Boatmad.com

Old 20-05-2007, 06:07 PM   #1

Interests: photography
Cruising area: Pevensey Bay / Solent

Mercury 200 Upgrades

Hello

Just purchased a Marshan 21 in need of some repairs after being sunk in Sovereign harbour, more of that in the gallery. The boat came with a 1990 2.3 200, I believe 1990 as has the split life off cowling and haven't had a chance to check the serial number yet.

I work for the engineers that previously looked after the engine and identified pitting in the chrome of the bores after it was raced for few years. Not sure on how long she was under when sunk but engine was fogged through and dried out. Currently stripping down the engine to diagnose any water damage and rebuild,

Just wondered if anyone could recommend any upgrades for the engine such as offshore midsection and gear case as I haven’t much experience in this area. Also wish to change the cowling to one piece n tray style.

Also any recommendations on companies to re-chrome or re-sleeve the cylinders?

Thanks for your help

Tom

Tom Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2007, 06:23 PM   #2

Boat name: LILY THE PINK AND TERMINATOR 11
Boat make: PHANTOM 21 AND 20
Engines: 2.5 EFI X 2

It would probably work out cheaper to buy another block than re- chrome or re-sleeve yours.

Old 20-05-2007, 09:56 PM   #3
hello

I think you mean a 2.4 not a 2.3!!!

I don't think a bit of pitting in the sleeves of a chrome bore motor is actually a big problem. Burty's had it when we took the heads off many moons ago. Tighter heads went back on along with the dual stage reeds and cross drilled manifold from an XR2. It screamed round to 6800rpm for many outings after that and pushed his Sharp 19 to over 76mph before being sold on the boat. Wicked motor!!!!!

FYI the tighter heads came straight from a stock 2.0 150. Using these heads is a well known mod for the 2.4 200. Cheapest bang for the buck you'll get!!!
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2007, 10:11 PM   #4

Interests: photography
Cruising area: Pevensey Bay / Solent

thanks for the information guys

my appologise, the 1990 brochure i have states the 200 at 2330 cc. i was of the understanding the engine would over heat after long periods at high revs, the engine has hardly been used since we diagnosed this so couldnt confirm it.
Tom Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2007, 01:26 PM   #5
hello

It shouldn't over heat if the cooling sytem is working correctly. However you shouldn't be revving your motor that high anyway as it has oil injection. Your peak rpm is around 6000. The older motors like the one Burty had didn't have oil injection so could rev into the high 6's. Its power still peaked at 5800 like on yours but they keep pulling well past that. The only thing stopping your motor is the reliability of the oil injection at the higher RPM's (6K+). Some people remove the oil injection and premix the oil with the fuel. So if you wanna make your motor scream do the above along with the tighter heads and 2 stage reeds as mentioned in my previous post.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote