Boat name: cider daze
Boat make: cougar 28
Engines: 200 xs
Cruising area: Devon

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorvator View Post
Ok, Great let's post some screenshots.

Let me give you a scenario.

You have decided to run a powerboat race. (You being personally or your club or organisation)

To achieve this you will have a list of people as long as your arm to satisfy prior to being allowed to stage your event.

A sample of these will be Environmental groups, Coastal Agencies, Harbour Authorities, Local Councillors, Coastguards, Fisheries, Windfarm Contractors, Local Sailing Groups etc etc. This is all aside of satisfying the various factions of the RYA and insurers.

The majority of the above will have been issued with the latest MAIB report as a matter of course.

Now, out of those possibly 40 odd people that you are going to contact, it is a fairly safe bet that at least a small proportion of them don't share your enthusiasm for burning shedloads of fuel and destroying the planet whilst running at speeds in excess of 20 times that which Stevenson's Rocket was capable of and that at least was on rails and had a chap with a flag walking ahead.

You know the sort?

Well in this scenario I am that person and I've decided that between planting vegetables and protesting the latest building development down the road, I still have plenty of time to put my oar in on this one. I know I'll do a bit of research on my laptop driven by a hand wound generator.

WOW - Google, this is great - copy all.

You are now asked what you are doing to reduce all these risks and your answer will be:

Well as for screen grabs i think i would have been the one in question (red circle).

But in all the yrs racing in the series this was the only time i felt in danger, the closeness of the racing was what made it so good, if you are going to make racing so legislated that it becomes a parade, well whats the point.

so how long have you been racing

because i dont want to i like racing to much

its not unsafe at all

I may be completely wrong, but wasn't the four boat incident from the Isle of Man in 2008, which would make it two years BEFORE the 2010 rules.....

Just remember,
That little white Honda boat shown in that film your all slaging there driving, Beat all the 2 litre boats by a long way in the Cowes Poole Cowes last year,

That should show 'em. Now to the question.

At what point in the future do you expect to receive your approval to put your race on?

cider daze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:32 PM   #42
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Think ya might be wasting ya time, energy & intelligence Kerry.

The Honda boys know it all.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:47 PM   #43
Engine tester

Interests: Gin & Women
Boat name: motorvator
Boat make: Revenger San Marino / Sunseeker Camargue 46 / Phantom 18/19/600
Engines: 502 mercruiser / Detroit 550s / 115 ProXS / Anything Borrowed
Cruising area: Thames, Southend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
Think ya might be wasting ya time, energy & intelligence Kerry.

The Honda boys know it all.
Thing is Jon, having seen Barries' recent efforts, you're right it will in future waste yours, mine and anyone else's time in trying to get a race / rally / poker run approved and the best these smartarses can do is roll their eyes.

My bet is that they'll be the first in line whinging that there's no races being put on or that the rules are too many too.

I'm all for free speech and live and let live, but don't you just occasionally find yourself laying awake at night thinking about guns and the good they could do
Old 08-07-2010, 07:52 PM   #44
numbskull

Quote:
I'm all for free speech and live and let live, but don't you just occasionally find yourself laying awake at night thinking about guns and the good they could do
Doesn't need guns. Just an authority that removes a licence from someone who drives like an arse, or can't drive at all. easy.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Old 08-07-2010, 08:09 PM   #45
Engine tester

Interests: Gin & Women
Boat name: motorvator
Boat make: Revenger San Marino / Sunseeker Camargue 46 / Phantom 18/19/600
Engines: 502 mercruiser / Detroit 550s / 115 ProXS / Anything Borrowed
Cruising area: Thames, Southend

Quote:
Doesn't need guns. Just an authority that removes a licence from someone who drives like an arse, or can't drive at all. easy.
Cor you and your logic.

I'll have you know that over 4000 licences have been issued in the last three years and not one has needed to be suspended or withdrawn. So therefore the sport is inherently safe you fool

QED as they say
Old 08-07-2010, 08:17 PM   #46

Interests: Enduro, Rugby and of course Powerboats
Boat name: Dreamcatcher
Boat make: Extreme/Ring 21
Engines: Honda 150
Cruising area: Salcombe south devon

Im just voicing my thoughts on what was being discussed here. Normally i leave everyone to it, there minds are already made up. But since it was me as the topic, i said something............. Wish i never had.
Anyway my point is, this was a moment i would never want to go through again, but the racing in general - long may it continue.
jonny12t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:54 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by team williams 150 View Post

Dowdys comment

"Dont be too hard on him John,he is only 16 and a first season rookie,trying to follow in his dads and grandads powerboat racing shoes,we should encourage the lad.Hows it hangin Dale?Your drivers busted leg mended yet?"

Taking into account dowdys post regarding your age and experience, I am going to apologise for my sarcastic post and try and take a different line on this.

I have absolutely no boat racing experience what so ever other than a spectator, although I have been involved in pleasure boating since the age of 14 some 34 years ago. I am three times your age have something offer you called life experience.

When I was 16 I bought a moped, going back to 1978 there was no 30mph restriction on them. We used to tinker, tune and play with them and I think the best I got 56mph laying flat across the in a T shirt, jeans, trainers and a polycarbonate helmet, I though I was the bee's knees, I rode like a f*****g idiot. It was because a had little life experience and did not know any better. A few months later a friend of mine cut across the front of a car approaching a junction, slid on some gravel and went under the car as it was moving. I took firemen over an hour to get him out from under the car. After coming out of a coma he made a good recovery other than his left arm was and still is paralysed from the shoulder down and because of the muscle wastage it dangles like a 5cm piece of rope to this day. At 21 a friend of mine was racing in a junior class boat in London dockland, hit the wake of another boat, was throne out of the boat as it rolled over and the prop chopped his right arm off a few inches from the shoulder, in those days they did not have the knowledge to sew it back on. At 25 a friend of mine was taking an car for MOT down a country lane, went round a corner not at speed and lost control the rear end on wet leaves. Went sideways into the rear corner of a stationary dust cart. The centre of the driver door struck rear corner and he was killed outright from head injuries. I have also had friends killed on motor cycles, no other cars involved and to this no one know why. I have also personally witnessed two people dying in organised drag racing accidents.

The point I am trying to make to you is this human skeleton that we inhabit was never designed to go faster that human running speed and life itself is very fragile. Any form of motor sport is dangerous and if it wasn’t we properly wouldn’t do it. The boat you drive whether for pleasure or racing can be a lethal weapon to yourself and others. So treat it with respect, enjoy your racing. Don’t take unnecessary risks and as if you crash you won’t win anyway.

Finally this only my opinion but don’t spend 10 grand on your boat and £50 on a polycarbonate helmet, you head is worth a lot more than that.

Enjoy your racing

David
PerformanceDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:24 PM   #48
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy21 View Post
don’t spend 10 grand on your boat and £50 on a polycarbonate helmet, you head is worth a lot more than that.
I aint so sure.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:10 PM   #49
MrG

Interests: Photography

Quote:
Ok, Great let's post some screenshots.

Let me give you a scenario.

You have decided to run a powerboat race. (You being personally or your club or organisation)

To achieve this you will have a list of people as long as your arm to satisfy prior to being allowed to stage your event.

A sample of these will be Environmental groups, Coastal Agencies, Harbour Authorities, Local Councillors, Coastguards, Fisheries, Windfarm Contractors, Local Sailing Groups etc etc. This is all aside of satisfying the various factions of the RYA and insurers.

The majority of the above will have been issued with the latest MAIB report as a matter of course.

Now, out of those possibly 40 odd people that you are going to contact, it is a fairly safe bet that at least a small proportion of them don't share your enthusiasm for burning shedloads of fuel and destroying the planet whilst running at speeds in excess of 20 times that which Stevenson's Rocket was capable of and that at least was on rails and had a chap with a flag walking ahead.

You know the sort?

Well in this scenario I am that person and I've decided that between planting vegetables and protesting the latest building development down the road, I still have plenty of time to put my oar in on this one. I know I'll do a bit of research on my laptop driven by a hand wound generator.

WOW - Google, this is great - copy all.

You are now asked what you are doing to reduce all these risks and your answer will be:

Well as for screen grabs i think i would have been the one in question (red circle).

But in all the yrs racing in the series this was the only time i felt in danger, the closeness of the racing was what made it so good, if you are going to make racing so legislated that it becomes a parade, well whats the point.

because i dont want to i like racing to much

its not unsafe at all

I may be completely wrong, but wasn't the four boat incident from the Isle of Man in 2008, which would make it two years BEFORE the 2010 rules.....

Just remember,
That little white Honda boat shown in that film your all slaging there driving, Beat all the 2 litre boats by a long way in the Cowes Poole Cowes last year,

That should show 'em. Now to the question.

At what point in the future do you expect to receive your approval to put your race on?

Wow, all that typing and you don't appear to have indicated what your point is!

Surely asking questions of the race organisers and the people responsible for safety would be a better option than googling random quotations from anonymous internet users.....

How about these quotes :

'Overtrimmed and out of control'

'When in doubt, trim out'.
MrG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:11 PM   #50
MrG

Quote:
Correct.
Old 13-07-2010, 06:32 AM   #51
Aged Member

Boat name: Savannah
Boat make: Princess 415
Engines: Volvos
Cruising area: SOLENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post

'Overtrimmed and out of control'
I wrote that....and I'm not anonymous........(see name)
Old 13-07-2010, 03:21 PM   #52
MrG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVE View Post
I wrote that....and I'm not anonymous........(see name)
And I completely agree with your sentiments, however they don't sit that well with the poster who has the other quote as their signature....

On the Innernetz, everyone is anonymous aren't they?
Old 13-07-2010, 09:44 PM   #53

Boat name: The Rock - 66
Boat make: Doug Wright 32
Engines: Merc EFI 280s
Cruising area: Middle East

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy21 View Post
Are you referring to the 225's power being increase to 300hp. A 33% increase in power making them now in excess of 80mph. Despite the reduction in engine weight of 40Kg not convinced that this is going to stop the rolling over, especially with an increase in top speed of 10mph.
The lighter engine is bound to reduce the potential of roll. I have a theory that is that the roll is emphasised by the strength of the navigator; if he or she holds on the boat will go over with the extra momentum......

Also you need to know how to drive the things of course and where the edge is..

Can't see the vid (Facebook is for creepy people) but Mr G sounds right on with the Isle of Man 08. Guys and gals...did you see Mark Webber's crash...? did you see Webber and Vettel blow one another out?

Have you ever taken to skis off piste in French Alps?

Have you ever done a two handed sail in a blow across the Bay of Biscay?

Have you ever driven angrily in a car cos a guy cut you up or had a near miss with loss of concentration or fatigue?

This place often sounds like one big PC place...

Guesss what? IT'S A DANGEROUS SPORT EVERYBODY doh!!!! It's why circuit racers do it...for the adrenalin buzz. Or what's the point? If you don't like it then go buy a cabin cruiser and sit in a marina on Sundays getting over the hefty MDL lunch. It is only because Honda televised it that anyone notices in reality.

NOW the constructuve bit:

There needs to be a proper technical director in the sport. WPPA have learnt the hard way and are now tough on teams and safety in construction. Patrick and Paul go through each and every boat in Xcat and make us change things for safety reasons. We have one to one meetings and are given time limits to correct anticipated risks.

Sorry for the long one Brian and Co :-) but if I hear the knocking of Honda again for trying to promote the sport it makes me want to scream and yawn after ...the sad thing is Honda now sponsor the safe and sound Channel 4 everything and have left the Honda people to their own devices!

They should have bought bloody Volvo to emphasise their love for the community!

A central Technical Director would be a good start with consultants who know what they are doing. The path to safety is continuous development and strong leadership. Accidents like the 150s in the Isle of Man are bound to happen . As they do in Yacht Racing around the cans at 8 knots!!!

Scream-it.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 08:30 AM   #54

Interests: Yodelling
Boat name: Veni Vidi Vici or Conked
Boat make: G.P.14
Engines: 4h.p. Mercury
Cruising area: Cap de Agde

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post
And I completely agree with your sentiments, however they don't sit that well with the poster who has the other quote as their signature....

On the Innernetz, everyone is anonymous aren't they?
Aint anonomous either,where i come from we always trim out,maybe down south they dont,to scared to,come on lets have a row,got nowt on till saturday.
Old 14-07-2010, 08:35 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scream-it.com View Post
The lighter engine is bound to reduce the potential of roll. I have a theory that is that the roll is emphasised by the strength of the navigator; if he or she holds on the boat will go over with the extra momentum......

Also you need to know how to drive the things of course and where the edge is..

Can't see the vid (Facebook is for creepy people) but Mr G sounds right on with the Isle of Man 08. Guys and gals...did you see Mark Webber's crash...? did you see Webber and Vettel blow one another out?

Have you ever taken to skis off piste in French Alps?

Have you ever done a two handed sail in a blow across the Bay of Biscay?

Have you ever driven angrily in a car cos a guy cut you up or had a near miss with loss of concentration or fatigue?

This place often sounds like one big PC place...

Guesss what? IT'S A DANGEROUS SPORT EVERYBODY doh!!!! It's why circuit racers do it...for the adrenalin buzz. Or what's the point? If you don't like it then go buy a cabin cruiser and sit in a marina on Sundays getting over the hefty MDL lunch. It is only because Honda televised it that anyone notices in reality.

NOW the constructuve bit:

There needs to be a proper technical director in the sport. WPPA have learnt the hard way and are now tough on teams and safety in construction. Patrick and Paul go through each and every boat in Xcat and make us change things for safety reasons. We have one to one meetings and are given time limits to correct anticipated risks.

Sorry for the long one Brian and Co :-) but if I hear the knocking of Honda again for trying to promote the sport it makes me want to scream and yawn after ...the sad thing is Honda now sponsor the safe and sound Channel 4 everything and have left the Honda people to their own devices!

They should have bought bloody Volvo to emphasise their love for the community!

A central Technical Director would be a good start with consultants who know what they are doing. The path to safety is continuous development and strong leadership. Accidents like the 150s in the Isle of Man are bound to happen . As they do in Yacht Racing around the cans at 8 knots!!!

Ere Ere,you can get blinded playing tiddlywinks,wot is it with these people?Are they real?
Old 14-07-2010, 08:46 AM   #56
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowdy View Post
where i come from we always trim out, maybe down south they don't, to scared to
That's it, we're all shit scared.

When are we gonna see you in Marathon, demonstrating this 'no fear' driving technique?
C'mon, show us all how to trim and the advantages of blindly trimming out coz you're unsure what else to do.

Talk is easy.

Old 14-07-2010, 09:17 AM   #57
Aged Member

Boat name: Savannah
Boat make: Princess 415
Engines: Volvos
Cruising area: SOLENT

Quote:

When are we gonna see you in Marathon, demonstrating this 'no fear' driving technique?
C'mon, show us all how to trim and the advantages of blindly trimming out coz you're unsure what else to do.

Talk is easy.
We dont like goin to fast down here...spills the gin and tonics.....
Old 14-07-2010, 09:28 AM   #58

Interests: PowerBoat Racing
Boat name: If Only
Boat make: Bernico F3 OCR, Bernico Prototype Inboard, and some Ribs
Engines: Yamaha Pro V 115
Cruising area: UK, France

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVE View Post
We dont like goin to fast down here...spills the gin and tonics.....
here, here !! Leave that goin fast stuff to the young'uns !!
Old 14-07-2010, 09:28 AM   #59

Quote:

Talk is easy.
Knew that comment would drag you out,John,i would love to do Marathon,its definately the way to go and a lot safer,going back to the trim in/out issue,youre all at muster,flag goes up to line up behind the start boat,revs are going up,engines are trimming up,arse is twitching,everybody is getting a bit to close for comfort,the flag is taking an age to drop,your heartbeat is off the scale,then wallop,off we all go,cant see anything because of all the roosters everywhere,codriver screamin STRAIGHT STRAIGHT STRAIGHT,OUT OUT OUT,seconds later when we can actually see whats going on it pans out we are lying 3rd,out of 20 odd boats at the start,Dave Wellstead in NorthEast Watersports 1st,another geordie boy in another p18 2nd ahead of us,trimmed out to the max and going for it,we left the engine where it was for virtually the whole race,you had to or you got nowhere,if you didnt trim out you didnt go,i can remember one of your posts onceDRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT, i always did and i loved it,the Allison i used to run later turned on a tanner even trimmed right out,used to scare the shit outta me,like i say ,i loved it ,still do,you dont jump into a F40 and tootle round at 30 do you?
Old 14-07-2010, 09:38 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCRDA View Post
here, here !! Leave that goin fast stuff to the young'uns !!
I was a youngun once,not now though,knockin 60 now but still like a good blast round Caernarvon Bay and yes still TRIMMED OUT and i aint dead yet.