Boatmad.com

Old 15-05-2012, 11:13 PM   #1

Silicane hose on raw water side.

Has anyone ever used silicon hose for raw water side of cooling system ?

My concerns are that although reinforced, silicon does not have the rigidity of rubber hose and if the strainer became blocked whether it would suck its self flat. Also it does not have the puncture resistance of rubber hose, and where as the sealed system engine cooling failed it would only have may be a gallon or so of coolant. But if the raw water side failed it would flood the engine bay and possibly sink the boat in a short space of time.

Any thought or practical experience anyone?

PerformanceDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #2

You can get a spiral reinforced silicone hose that is up to the job - (Samco Superflex, Merlin Motorsport)

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #3

Yes you are right with your assumptions, silicone has poor cut resistance compared with other rubbers and most of these mandrel built hoses are not designed for suction.

You need to spec a good quality rubber 'suction' hose, afraid you'll have to put up with poor bend radiuses and it being harder to fit to tails.

Also a surveyor once insisted that I fitted fire rated hose to all of the raw water side below the water line.
Scarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 12:39 PM   #4

Many thanks for your replies. I spoke to Merlin Motorsport today on 01249 782101 and they were very helpful.

Just for anyone with the same application, they do two ranges made by Samco that are steal spiral wound, Superflex (SFL) which you can see the spiral on the outside and Xtraflex (XFL) which is the same but has a smooth finish. The main difference is cosmetic.
Old 16-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #5

Yeh, I've been using merlin since 1997 when I was building my Ultima. A really nice company to deal with.
And my old formula had a piece of superflex hose from them on the raw water inlet.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 02:40 AM   #6

Hi Matt

Lovely car the Ultima, have you still got it? They hold the speed record for 0-100mph and stop 9.4 seconds. Totally smashed the Top Gear lap record @ 1 min 12.8 seconds, the fastest on Top Gear was the Koenigsegg at 1 min 17.6 seconds. Top Gear won’t have it on the show because they say it’s not a production car.

Really wanted one on the road until I had a sit in one, it was very difficult getting in and out because of the high sill and roll cage