Boatmad.com

Old 08-05-2006, 11:53 AM   #1

Interests: Boats, Surfing & Snowboarding
Boat name: Isabella / Cool Runnings II / Bella / Sea Pup / Sea Dog / Speedy II / Bernico F3
Boat make: Colvic 35 Suncruiser / Bernico F3 / Phantom 16 / Zodiac 420 YL / RIB / Apollo 9
Engines: 2 x Perkins Sabre 225ti / Mercury Pro XS /Mercury Pro XS 115/ Tohatsu 2.5 / Mercury 25 / Mercury 50
Cruising area: Thames Estuary / River Crouch / Salcombe

Question for Gav

Question for Gav

I recently drilled three holes in my boat to attached a stainless piece of trim I then screwed in to the holes, the screws are attached on the outside of the gelcoat going through to the fibre galss. Is it OK to just put the crews in or should I have put resin on the screws first?

Thanks

Stewart

Old 08-05-2006, 12:55 PM   #2
hello

Bit of silicone wouldn't have hurt, keep the water out. If you're worried about them pulling out and you can get to the other side then nut and bolt it and use penny washers. If you cant get to the other side then resin would hold it in better than silicone but you might never get em back out should you ever wan't to, narmean!!!

JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 01:07 PM   #3

Boat name: Isabella / Cool Runnings II / Bella / Sea Pup / Sea Dog / Speedy II / Bernico F3
Boat make: Colvic 35 Suncruiser / Bernico F3 / Phantom 16 / Zodiac 420 YL / RIB / Apollo 9
Engines: 2 x Perkins Sabre 225ti / Mercury Pro XS /Mercury Pro XS 115/ Tohatsu 2.5 / Mercury 25 / Mercury 50

Cheers will bash a bit of silicone on them then, another problem I have is a leaky cuddy cabin when it rains trying to find the leak is a nightmare – bilges are bone dry!, got a horrible feeling it’s the deck to hull join!!!!!!! Going to have a closer inspection this week, seems to be a lot on the internet relating to hull deck join problems mainly from survey sites but very little information on how to fix them, Gav any ideas? Is this something your compnay can remedy?
Old 08-05-2006, 01:28 PM   #4

If's it's gonna be load bearing, you should really bolt em in with a wooden backing plate to spread the load, unless it's a wooden core already (like transom, for example). Sealer is a must, IMVHO.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 01:34 PM   #5

Spoke to fletecher they reckon the windscreen may need re-caulking in! The supports holding the windscreen up do look sh*t and you lean on them when going up on to the foredeck, going to inspect the inside tonight and put a hose on the outside Gav do you re-caulk windows?

Anyone else had this problem on Fletcher sports cruisers cuddy cabins?

Another possible theory appears to be the screws going in from the outside to hold the rubbing strip on.

God I am starting to hate boats! My favourite boat is the tender with its tohatsu 2.5HP cheap fun and full of dings already anyways!
Old 08-05-2006, 02:05 PM   #6

Boat make: Fletcher Arrowstreak GTS
Engines: Mercruiser
Cruising area: thames estuary

I had to remove and reseal the rubbing strip on my fletcher to cure a hard to find water leak, so you may be on the right track there. Hull to deck join had been siliconed at the factory, but they had missed a bit!
surfpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 02:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally posted by surfpilot
I had to remove and reseal the rubbing strip on my fletcher to cure a hard to find water leak, so you may be on the right track there. Hull to deck join had been siliconed at the factory, but they had missed a bit!
Did you manage to get the same rubbing strip back on again or did you have to buy another one?
Old 08-05-2006, 02:28 PM   #8

old one went back on, no problem. You may need to warm the rubber insert with hot water to make it easier to fit.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:15 PM   #9
Gav

Send a message via Skype™ to Gav
silversurfer,
as others have already said, a bit of silicone sealant on the screws wouldnt go amiss.

get the hose on the boat, find out where she is leaking from then we can decipher the best course of action.

Gav
Gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 10:07 PM   #10

Cheers Gav have removed the trim on the inside of the boat and the wood on the Starboard side is wet the port side is dry (this is the wood on the deck join which the rubbing strip and the internal trim is attached to). Going to remove some more trim to check i have no leaks round the windscreen and window hatch, then get the hose on!

Will post some pics
Old 08-05-2006, 10:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Cheers looks like this may be the problem!

your in West Cliff? I am in Leigh-on-sea
Old 09-05-2006, 10:14 AM   #12

Yeah, think i,ve seen you down at two tree a couple of times when you had the phantom, small world innit'
Old 09-05-2006, 10:24 AM   #13

We should met up with taz some time
Old 09-05-2006, 11:13 AM   #14

Sure, let me know when your out next, though not sure i'd be able to keep with you guys, the 3.0 inboards good on the juice, but more suited to skiing and towing which is what we do most of the time.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:38 AM   #15

Took the entire rub rail off found two gaps in the silicone where the deck and hull join both quite large!!!, Filled with stikoflex put all the screws back in with stikolex to seal, must have been nearly 100 hundred screws! Hope fully that’s fixed the problem! – Never thought I would say this but now waiting for the rain again!

Thanks for your help!
Old 11-05-2006, 10:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Sure, let me know when your out next, though not sure i'd be able to keep with you guys, the 3.0 inboards good on the juice, but more suited to skiing and towing which is what we do most of the time.
I am a bit slower nowadays with the fletcher!