Old 25-06-2005, 11:10 PM   #1

Interests: Big Dinners
Boat name: Never Enough
Boat make: Seaquel 600xs
Engines: 225hp Merc ProMax
Cruising area: Anywhere! I prefer Weymouth

Send a message via AIM to MrRob
Water Jet.

I started my 225 Pro Max for the first time today on the flush muffs. It has a CLE Bullet box with low water pickups. While running it like this it didnt apear to have a very strong stream of water jetting out of the back and seemed as if most of the water was flowing out of the back of the prop shaft at the bottom.
When the engine is not running the water flows out of the sides of the flush muff rather then out of the back of the prop shaft like when its running.
The jet coming out the other end was more of a squirt, squirt, squirt. Is this normal while running on flush muffs?

Old 25-06-2005, 11:35 PM   #2
hello

When the engine is not running water pressure will build up behind the pump and thus force its way past seal on the flushing tool. When the motor is running the pump will suck water and it will flow out of the engine in the normal way which includes the water that runs down the inside of the midsection in order to keep it cool. This water will exit the same way the exhaust gasses do i.e through the centre of the prop and/or out of the exhaust relief if you have an offshore midsection. Some water will also exit via the tell tail/s. It may not be as a strong jet due to the hose not being able to supply as much water as if the boat was in the water, or simply because the engine is at idle.

Here's a lovely video of my boat running on the hose!!!

http://www.mattyorke.com/images/other/millersboat.avi

JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2005, 10:42 AM   #3

Interests: Big Dinners
Boat name: Never Enough
Boat make: Seaquel 600xs
Engines: 225hp Merc ProMax
Cruising area: Anywhere! I prefer Weymouth

Send a message via AIM to MrRob
When the engine is running I dont get any water rushing passed the seal of the flush tool. You think this is because the hose is not suppling enough water?
Old 26-06-2005, 12:38 PM   #4
hello

No its because the engine is taking the water supplied where as when its not running the water is backing up behind the pump and has no where to go other than past the seal of the flushing tool. Most hoses aren't going to supply as much water as if the boat were in water, but it doesnt really matter as your only flushing the engine through for 30 seconds to a minute at idle. It won't be in any danger of over heating in that amount of time and your keeping the water pump impellor wet whilst it running, thats the main thing as running them dry will wear them out pretty quickly.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote