Old 14-01-2009, 11:45 AM   #42
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
You should ask him to bring his Father Christmas outfit....now that is special.

You & TD on each knee.

Ho, Ho, Ho

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 11:50 AM   #43

Interests: sport and being lazy
Boat make: ring rib
Engines: merc xr2
Cruising area: bournemouth bay

Get rid of those drives this is what you need for racing

and of course money no object just bang em on in an evening for the Brass monkey

http://www.flexitab.com/eng_racing.htm
Old 14-01-2009, 02:57 PM   #44
Lakeside Restorations.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
oso has loads of info on procharger vs whipple the procharger is a lot cheaper

long term the whipple is meant to be better kit you get what you pay for but the procharger gives you loads of extra hp for the money lots of people are happy with them

raylar do a n/a kit for the 496 i`ve got no idea how much it is though

http://www.raylarengine.com/packages.html
The whipple is the unit to use if you are going to boost a 496. I have sold & install many different kinds of units & on many different marine platforms. The procharger is not precise enough in my opinion on that 496 platform to provide long term use, unless you are going to remap the ecm, upgrade the fuel system, cooling system & oil coolers & thats just to start.. The Prochargers were finefor the earlier mag stuff (350, 454,502) but they still would be better when run with an upgraded efi/ecm system..

My recomendation is run a whipple if you want boost. I have been running mine on my Donzi going into the 3rd season now since I installed it. I also have upgraded my heat exchanger & oil cooling system. I offer these enhancment parts thru my shop as well as the whipple kits.

The other way to go if you do not want to sun a sc is the Raylar kit. This comes in a few different forms, but they make a very nice product. It also increases power. You could expect about 525-560hp with a BK 103 kit depending on the exhaust you are running & ecm tune. We also sell & install these kits. The money on parts can depending on the variation can sometimes compare to the parts expense of the whipple kit. So money aside it gets to be a SC vs NA engine preference here.

We have also sold & continue to sell many different exhaust systems. This is one of the cheapest ways to get some extra "free" power. However it wont really be huge gains on any motor, let alone a stock 496 Mag or Mag HO.. Realistically, usually the better systems on the market for these 496 get you more like 25-45 hp on a stock 496. You will get a little more if you enhances other engine items whether it be a supercharger upgrade or heads, cam , etc..
That said the Exhaust is also usually one of the easiest to do & safest upgrades. It has been my experience that rarely do you get several MPH on an exhaust upgrade alone, howeverit is not uncommon to see 1-3mph. Also if you are on the edge of already needing a bigger prop an exhaust upgrade can sometimes allow you to run the next size up prop. This is when you usually see the 3-5 mph gains that some people mention. The systems that have worked best for myself & my clients have been to date the stainless marine, CMI & Dana Marine kits. We offer sales & service for all of them as well.

I hope this may help you guys a bit. If anyone is interested further feel free to contact me.. Jamie / Lakeside Restorations 570-639-2628

Lakeside Restorations

Attached Images

www.LakesideRestorations.com
Lakeside Restorations is offline   Reply With Quote