Boatmad.com

Old 25-07-2013, 10:30 PM   #1

Warning Motorhome Tyres

I know there are a few members who have motohomes.

Motorhome tyres need to be changed between 5-7 years as they internally break down I guess to the constant standing in one place.

I have just come back from a 2 week trip in France and spent 5 days parked up in a small village with blown tyres. My motorhome is 10 years old from new and had passed its MOT the week before the trip.
Tyres were in excellent condition but after 400 miles one blew up 10 mins after parking up.
We changed that tyre made some phone calls and found out about the 5 yearish rule.
Drove very slowly to find a camp site and the inner rear blew up 15 km later
Some say its the sun light personally i don't believe that as the inside of the front blew and the inside of the double blew.

To make matters worse we drove into a small road off the lane and parked up in someones drive the bad luck continued as we punched a hole in his drive. Parked ontop of a drain.

Nearest town was 6km fortunatly had bikes. Chucked the old man 50 euros to repair the drain in return he gave us 2 lettuces and a bottle of wine,. By day 3 his son who lived next door let us use his swimming pool.
We were very lucky to of broken down where we did but still messed the holiday up. Missed most of the tour de france that we went for.
Ended up changing all 6

2nd picture shows the hole we made forgive the Tour de France cyclist that got in the way
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2403.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	39184   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2355.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	289.5 KB
ID:	39185   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2370.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	337.3 KB
ID:	39186   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2396.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	323.1 KB
ID:	39187   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2401.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	260.8 KB
ID:	39188  

hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 05:20 AM   #2

Very odd

You would have thought you would get the same thing happening to trailers as they do a lot of just sitting about to , must say seems very odd indeed
And the price of motorhomes you would think you would get top tyres .

russ williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 07:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ williams View Post
You would have thought you would get the same thing happening to trailers as they do a lot of just sitting about to , must say seems very odd indeed
And the price of motorhomes you would think you would get top tyres .
I should of added Caravans and trailers do have the same problem.

Just been given this link http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23320526
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:37 PM   #4

Interests: Boats, kids and looking after the Wife HaHa
Boat name: Shamu
Boat make: Banana Shark 770
Engines: Mercury XS300
Cruising area: Solent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunton69 View Post
I know there are a few members who have motohomes.

Motorhome tyres need to be changed between 5-7 years as they internally break down I guess to the constant standing in one place.

I have just come back from a 2 week trip in France and spent 5 days parked up in a small village with blown tyres. My motorhome is 10 years old from new and had passed its MOT the week before the trip.
Tyres were in excellent condition but after 400 miles one blew up 10 mins after parking up.
We changed that tyre made some phone calls and found out about the 5 yearish rule.
Drove very slowly to find a camp site and the inner rear blew up 15 km later
Some say its the sun light personally i don't believe that as the inside of the front blew and the inside of the double blew.

To make matters worse we drove into a small road off the lane and parked up in someones drive the bad luck continued as we punched a hole in his drive. Parked ontop of a drain.

Nearest town was 6km fortunatly had bikes. Chucked the old man 50 euros to repair the drain in return he gave us 2 lettuces and a bottle of wine,. By day 3 his son who lived next door let us use his swimming pool.
We were very lucky to of broken down where we did but still messed the holiday up. Missed most of the tour de france that we went for.
Ended up changing all 6

2nd picture shows the hole we made forgive the Tour de France cyclist that got in the way
Are the tyres commercial rated? They are on my transit van and there suppose to be more heavy duty.

If I remember correctly they have a 'C' stamped on the tyre wall.

Only that I fitted the spare not that long back and that's been under the van for at least 8 yrs that I've had it.
Banana Shark Dave is offline   Reply With Quote