Boatmad.com

Old 28-09-2015, 09:38 PM   #1
Thundercat guy

Boat make: Thundercat
Engines: Yamaha 70ces

Modelling a Propeller

Hi,

For folks who don't know me, I'm studying Naval Architecture with high performance marine vehicles at the University of Strathclyde.
For my fourth year project I want to model a surface piercing propeller, namely a through hub cleaver. I have an 11 x 18 pitch Mercury cleaver which I hope to use as the basis of my design. My aim in the future is to design and model my own propellers, but I would like to start by modelling and existing propeller.

My plan is to get the propeller scanned and get as many figures from it as possible so I can model it. I hope to send it to a company in the UK for this. The prop is in very good condition but I'm going to send it to get repaired so it's perfect in order to start with as good a model as i can.

I want to model this propeller using CAD software and possibly modify the design slightly, I want the prop to use a removable hub kit so it can be replaced if damaged or for use on a different engine.

If anyone has any experience on this would be greatly appreciated, I'm expecting a steep learning curve.

Thanks

roflhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 10:08 PM   #2

What year are you and how much do you already know about surface piercing propellers and modelling them? What modelling techniques do you think would work well? What do pitch, cup, rake, blade area, super cavitation mean to you?
Why would you have a finite thickness trailing edge on a prop?

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 10:18 PM   #3
Thundercat guy

Boat make: Thundercat
Engines: Yamaha 70ces

I'm in 4th year. Almost all of what I know is through practical experience and using them on my own boat, the University hasn't taught me much to do with propellers so far.
I was looking at a piece of software called PropCAD, but they don't do student licences and we don't have it at Strathclyde.
I know a bit about pitch and cup and rake etc. at least in the context of how each parameter affects performance. I've read up a wee bit on super cavitating propellers but I really don't know much about them and it's not something we cover in this course.

My aim for this project is not so much to design a propeller as to model and modify an existing design, I don't pretend to know enough to design my own, or at least not yet. The modification I mention is not to the blades of the propeller, instead to the hub and the pieces which connect the inside to the outside of the hub.
I've been speaking to a few companies in the UK who could take the propeller in question and scan it to create a parametric model, which I could then receive in IGES format ready to be modified using the software available to me (Maxsurf, AutoCAD, Rhino)

Do you think this is a bit ambitious for me at this time? I want to make sure my aim is realistic before I begin but surface piercing props are of interest to me, and I think the whole project would be easier if it's a topic I enjoy.
roflhat is offline   Reply With Quote