Boatmad.com

Old 13-12-2009, 11:10 PM   #21

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
What it's got to do with it is, you've never said that before, it's always been that you didn't want the speed, or poor handling that they would bring, ie, on safety grounds. but when I say that ultra fast craft, with a higher tendency to blow over, are in my opinion, best left out of the relatively slow, affordable and safe Marathon series, you reply with "when your times up, it's up", as if trying to encourage safe classes is a waste of time, and fate is the only thing in control.

So, don't play the safety card when it suits you, and poo poo it when someone else does.

I have dozens of reasons why I think the rules for Marathon should stay as they were, but that video demonstrates how ridiculous it would be to run multihulls in M class, especially with size, weight and length rules in line with the current mono rules, as the Irish have. It proves they haven't got a scooby doo what they're talking about and people who haven't got a scooby, shouldn't be deciding on technical rules, especially if it affects safety, in a series with no safety cover!
I'm with you all the way there Jon, I have to say that film filled me with horror. It’s the MAIN reason behind our original decision not to allow CATS to race in Marathon. It’s the fact that they can flip like that or even break up (as they did in the 1984 RB race) which should make every Organising Club think twice if they don’t want a multi million pound law suit falling in their lap and believe me that is going to happen at some time or another if CAT's are allowed to take part in races that run far out at sea.

The question has to be asked, how can the Irish suddenly make up rules for Marathon without consultation or the approval of the UIM or anyone else for that matter?

Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 07:03 AM   #22

Interests: Offshore Powerboat Racing
Boat name: NZ Privateer
Boat make: 29ft Catamaran
Engines: 2 x Mercury 300X

having raced a cat, i'm a bit surprised at the state of the canopy of the victory cat, thought it would have stood up better.

kiwiracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 10:50 AM   #23

Interests: Boats, Cars.
Boat name: Splash 4
Boat make: Hunton
Engines: Mercruiser 640
Cruising area: Poole, Solent

Canopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiracer View Post
having raced a cat, i'm a bit surprised at the state of the canopy of the victory cat, thought it would have stood up better.
I could be wrong Kiwiracer but I think that they changed all of the canopy rules to suit side by side canopies and generally reduced the construction standards. Looks like maybe they went far too light.
Pennpromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 12:17 PM   #24
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Also, most canopies are probably great when going in fwd, but the structure might not be quite as sound going in upside-down & backwards at 100+

He appeared to have the gas wide open for a while just before it went over, so would have been moving real fast.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 12:50 PM   #25
Engine tester

Interests: Gin & Women
Boat name: motorvator
Boat make: Revenger San Marino / Sunseeker Camargue 46 / Phantom 18/19/600
Engines: 502 mercruiser / Detroit 550s / 115 ProXS / Anything Borrowed
Cruising area: Thames, Southend

Have to say I totally agree with Jon and Mike here.

The sport itself is dangerous enough without introducing machinery which due to it's design is more likely to flip than another. Whilst accepting the safety crew were unsuccessful in this instance, to have them racing in conditions where there is no possibility of rescue being within shouting distance is plain stupid.

Marathon by virtue of what it is has to keep boats at a level that the crew can manage any difficulties themselves until such extended time as help can arrive.

The death of another couple of people does absolutely nothing positive for the sport we all love.
Old 14-12-2009, 03:28 PM   #26

Fitting cats in

Unfortunately the days have gone when those 30 boat Italian fleets regularly did the rounds on the European circuit,with their OP I cats and attendant rescue facilities.I should think every major accident has been to a cat.

You may as well say,if you want to race a cat,you do it round the bay where where rescue is feasible,otherwise all other types of racing will be literally endurance style,end of.

It makes you wonder where boats like the 50ft Mystic cat with 3,700hp of lycoming turbines are heading,if they are ever used to their full potential.Going by the Key West results they were only 10mph quicker than the 42ft 1800hp Qatar boats,or is it all show and open it up on Poker runs.

At the end of the day a `Cesa 1882` should be quick enough for anyone to test their abilities in a bad sea,as opposed to an armchair ride in a 50ft cat round the bay,just waiting for a rogue wave to finish you off.
FLYING FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 03:50 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING FISH View Post
At the end of the day a `Cesa 1882` should be quick enough for anyone to test their abilities in a bad sea,as opposed to an armchair ride in a 50ft cat round the bay,just waiting for a rogue wave to finish you off.
By the way Fabio (& Cesa/Red FPT) were flying coming out of Milford Haven in the RB08 film I think you are right FF.
ML.
Old 14-12-2009, 09:46 PM   #28

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs..../1010/national
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 08:39 PM   #29

Interests: boats, chicks
Boat make: Fiart 40
Engines: 2 x D6 350
Cruising area: Med

I saw the race live via satellite on Dubai sports and it took nearly 10 minutes before the first one was taken out through the escape hatch. And it took 5 another minutes before the second was pulled out. Over all the whole scene looks very unprofessional. One guy in a swim suit was the only one in water for along long time. He was the one who pulled out the pilot through the hatch. It seems that he was despaired about that there was none other to help only the start boat and another boat but both were no rescue crews. I think the crash was not survivable also with fast and professional help. The cockpit was totally destroyd. I am no Doctor but I think they died by the tremendous impact at 209 kph.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vic1crash.jpg
Views:	639
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	22719  
Andree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 08:56 PM   #30

Not much of the cockpit left in that picture. Back to the drawing board for those boats. A very sad lesson
The drag boats in the states survive much higher speed impacts and they stay together.
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 07:05 AM   #31
numbskull

True. But remember weight plays a big part. That cockpit, re entering upside down and backwards at 100+ had a 5 ton mass keeping it going.
Anyway, i agree that the crash as was, probably wasn't survivable, as it appears many tons of water possibly entered the cockpit area (taking the cockpit roof with it on its way) and blew the foredeck off to get out. With occupants sat in the middle of that lot i would imagine death would have been instant.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Old 17-12-2009, 12:21 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andree View Post
It seems that he was despaired about that there was none other to help only the start boat and another boat but both were no rescue crews.
To me this seems shocking that the first boat there was the start boat and all they have on board is flags and the second boat also wasnt a rescue boat and that according to race officials it took 1min 20 for any sort of rescue crews to get to them. i feel this needs to be looked into and in order to race such a event there should be a certain amout of safety teams per area of race course or team also each support boat has to have atleast one crew which has medical training
RIP Mohammed al Mehairi and Jean-Marc Sanchez
my thoughts go out to both drivers family and friends
baby searider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 10:27 PM   #33

Something strange seems to be going on about this accident. All comment is being suppressed by certain P1 individuals from what I hear.

I would have thought that the UIM would have banned Class 1 racing until the accident has been fully investigated but this does not appear to be the case.

Phone calls are being made to certain journalists telling them in no uncertain terms not to comment on the accident. What on earth is going on and what are the authorities worried about that they don't want to come out or is this just another conspiracy theory.

Maybe the race teams don't want their sponsors frightened off by adverse information but hey come on, two people died here.

Has anyone got any latest info on this accident and on whether or not Class 1 will race this year?
ML.
Old 16-01-2010, 10:45 PM   #34
Engine tester

Interests: Gin & Women
Boat name: motorvator
Boat make: Revenger San Marino / Sunseeker Camargue 46 / Phantom 18/19/600
Engines: 502 mercruiser / Detroit 550s / 115 ProXS / Anything Borrowed
Cruising area: Thames, Southend

"The powerboat association said that it was investigating the crash, but the details “would not be open publicly”, according to Mr Bensalah."

http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs..../1010/national

Think that decision was made a month ago though not sure of the reasoning.

"Sid Bensalah, the secretary general of the World Professional Powerboating Association (WPPA), acknowledged that helicopters at the race were not manned with divers who could be readily deployed, as is the case at other competitions."

"Mr Bensalah, who is also the general manager of Dubai International Marine Club, the event organiser, said there was nothing wrong with the rescue attempt."
Old 17-01-2010, 01:23 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
Something strange seems to be going on about this accident. All comment is being suppressed by certain P1 individuals from what I hear.
Please excuse my ignorance here but why would P1 be supressing comment about a WPAA event?
pete60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 07:04 AM   #36
numbskull

Whilst it would obviously be nice to have helo cover, and shed loads of divers etc, in this case, I suspect the two drivers were dead before the boat stopped moving, so all the safety cover in the world would have made no difference.

Old 17-01-2010, 07:51 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete60 View Post
Please excuse my ignorance here but why would P1 be supressing comment about a WPAA event?
Can't answer that because I don't know why.

Anyway, the question must be asked, why aren't the results of the enquiry being made public?
ML.
Old 17-01-2010, 10:17 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan View Post

I would have thought that the UIM would have banned Class 1 racing until the accident has been fully investigated but this does not appear to be the case.

Phone calls are being made to certain journalists telling them in no uncertain terms not to comment on the accident. What on earth is going on and what are the authorities worried about that they don't want to come out or is this just another conspiracy theory.

Maybe the race teams don't want their sponsors frightened off by adverse information but hey come on, two people died here.

Has anyone got any latest info on this accident and on whether or not Class 1 will race this year?
ML.
You need to understand the mentality of the Middle Eastern Arabs with regard to Media and publicity Mike.

Though thinking about it, I remember witnessing a Helicoptor go down off Cowes a few years back just before the start of a race. Shelley Jory who was commentating at the time reacted perfectly normally at witnessing the incident over the broadcast. However, her fellow (and more experienced broadcaster) intervened dismissing the event and no more was heard about it that day!
Jon Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 11:29 AM   #39

Boat name: The Rock - 66
Boat make: Doug Wright 32
Engines: Merc EFI 280s
Cruising area: Middle East

[QUOTE=Jon Holmes;174704]You need to understand the mentality of the Middle Eastern Arabs with regard to Media and publicity Mike.

I find this a little strange to be honest: the WPPA have postponed Xcat until the safety report advises us of any further changes to those we already have to implement. The news is all over the Middle Eastern papers off and online. The crash went out on France 24 amongst other places for obvious reasons.

I may be naive of course but I am sure nobody wants to see this happen again and the whole industry has to learn from it. This year has resulted in too many deaths to be sure.

Racing a boat at high speed is fundamentally risky. I remember in Lowestoft Honda in 08 when Nathan Libby was thrown out of the Negotiator boat (on my wake of course:-) and how close he was to living our worst nightmare. He was lucky.

The sport has to minimise risk as they have in F1 cars using technology, enhanced safety and anything really to reduce such risk.

Always there is the exploration for blame. When JMS was sat chatting to me only 7 weeks before, he clearly despised the politics taking place in Class 1, felt passionate about the sport, and was obviously loyal to his team. The best thing we can do in his memory and the others is learn, is lobby generally for safety improvement: like not electing to send out Honda racers in dreadful conditions like Sept 08 for example...on the basis of three driver's votes who were chasing for podium???

Let's clean up our own act before we start shining the torch on the Middle East that has invested huge amounts in our sport.

We can all cite examples of dangerous things which could be avoided but the problem is quite often that nobody wants to listen to the views of the medical man. I once saw the medical officer being over-ruled by the safety officer and all because the Class Rep, who likes rough water, felt it was good to go.

But as a fair weather racer I invite ultimate criticism for that one
Scream-it.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 11:59 AM   #40

Boat name: snow monkey
Boat make: extreme 24
Engines: mercruiser 6.2

i was under the impression that more accidents happen in the calm than the rough

Carl is offline   Reply With Quote