Boatmad.com

Old 10-09-2012, 09:32 PM   #1

Interests: Boating of course
Boat make: 2004 Ebbtide 2300
Engines: 5.7 Volvo Gxi
Cruising area: N. GA

Procharger for Volvo - a message for Pulse8

This is for Pulse8, as I have seen a couple of pictures of his set up for his procharger. This thing looks awesome and I definitely want to do this on my boat. I too have the 5.7 Gxi with the Hi-Tek Marine Headers. I called procharger today and they said that they do not have a kit for Volvo, so obviously your (Pulse8) system has to be a custom job.

So, how did you do it? (mounting, accessories, ECM tuning etc). If you have any more pictures that you can share that would be awesome. I am really bummed that Procharger does not have anything for Volvo, but it can't be that much different can it? Any help that you can provide would be great.

MAGISTER31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:52 PM   #2

Interests: I like Wolffs in schaepclothing
Boat name: Pulse8
Boat make: DORAL/7,6m/ 245 ESCAPE, elite series
Engines: Procharger Volvo Penta 5.7GXI about 490HP

Send a message via Skype™ to Pulse8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGISTER31 View Post
This is for Pulse8, as I have seen a couple of pictures of his set up for his procharger. This thing looks awesome and I definitely want to do this on my boat. I too have the 5.7 Gxi with the Hi-Tek Marine Headers. I called procharger today and they said that they do not have a kit for Volvo, so obviously your (Pulse8) system has to be a custom job.

So, how did you do it? (mounting, accessories, ECM tuning etc). If you have any more pictures that you can share that would be awesome. I am really bummed that Procharger does not have anything for Volvo, but it can't be that much different can it? Any help that you can provide would be great.
Hi Thanks for your nice comment.
Got a real small vid on youtube on my very first startup

I too contacted Procharger in the past.
They just dont want it! What Procharger mentioned back then is, if the setup is properly made tested by me and then maybe approved by Procharger I may/can deliver the setups in the future with Procharger compressors. if not approved by Procharger I can deliver the setup in the future without the charger but still wil take a while.

But coming to my build I thought the same as you did,how difficult could it be to make it fit to the Volvo, so I just ordered the Mercruiser kit.
But guess, nothing fits!!!!
So I made all parts custom.
Main differences are the thermostat housing, powerpulley, idler pulley, throtle body / intake.
Cause of these differences I had to make a custom stainless thermostat housing with stainless hardpipe, brackets with Idler pulley, a waterpump/powerpulley with a bigger offset than the Mercruiser type.
A bracket for the fuelpump with boostcontrolled fuel pressure regulator.
And finally a custom Intercooler cause the throttle intake is positioned a bit more in front but all depends on engine build year/type.

For xtra safety monitoring on the engine I have Hiteks with O2 sensors(for tuning), fuel system with fuel pressure sensor, boost sence on the intake.
Still got to finalize the intercooler and add a blowoffvalve and do a ECM upgrade of my MEFI4 with my burner but need to learn bit more about mapping.
So its not 100% finished yet.

What engine year/ECM and boat do you have?
Also got some pics available if you want.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Afb0184.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	36146   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2667b.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	36147   Click image for larger version

Name:	21052012162.jpg
Views:	2427
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	36148   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1414 (640x480).jpg
Views:	421
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	36149   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1170b.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	36150  

Name:	DPS_Conversion.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	36151   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2664b.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	36152  

Old 12-09-2012, 12:44 AM   #3

Thumbs up Pulse8 is the MAC DADDY

Forgive me for my crude American slang, but you are what we call "The Mac Daddy"! That build is incredibly impressive! WOW. I am still a little hacked that Procharger can't see the worldwide value of having a kit for Volvo. The amount of fabrication that you have done is nothing short of awesome. I can't wait until you finish the intercooler. I have to say that since I see you are in the Netherlands, I am not suprised at the ingenuity of your build. I work for a Dutch company (Philips) and I am always amazed at what some of our engineers in Best come up with.

I would love any and all pictures of your build. I did see your you tube video, it is actually what made me seek you out. I so want to do this to my engine. To be honest the fabrication may be a bit out of my league and is a bit intimidating. I think I have more questions now than I had before!

How much has it cost so far?

How did you make the pulleys?

What intake?

Did you buy your Hi-tek manifolds with the 02 bungs in them already or add them later?

Where are you planning to mount the intercooler?

Soooo many questions...

Also, I have a 2004 (manufactured in 2003) 5.7 GXI-E mated to a DP drive. Not sure how that compares to yours. Thank you so much for the reply and I look forward to seeing the complete 100% product! I hope that you are able to market your design!

As a side note there is a guy in Missouri that could tune your engine remotely on the Internet if you wish.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Forgive me for my crude American slang, but you are what we call "The Mac Daddy"! That build is incredibly impressive! WOW. I am still a little hacked that Procharger can't see the worldwide value of having a kit for Volvo. The amount of fabrication that you have done is nothing short of awesome. I can't wait until you finish the intercooler. I have to say that since I see you are in the Netherlands, I am not suprised at the ingenuity of your build. I work for a Dutch company (Philips) and I am always amazed at what some of our engineers in Best come up with.

I would love any and all pictures of your build. I did see your you tube video, it is actually what made me seek you out. I so want to do this to my engine. To be honest the fabrication may be a bit out of my league and is a bit intimidating. I think I have more questions now than I had before!

How much has it cost so far?

How did you make the pulleys?

What intake?

Did you buy your Hi-tek manifolds with the 02 bungs in them already or add them later?

Where are you planning to mount the intercooler?

Soooo many questions...

Also, I have a 2004 (manufactured in 2003) 5.7 GXI-E mated to a DP drive. Not sure how that compares to yours. Thank you so much for the reply and I look forward to seeing the complete 100% product! I hope that you are able to market your design!

As a side note there is a guy in Missouri that could tune your engine remotely on the Internet if you wish.
Well thanks again for the nice comments.
one fact is that when I do something I only wanna do it right and make it better than someone would expect.
But thats for most dutch companies the same, dont design just make it better

About the costs well I think thats about a new 496 engine right now but thats because I ordered the whole Mercruiser kit I diddn't need and had to make all new parts. Also tried to go a way with the build but went another way like the intercooler about 3 times. The intercooler will be fixed on top of the throtle intake but for that also the fuse box must be relocated. I came to this idea after seeing this setup.

Only with a milling machine you can make a underdrive/power-pulley and measured the stocker volvo pumppulley and the Procharger delivered Procharger one.
I Redesigned it, so the pulley can be used on a Mercruiser AND a Volvo Penta for universal use so I could test my setup also on a Mercruiser with external waterpump.

I already had HI-TEK headers but just ordered a new set with the bung welded in.
It just didn't want to hack up the existing headers and weldinn a bung.

I have the 2005 manufactured GXI-F series with mefi-4 but wished I had the bit newer 2006-2007 one cause it had some more/better ECM wiring/functionality.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Afb0129.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	36181   Click image for larger version

Name:	Afb0123.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	36182   Click image for larger version

Name:	twinblower_big.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	36183  
Old 13-09-2012, 02:10 AM   #5

That pulley is one of the most impressive things in your build. I can't wait until you get your intercooler mounted and you can fully test your unit. So if you were starting right now, what would you purchase from procharger? It sounds like only the actual blower unit? If (actually When ) you get this worked out, if you would be willing and have them, I would love to purchase your plans from you. I have access to fabrication equipment as well as a 5 axis water jet that I believe I could fabricate and mill some of the parts from - my friend has a custom heat exchanger business with a whole bunch of equipment that I could probably use. I also have a friend that is an unbelievable welder that I think would help me. Perhaps if I worked it the right way, I could be into it less than the 496 engine
Old 13-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #6

Quote:
That pulley is one of the most impressive things in your build. I can't wait until you get your intercooler mounted and you can fully test your unit. So if you were starting right now, what would you purchase from procharger? It sounds like only the actual blower unit? If (actually When ) you get this worked out, if you would be willing and have them, I would love to purchase your plans from you. I have access to fabrication equipment as well as a 5 axis water jet that I believe I could fabricate and mill some of the parts from - my friend has a custom heat exchanger business with a whole bunch of equipment that I could probably use. I also have a friend that is an unbelievable welder that I think would help me. Perhaps if I worked it the right way, I could be into it less than the 496 engine
From Procharger you just purchase the charger,everything else DIY.

Milling a pulley is the easiest, take a huge block of aluminium span it and let it spin.
Making the brackets inline with the pulley is a bigger problem

Normally when it would be a production kit, costs would be way less than the cost of a 496 thats for sure.
But for now, all considered with all time spent and effort in redesigning this setup it costed me much more than expected.

Again some pica's.
In my first fase of the build, the chargerbracket aligning it with the idler pulley.
Also my second attempt on the intercooler with a stocker EBAY exchanger but i was not satisfied and yanked it off.
Then the pulley before I anodised it red and prefitting the waterpump.
And a stocker 314 stainless thermostat who I redesigned with some weld- on and AN fittings etc. Also this part has to be revised in the future with a custom made one so all hoses can be connected in much better way than is.

Keep you posted on this setup but also remember me to do so.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1232 (Medium).JPG
Views:	1073
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	36185   Click image for larger version

Name:	spanner_plaat aangepast.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	36186   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1233 (Medium).JPG
Views:	2030
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	36187   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1211 (Medium).JPG
Views:	282
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	36188   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1227 (Medium).JPG
Views:	253
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	36190  

Name:	IMG_1219 (Medium).JPG
Views:	301
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	36191   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1213 (Medium).JPG
Views:	308
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	36192  
Old 14-09-2012, 03:13 AM   #7

Those pics are awesome. I can not wait until you finish the build. Please keep me posted!
Old 22-12-2014, 06:46 PM   #8

beautiful

nice job
i looking to do a projet like this on twin volvo penta 5.7
an with a compression ratio of 9.4 : 1 what king of boost are going to put on
with this ratio i hear a boost of 7 to 8 psi will be the maximun for this engine and the original ecu fuel pression should be ok
the info have have it is ok ?
thank you
and again nice job
STEF12R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2014, 08:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEF12R View Post
nice job
i looking to do a projet like this on twin volvo penta 5.7
an with a compression ratio of 9.4 : 1 what king of boost are going to put on
with this ratio i hear a boost of 7 to 8 psi will be the maximun for this engine and the original ecu fuel pression should be ok
the info have have it is ok ?
thank you
and again nice job
Untill 5PSI no problem but your fuel systeem needs a higher pressure.

It will be tricky with 7PSI without mods, but with some stock mods it can be done and can give you about 540+Hp mentioned by my supplier!!!

But for that 7psi you already need an higher fuel pressure and maybe a fuel pump upgrade, but depands what kind of stock pump you have. you need a Colder thermostat and bigger powerpulley.
ECU can run as stock but its better to upgrade the ECM.
bigger manifolds, I got some HI-teks manifolds we also selling.

Its best to check the exhaust gasses with a A/F monitor / O² sensors.
in low revs higher ratio, in the higher revs lower ratio.
also making 7PSI on a stock engine for a longer time of period will heat up your engine a lot cmpared to stock and eventually take out your iternals. The nodular crank can take up to 500hp for short time of period and not all at once, it will crack. so the crank $600,00 some piston with rods should be upgraded with forged 4340 steel. top it off with some high performance AFR aluminium heads and closed cooling and a steady 600+hp can be reached.
but at what price
Old 25-12-2014, 12:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulse8 View Post
Untill 5PSI no problem but your fuel systeem needs a higher pressure.

It will be tricky with 7PSI without mods, but with some stock mods it can be done and can give you about 540+Hp mentioned by my supplier!!!

But for that 7psi you already need an higher fuel pressure and maybe a fuel pump upgrade, but depands what kind of stock pump you have. you need a Colder thermostat and bigger powerpulley.
ECU can run as stock but its better to upgrade the ECM.
bigger manifolds, I got some HI-teks manifolds we also selling.

Its best to check the exhaust gasses with a A/F monitor / O² sensors.
in low revs higher ratio, in the higher revs lower ratio.
also making 7PSI on a stock engine for a longer time of period will heat up your engine a lot cmpared to stock and eventually take out your iternals. The nodular crank can take up to 500hp for short time of period and not all at once, it will crack. so the crank $600,00 some piston with rods should be upgraded with forged 4340 steel. top it off with some high performance AFR aluminium heads and closed cooling and a steady 600+hp can be reached.
but at what price
i dont want to put some 500 + hp on the boat i have a larson cabrio 310 and my outdrive won't take it but around 350 hp each engines will be nice and better fuel efficiency
thank you for your information
Old 28-12-2014, 11:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEF12R View Post
i dont want to put some 500 + hp on the boat i have a larson cabrio 310 and my outdrive won't take it but around 350 hp each engines will be nice and better fuel efficiency
thank you for your information

well the outdrive legs can hold it for sure.
but you mentioned you wanted a similar project like me, but I think its better you stick with some stock engines like the 5,7GXI. this is your best option.
Old 29-12-2014, 05:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulse8 View Post
well the outdrive legs can hold it for sure.
but you mentioned you wanted a similar project like me, but I think its better you stick with some stock engines like the 5,7GXI. this is your best option.
ok thank you
have a nice new year