Boatmad.com

Old 22-07-2010, 09:53 PM   #21

Interests: Boats , bikes!
Boat name: Renegade
Boat make: GPV-RENEGADE
Engines: 150 HO etec
Cruising area: Thames, south coast, anywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
Without a single prop policy in the new Superstock series the boats would be going a lot faster than they already are with 300XS's - of course if they had 200XS's it wouldn't be a problem!
Touché! See where where coming from, but is speed really a problem if the boats handle well? Good luck with your boat.

Old 23-07-2010, 01:33 AM   #22

Interests: Powerboat Racing
Boat name: Team Purple, Team Shark
Boat make: Sperstock 150, 300 race boats, Class 3s cat
Engines: Honda 150, 2.5 efi ROS*2
Cruising area: Solent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scream-it.com View Post
Going faster than what Cookie? Rumour has it the 300s have a little 'safe mode problem' and your local boat has a little problem in finishing? One knowledgeable person said in Perfwelliiiiiiiii a Honda engine would have won in the rough!

Rich, I think your looking through Rose tinted glasses on the 225 honda, yes a very good "engine" - bombproof.... Would never hesitate to put on a leisure boat. However if you were having to pay for the mount replacements yourself after every race and not under warranty all the time, I think the overall view of the engine would have been very different.

I now mow my lawn with a briggs and stratton, As Honda sponsor some crap TV show i can't connect with....

As for the 300xs, can only talk from my experience - love it.......

The Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 08:07 AM   #23
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
Touché! See where where coming from, but is speed really a problem if the boats handle well? Good luck with your boat.
I believe that instead of reaching barely 80mph they would be heading towards 90mph with an open prop policy and if someone thought that would be a good idea they wouldn't have a prop policy!

There are a lot of reasons for XS's to go into safe mode and the Class III fleet could tell them a lot (I gave them a few tips when I went to the launch but I'm not sure they were listening!)

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 08:38 AM   #24

Interests: Boats , bikes!
Boat name: Renegade
Boat make: GPV-RENEGADE
Engines: 150 HO etec
Cruising area: Thames, south coast, anywhere!

Quote:
I believe that instead of reaching barely 80mph they would be heading towards 90mph with an open prop policy and if someone thought that would be a good idea they wouldn't have a prop policy!

There are a lot of reasons for XS's to go into safe mode and the Class III fleet could tell them a lot (I gave them a few tips when I went to the launch but I'm not sure they were listening!)
Fair enough then. I think prop regulating is a bad way of trying to regulate speed, as handling is important to safety, in my opinion and those boats clearly don't handle that well. As you say 200's would have been better in more ways than one.
Old 23-07-2010, 09:15 AM   #25

Boat name: The Rock - 66
Boat make: Doug Wright 32
Engines: Merc EFI 280s
Cruising area: Middle East

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Force View Post
Rich, I think your looking through Rose tinted glasses on the 225 honda, yes a very good "engine" - bombproof.... Would never hesitate to put on a leisure boat. However if you were having to pay for the mount replacements yourself after every race and not under warranty all the time, I think the overall view of the engine would have been very different.

I now mow my lawn with a briggs and stratton, As Honda sponsor some crap TV show i can't connect with....

As for the 300xs, can only talk from my experience - love it.......
Sorry old bean not going to progress knocking Superstock...but surely engine capability isn't just about top end iis it...surely it is about perfromance across the range of uses. How many people finished at full stretch in Wales? BUT...perhaps the limitation is a positive effect rather than a pile of broken boats and people like me in Hospital like the Isle of Mann 08?

But but I bet you would love Xcat more...against 21 boats (in a recession) instead of 5!

And getting money for it?
Scream-it.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 04:35 PM   #26

Interests: Powerboat Racing
Boat name: Team Purple, Team Shark
Boat make: Sperstock 150, 300 race boats, Class 3s cat
Engines: Honda 150, 2.5 efi ROS*2
Cruising area: Solent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scream-it.com View Post

But but I bet you would love Xcat more...against 21 boats (in a recession) instead of 5!

And getting money for it?
Oh yeah I would , and plans still afoot, but waiting till I move over there... just a timing thing - as for the 300xs, its not a top speed thing, it just seems to be a better overall package, the low down and mid range grunt and instant engine response seem to make the boat much more driveable, you probably get the idea, not disimilar to the 280's you have on the Xcat - chalk and cheese. Would still choose the Honda for anything leisure orientated (my retirement rib) , fuel economy, quiet and smooth... very smooth
The Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 05:28 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Force View Post
Oh yeah I would , and plans still afoot, but waiting till I move over there... just a timing thing - as for the 300xs, its not a top speed thing, it just seems to be a better overall package, the low down and mid range grunt and instant engine response seem to make the boat much more driveable, you probably get the idea, not disimilar to the 280's you have on the Xcat - chalk and cheese. Would still choose the Honda for anything leisure orientated (my retirement rib) , fuel economy, quiet and smooth... very smooth
How many went into safe mode out of the 6? And as for Honda...god you lot have got short memories!

After all that money and support piled in by Honda....don't get me on the subject mate as I have little respect as it is for the people who were bought out by Asif and especially those bought out by Steve!!!
Old 26-07-2010, 10:35 AM   #28
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Thought this might be appropriate to this thread .................

Rules are Rules!

The Good news:
It was a normal day in Sharon Springs Kansas, when a Union Pacific crew boarded a loaded coal train for the long trek to Salina.

The Bad news:
Just a few miles into the trip a wheel bearing became overheated and melted, letting a metal support drop down and grind on the rail, creating white hot molten metal droppings spewing down to the rail.

The Good news:
A very alert crew noticed smoke about halfway back in the train and immediately stopped the train in compliance with the rules.

The Bad news:
The train stopped with the hot wheel over a wooden bridge with creosote ties and trusses.

The crew tried to explain to higher-ups but were instructed not to move the train!

They were instructed Rules prohibit moving the train when a part is defective!

REMEMBER, RULES are RULES!
(Don't ever let common sense get in the way of a good disaster!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1 copy.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	25468   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-2 copy.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	25469   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-3 copy.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	25470   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-4 copy.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	25471  

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 04:00 PM   #29

Interests: Spreading the good word about boats with toobs

Quote:

Rules are Rules!

<SNIP
Genuine incident - the train setting the bridge on fire, but the story on the rules preventing it being moved is a myth. http://www.snopes.com/photos/accident/trainfire.asp
Atlantic Xpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 08:08 AM   #30

Quote:

Rules are Rules!

The Good news:
It was a normal day in Sharon Springs Kansas, when a Union Pacific crew boarded a loaded coal train for the long trek to Salina.

The Bad news:
Just a few miles into the trip a wheel bearing became overheated and melted, letting a metal support drop down and grind on the rail, creating white hot molten metal droppings spewing down to the rail.

The Good news:
A very alert crew noticed smoke about halfway back in the train and immediately stopped the train in compliance with the rules.

The Bad news:
The train stopped with the hot wheel over a wooden bridge with creosote ties and trusses.

The crew tried to explain to higher-ups but were instructed not to move the train!

They were instructed Rules prohibit moving the train when a part is defective!

REMEMBER, RULES are RULES!
(Don't ever let common sense get in the way of a good disaster!)
There you see... that is the perfect example and good reason for all the technical skills to come together in order to improve safety...rules in venue, rules in construction, rules in usage and so on...

There is nothing wrong with rules as long as the industry agrees with them collectively.

Now a prime example in Plymouth: David Mackay designs a blueprint for the City. The Council decides to take out a subway underneath the dual carriageway called Royal Parade. A couple of years later an old lady gets killed by a driver on the new road crossing above it...now was the City made accountable for that? Was the person who signed that off done for manslaughter...of course not. I wonder what happened to the driver?

A class example of a small group of people following a plan without using common sense!

So why can we not have proper technical direction and professionalise the sport? Like they do in F1?