Martyn W

Interests: Burning fuel!!!
Boat name: The Magician, A Fine Pair
Boat make: ring20b, chriscraft stinger 26
Engines: merc XR2, 2X AQ311B 5.7's
Cruising area: channel islands

what steering to use?

Hi all,
Been a while since I posted here but was wondering if anyone had and ideas on what I need.
I have a chris craft stinger 260 with merc'd Volvo aq311 5.7's running counter rotating alpha gen1 drives
Just pulled it out the water to winter it and make a few upgrades, the standard power steering setup is OK but the hydrolic ram has failed and needs to be replaced. I found even when the system was working the 'feel' on the system was rubbish compared to hydrolic steering on my raceboats, almost as if 1/8 turn was stiff play until the hydrolics kick in and it then goes fine. The boat has proved to be a very tight turning agile boat but the steering makes it difficult to fling around. As I was running in 1 of my drives I had only taken both engines to just over 4000rpm 2/3 throttles and was hitting GPS 57mph, I must admit at even these speeds I didn't have much faith in steering it as small adjustments were difficult to make.
Would a external steering system be possible with a tie-bar between drives? If so can anyone point me in the right direction?
The drives are 690mm centre to centre.
When it goes back in the water I want to be able to nail the 600+HP to the dash without worrying about turning corners with crap steering.
Thanks in advance.
martynwilley is offline   Reply With Quote