numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Re: Rocker switches

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyco
On the Bernico I had three rocker switches mounted on a equally pitched Rex three spoke wheel, by pushing any of the buttons towards the outside of the wheel the engine trimmed up, and inside of the wheel - trim down.
This way when the helm would creep you always had a trim button within reach.

Cyco
Yes, but you only had one engine/drive.

The best I could do is have the same setup as you, with the switches operating both drives together (via a couple a diodes), and use the dash mounted switches to adjust tween drives.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2006, 09:02 AM   #22

Interests: Fast boats
Boat name: Xtreme
Boat make: Bernico 21
Engines: Mercury F1, 300 Drag, XR2 "Fingerported"
Cruising area: South West

Re: Re: Rocker switches

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Fuller
Yes, but you only had one engine/drive.

The best I could do is have the same setup as you, with the switches operating both drives together (via a couple a diodes), and use the dash mounted switches to adjust tween drives.
Yeh quite a bit more work invovled for twin drive aplication.
The Helm adaptors are not cheap either, what system do you have at present?

Cyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2006, 09:11 AM   #23
numbskull

Char lynn helm unit, char lynn 2.5" column, IMCO bezel, IMCO 6" extended boss, equidistant 3 spoke wheel.

I'd most likely make the slip ring affair myself, integrating it into the imco bezel/boss.

My current setup
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hub.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	9066  

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Old 22-06-2006, 01:01 PM   #24

Send a message via AIM to Burty
Re: Rocker switches

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyco

Can't remember any electric shocks tho?

Cyco
if you had your hands in line with the switches, when you gripped the wheel with wet hads it would give you a zap
Burty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2006, 01:06 PM   #25

Interests: boating, wakeboarding, snowboarding, fitness
Boat name: Outlaw
Boat make: Phantom 21ft
Engines: Yamaha 200hp
Cruising area: Zele / Kanaal Gent-Terneuzen

Thx Cyco, I've concidered moving the fuel tank to the back...
But the tank is too big and too heavy.

Moreover, I think the previous owner has deliberatly installed it in the front to give counterweight to the heavy engine. The filling cap of the old small fuel tank is still in the back btw...
Now, even with the tank in the front the bow is pointing to the moon at slow speeds before planing... Kinda normal though, but too much is too much.

I also concidered installing a tank in the hull-bottom. Too much work for this boat. I've talked to someone at my the local boating club who has done this with his ring 18ft, and we agreed it's not worth the effort... after all the handling of my boat is not all that bad...

Instead I made a new fixation for the fuel tank in the front. Gives me more legroom and a fueltank that doesn't move 0,5inch anymore

Here's the promised pic of my boat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	b1.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	9068  
Toffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2006, 01:07 PM   #26
numbskull

Quote:
Originally posted by Burty
twin cable is heavy
Another point is, when double ride-guide is fitted in the 'normal' way, to adjust out the slack, you have to have one cable unter slight tension, and one under slight compression. the one under compression is very un-natural, and suffers with increased friction.

When rigging the old 4 litre cats with twin cable (ride-guide) we used to have one cable going port side & one stbd, with the racks mounted one above and one below the hub/pinion.

This meant that when the slack was adjusted out, the cables were both always used in tension, which made for a far lighter, smoother operation.

There's no reason why it wouldn't be possible to do it this way with a single motor, with a small amount of custom work at the motor end of things and a double drag link.

It would obviously only be possible with the rack & pinion type system though.

Old 22-06-2006, 01:10 PM   #27
numbskull

Quote:
Originally posted by Toffy
Here's the promised pic of my boat.
Is that definitely a Ring 16? I'm no expert on Rings, but haven't seen one like that before.

JF

Old 22-06-2006, 01:18 PM   #28

Hi Jon, I bought it as a Ring 4 years ago... but I'm not 100% sure.
At my boatclub in Belgium there are a few ring-owners, and everyone confirmed me that it's a Ring allright... I compared it to the pictures of rockey's '95 16ft Ring and it's quite similar... Off course mine is a lot older... I guess early '80 's...
Old 22-06-2006, 01:48 PM   #29

another pic... showing a bit more of the back and engine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	b4.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	9070  
Old 23-06-2006, 08:39 AM   #30

Boat make: Cobalt 263
Engines: Merc HP500EFI

Nice wheels hubs

Lovely shine
Old 23-06-2006, 05:15 PM   #31

Interests: Boating
Boat make: Hydrostream HST
Engines: Merc 2.5 200
Cruising area: The Schelde

Quote:
another pic... showing a bit more of the back and engine.
Hey, i know you are from the club Costa zela isnt it? I've seen your boat there a few times before. I'm a member too over there!
Old 23-06-2006, 07:45 PM   #32

Hi there ! That's me allright. But I don't know you.. yet
Saw your Fletcher project on the site www.costazela.be
Looks very nice. Seems you guys have polyester experience now.

I strengthened the back of my boat this year, the result is good but maybe next year I'm going for a transom rebuilt... you can read all about it at his link http://forums.screamandfly.com/forum...521#post882521
We'll see each other ok ? Can't come this sunday, maybe next week or so...

by the way happy birthday !
greets, T.
Old 24-06-2006, 08:35 AM   #33

Quote:
Hi there ! That's me allright. But I don't know you.. yet
Saw your Fletcher project on the site www.costazela.be
Looks very nice. Seems you guys have polyester experience now.

I strengthened the back of my boat this year, the result is good but maybe next year I'm going for a transom rebuilt... you can read all about it at his link http://forums.screamandfly.com/forum...521#post882521
We'll see each other ok ? Can't come this sunday, maybe next week or so...

by the way happy birthday !
greets, T.
Indeed, now i'm grinding grinding and grinding.. A lot of work. The structure of the boat is done. So it just needs paint. I've got the same jackplate as yours. If you have questions about replcaing your transom than shoot them

If the weather is fine i'll be there next week. You'll see me. I measure almost 2m and nobody else does over there so it wont be the problem to recognize me...
Old 25-06-2006, 04:36 PM   #34

Hi guys !

Yesterday (saturday) we did some testing. Think we found the best possible setup now. Fast in a straight line and not too much prop-ventilation in the corners.

First we did a run with the engine 15mm higher than its original position. = same test as last week. My brother and I agreed this gave too much prop ventilation while cornering...

For the second testrun we removed the trimtabs + lowered the engine again about 10mm. (This means we are still 5mm higher than original setup). We found out that the trimtabs DO make a difference, but not a lot... : During highspeed run, it's a bit more sensitive to chinewalking without the tabs. Kinda logic cause our relative short 16ft boat becomes a bit longer with installed trimtabs... We were a bit surprised to see that there was practically NO differece in acceleration to get it planing.
The 10mm lower engine performed a lot better in the corners... Just a bit of prop ventilation, but not a lot..... It's just perfect

We did several GPS-speed measurements.
We topped at 106km/h or 65,9mph with 3 people. Quite happy with this.
Keeping balance and controlling the chinewalk are still the key factors at this speed. We always have to release the throttle to regain balance and therefore keeping it safe. I think 110km/h must be possible in perfect conditions (2people for less weight and good balance, reattached trimtabs for good balance and off course absolutely flat watersurface)

So, now we're gonna enjoy the waterski and wakeboard season!
For the future we'll consider putting on larger trimtabs and dual cable or hydraulic steering... we'll see !

Bye! T.
Old 25-06-2006, 10:52 PM   #35

Send a message via AIM to Burty
Cool Dude.
Burty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 04:40 PM   #36

Quote:
Hi guys !

Yesterday (saturday) we did some testing. Think we found the best possible setup now. Fast in a straight line and not too much prop-ventilation in the corners.

First we did a run with the engine 15mm higher than its original position. = same test as last week. My brother and I agreed this gave too much prop ventilation while cornering...

For the second testrun we removed the trimtabs + lowered the engine again about 10mm. (This means we are still 5mm higher than original setup). We found out that the trimtabs DO make a difference, but not a lot... : During highspeed run, it's a bit more sensitive to chinewalking without the tabs. Kinda logic cause our relative short 16ft boat becomes a bit longer with installed trimtabs... We were a bit surprised to see that there was practically NO differece in acceleration to get it planing.
The 10mm lower engine performed a lot better in the corners... Just a bit of prop ventilation, but not a lot..... It's just perfect

We did several GPS-speed measurements.
We topped at 106km/h or 65,9mph with 3 people. Quite happy with this.
Keeping balance and controlling the chinewalk are still the key factors at this speed. We always have to release the throttle to regain balance and therefore keeping it safe. I think 110km/h must be possible in perfect conditions (2people for less weight and good balance, reattached trimtabs for good balance and off course absolutely flat watersurface)

So, now we're gonna enjoy the waterski and wakeboard season!
For the future we'll consider putting on larger trimtabs and dual cable or hydraulic steering... we'll see !

Bye! T.
Hey, saw you were talking with others people of the club. ouwere standing next to nicola his phantom 18F. I was trailering the boat. Did is understand it right than someone didnt believe your boat is capable doing 100ish km/h?
Old 05-07-2006, 06:01 PM   #37

Hi there !

Yup, I was there with my brother and friends. Sorry I didn't see you dude... maybe I was to tired from wakeboarding... ??
Next time we'll see eachother OK ? But not this sunday, can't come, the week after...

Frank (runs the club and bar) was a bit sceptic about my boat doing 106km/h. But hey... GPS measurements don't lie and he was also there that saturday. I have it on video btw... (to large to post sorry)

Conditions were just perfect. Absolutely flat watersurface, like a mirror. But I have to admit there was just a little bit downstream. Not much though, you can't get mirror-like water with a lot of downstream. 100km/h was easy. Should be able to go upto 110km/h with good dual cable/hydraulic steering...

Great new engine on the boat of Nicola btw...
That Merc 200 Optimax has very amazing fuel economy compared to his previous engine + it 's very silent...
His previous engine had more horsepower, but now he needs half the fuel, and still has top speed of 115km/h in stead of 125km/h...

Bey !
T.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:03 AM   #38

Quote:
Hi there !

Yup, I was there with my brother and friends. Sorry I didn't see you dude... maybe I was to tired from wakeboarding... ??
Next time we'll see eachother OK ? But not this sunday, can't come, the week after...

Frank (runs the club and bar) was a bit sceptic about my boat doing 106km/h. But hey... GPS measurements don't lie and he was also there that saturday. I have it on video btw... (to large to post sorry)

Conditions were just perfect. Absolutely flat watersurface, like a mirror. But I have to admit there was just a little bit downstream. Not much though, you can't get mirror-like water with a lot of downstream. 100km/h was easy. Should be able to go upto 110km/h with good dual cable/hydraulic steering...

Great new engine on the boat of Nicola btw...
That Merc 200 Optimax has very amazing fuel economy compared to his previous engine + it 's very silent...
His previous engine had more horsepower, but now he needs half the fuel, and still has top speed of 115km/h in stead of 125km/h...

Bey !
T.
Dont mind about Franky. Its indeed a great engine of him. Dont think that by changing steering you will gain 5km/h.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:46 PM   #39

Yeah, Franky's engine is a 225hp V6 Evinrude tuned upto 263hp... Get's 65 mph with it on his Ring21... Great boat with enormous acceleration, but it isn't setup for speed... Think it's a quite thirsty engine also. I believe he still wants to sell it...

For my boat : think I can go faster with better steering. It's a new single cable system with a bit slack on it. I can't control it at top speed, I always have to let go of the throttle... with a better steeringsystem I should be able to control it better and leave it longer at full throttle... But OK, 110km/h is just an estimation off course...
Old 06-07-2006, 07:21 PM   #40

Quote:
Yeah, Franky's engine is a 225hp V6 Evinrude tuned upto 263hp... Get's 65 mph with it on his Ring21... Great boat with enormous acceleration, but it isn't setup for speed... Think it's a quite thirsty engine also. I believe he still wants to sell it...

For my boat : think I can go faster with better steering. It's a new single cable system with a bit slack on it. I can't control it at top speed, I always have to let go of the throttle... with a better steeringsystem I should be able to control it better and leave it longer at full throttle... But OK, 110km/h is just an estimation off course...
Only 65mph thats slow for 263pk. The reason i think is his 4blade prop.