & Ribeye 4.5m )
Engines: 1976 Mercury 500 50hp ( & Yam )
Cruising area: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanks View Post
Been out a few times now in Hawkeye, love it worth the few weeks hard work to put it together, thanks for the tips from you guys too.

Now I've been looking at a few minor things to improve and have come up with something I know little about.

The propeller, its got a few dents on it and some minor chips, nothing major but it got me thinking it's the original standard one and I know you can fit others (thats about all I know on the subject!).

The number I found on is

48 73 138 A4OL 14P

If someone could tell me a bit about what its got on and if I should get something else.

What are the pro's and con's?

What should I look for, dont want to spend too much so secondhand one would be good.

Cheers
its 14" pitch, dont know the diameter, not on my list

what revs are you doing ? , the rev band for ur engine is 5300 > 5800 rpm.

Tremlett 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 01:59 PM   #3

Boat make: O****y Vipermax 5.8
Engines: 150 Opti

The prop you have is a 14" pitch.

If you have a tachometer fitted, check what rpm the motor runs at when the boat is normally loaded and running at full throttle. If this is in the recommended RPM range for the motor, then 14" pitch is where you need to be. If it's at the upper end of the max rpm (or above), then you could fit a higher pitched prop, 15" for example and vice versa if it's at the lower end. A higher pitch (coarser) prop will give slower acceleration/higher top speed and vice versa for a finer pitch. If the boat is currently slow to plane and you intend using it for water skiing, then you may need a finer pitch prop to pull the skier out of the water easily.

You can get stainless performance props, but for your boat/motor combo, the added expense wouldn't be worth the cost.
Downhilldai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 01:41 PM   #4

No idea on RPM guys, no tacho.

Is it easy to fit one?

Being new to all this (but enjoying every minute) I'm not sure if its good or bad.

Once I get going I build the speed up about 3/4 throttle and the boat is on planing. I sometimes put full throttle on tilt the engine up and back the throttle back to just over half and its till on plane and not far off top speed.

From a standstill it does need to build up a bit of revs to get going, it chuggs along fine at idle for mooring up too.

Maybe fine as is by the sound of it.
Old 27-08-2010, 01:48 PM   #5

Oh forgot to mention MPG (may help?)

A guy said to me the other day 2 MPG is good for an outboard? (S**t this may be even more expensive than I thought) but I've ran the boat out a few time now and it must be doing 7-10 I think?

Does that sound about right?

I just want it reliable, economical and fast enough to do a bit of skiing and getting out to where I want to be (tall order for all three some may say!ha)

Cheers