Boatmad.com

Old 03-10-2010, 03:40 PM   #1
Trade Member

Interests: ACCELERATION (anykind )

Oil topic

I suggest 40:1 on all motor running 8000 or LESS and 32:1 over 8000 RPMS ...

Mercury does NOT make a 100% fully syn oil. PERIOD don't get dooped ! All from Mercury are blends and made by Golden Spectro ( which is good oil but when a Mercury tag is attached the price doubles and IMO its not worth the price they are asking! ) I've had great luck with Pen 100% syn on Nik/Nicom bores after break - in. turning less than 8K and I use Redline over 8K .

Most recreational boaters don't need or their engine require the over kill of some of these big $$ oils designed for highly stressed engines that have a frequent tear down frequency..

I've also have had GREAT luck with the Mercury as well as the Pen. blends in steel sleeved engines. I now never suggest 100% syn oils in ANY steel sleeved engines nor does Mercury... I have learned a valuable lesson yeas ago , it doesn't take me being BIT but once or twice before I find the cause and a cure and stick to now a 100% success path with blends on steel..

I find it I can usually LOOK at the crank and rotating assembly and TELL the customer what oils he's been running to the experienced eye that is a witness to some of these "magical oils" everyday it VERY apparent ..

ALL of the above text is just my .02 gathered from MY OWN experience building these for 14+ years , not word of mouth or from what I read. Being a one man band and turning out the volume of engine a week I do what I KNOW works to reduce the comebacks due to things within my control is the path I travel..

Thanks and Good luck,
Jay

Jay Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:11 PM   #2

useful post...cheers Jay
baj666 is offline   Reply With Quote