Old 27-01-2006, 12:43 PM   #1
Large member

Interests: Official smartass
Boat name: Seahorse.org
Boat make: a V24 and a SLOW unstable ICE Bladerunner
Engines: 2x300 promax, 320 Volvo
Cruising area: England/France & Med

What can you tow with a truck.

I was at VOSA yesterday getting a MOT for the truck. I asked very specifically what is the biggest longest heavyest load I can tow with my truck without having the additional warnings, flashing lights etc.

Firstly: this is for the truck, which is Private Heavy Goods.
Second: you need a CE rated licence ( up to but not exceeding 7500kg with trailer ) ( the truck is 7.49 tone, not 7.5 ton ! - so you dont need a DE licence.)

I can tow a trailer that is a length of 35 foot, width of 9'9", height 12 foot weighing up to 5500kg providing the total weight of the 'train' does not exceed 10 990KG. If my truck is loaded to the MAX ie 7490kg then my trailer can only max out at 3500kg.

The length of the trailer excludes the 'drawbar' which is basically the connector between the end of the trailer and the begining of the truck. It is hard to determine what the 'draw bar' is in a custom built boat trailer, as there is no defining point, so the buest guess would be that portion of the bar that starts after the furtheres point of the boat being trailerd. The draw bar should not exceed 6 foot.

So the technical total length of traler and boat as we would think of it - from light bar to tow hitch is 41 foot.

So I know what my actual legal limits are - for the truck.

Can anyone tell me the rules for towing for a Smart Car? I am assuming that the Blade Runner would be too big?

verytricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2006, 02:03 PM   #2

Re: What can you tow with a truck.

Quote:
Originally posted by verytricky
..... you need a CE rated licence ( up to but not exceeding 7500kg with trailer ) ( the truck is 7.49 tone, not 7.5 ton ! - so you dont need a DE licence.)

I can tow a trailer that is a length of 35 foot, width of 9'9", height 12 foot weighing up to 5500kg providing the total weight of the 'train' does not exceed 10 990KG. If my truck is loaded to the MAX ie 7490kg then my trailer can only max out at 3500kg.

Bit of confusion on Licence categories. C1E will do for your truck assuming you passed your B test after 1997 (Max GTW of 12,000Kg assuming your truck is plated for that) or you will be restricted to 8,250KG GTW. The code 107 on your licence will indicate this. CE will only be required if your truck exceeded 7,500Kg. DE is a bus and trailer. I Will have to brush up on dimmensions for trailers.....

<edit>...up to 12m long but trailer and tow must be less than 18m Width 2.55M all excluding permissible overhangs, I assume...

Old 27-01-2006, 04:07 PM   #3

Interests: powerboats
Boat name: Thumper
Boat make: Fletcher
Engines: Johnson 225hp
Cruising area: Carlingford

hook the smart car behind the boat on a dolly and have a road train, that would fook a traffic cops day for sure!
Brian-Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2006, 09:40 PM   #4

Interests: Refit/Re-engine Woody's P18 and helping with D2S.
Boat name: Fugazi II / D2S
Boat make: Phantom 18 / Planatec 41'
Engines: 1xMercury XR2 / 2x 8.1ltr Chevys
Cruising area: Kent/Hampshire/Dorset Coasts

Re: What can you tow with a truck.

Quote:

Firstly: this is for the truck, which is Private Heavy Goods.
Second: you need a CE rated licence ( up to but not exceeding 7500kg with trailer ) ( the truck is 7.49 tone, not 7.5 ton ! - so you dont need a DE licence.)
A DE licence is for a 53 seater and trailer!
Looks like i'm covered to tow. C+E Cat2 Restriction (Drawbar Trailers Only) Thats 44 Tonnes over 6 axles. The reason behind this is apparently back when the licensing system changed, the EU said that anyone who had a class 2 (multi-axle rigid) licence could up grade to a class 1 (Artic) licence coz with the class 2 you could tow a drawbar trailer (lorry and drag). The ministry then realised that 1000's of people could then potentially drive an artic without ever having towed a trailer. So it was written that if you could prove you had driven a lorry and drag for a certain length of time your licence was upgraded, if not you kept the drawbar entitlement. At the end of the day it all goes on plated weights.
SplitPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2006, 12:15 AM   #5
Large member

Interests: Official smartass
Boat name: Seahorse.org
Boat make: a V24 and a SLOW unstable ICE Bladerunner
Engines: 2x300 promax, 320 Volvo
Cruising area: England/France & Med

Re: Re: What can you tow with a truck.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jono
Bit of confusion on Licence categories. C1E will do for your truck assuming you passed your B test after 1997
I passed my 'B' test in 1984
verytricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2006, 07:48 AM   #6

Re: Re: Re: What can you tow with a truck.

Quote:
I passed my 'B' test in 1984
If you have code 102 then your limit is 8,250 GTW not 12,000 GTW...
Old 31-01-2006, 07:54 AM   #7

Re: Re: What can you tow with a truck.

Quote:
Originally posted by SplitPin
A DE licence is for a 53 seater and trailer!

That's what I said.. I was pointing it out to Mr Tricky, who has been given some duff info, by the sounds of it....

Quote:
Originally posted by SplitPin
Looks like i'm covered to tow. C+E Cat2 Restriction (Drawbar Trailers Only) Thats 44 Tonnes over 6 axles. The reason behind this is apparently back when the licensing system changed, the EU said that anyone who had a class 2 (multi-axle rigid) licence could up grade to a class 1 (Artic) licence coz with the class 2 you could tow a drawbar trailer (lorry and drag). The ministry then realised that 1000's of people could then potentially drive an artic without ever having towed a trailer. So it was written that if you could prove you had driven a lorry and drag for a certain length of time your licence was upgraded, if not you kept the drawbar entitlement. At the end of the day it all goes on plated weights.
...and the old "class 3" got to be C+E with draw-bar restriction (code 107)....