Boatmad.com

Old 26-09-2007, 12:30 AM   #1

1st National Race of Malta

Took place last weekend, many thanks go to the RYA who ran the race & to the international experienced drivers who volunteered their time, free of charge to allow the event to happen & coach the novice drivers.

Thanks also to the MTA & all other sponsors who made this event possible.

The event has led to over 35 boat owners, wanting their boats to be made or adapted, so to pass RYA scutineering.

A big thanks to the UIM for negating their 580Euro charge....way to go in promoting our sport.

Pictures to follow if alowed.

Thanks all concerned...especially Voom Voom racing for supplying racing life jackets for all the local drivers.

beachaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 12:32 AM   #2
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachaven View Post
Pictures to follow if alowed.

Paul, this is NOT a Ch****on gallery, so forget it.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 12:39 AM   #3

Re: Paul...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Private messaged by beachaven
Jon, forgetting personal rubbish...this event was to promote pb racing...full stop....Do u want this or not?

What I 'want' Paul, is for you to get the message that you're not welcome here. You never were and never will be.

Is that clear enough with respect to 'what I want'?

u make your point clear.............bye
beachaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 09:24 AM   #4

Interests: Powerboat Racing and F1
Boat name: Fugazi II
Boat make: Phantom 18
Engines: Mercury 150
Cruising area: AYC

So he is back after bidding fair well earlier this year !!!

Are you sure he has not got shares in that wonky boat builder ???
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 09:32 AM   #5

Interests: PowerBoat Racing
Boat name: If Only
Boat make: Bernico F3 OCR, Bernico Prototype Inboard, and some Ribs
Engines: Yamaha Pro V 115
Cruising area: UK, France

Rumour is that this was a really good event, can only be good for the sport !!

We would be more than happy to run a link on our site !!

Well Done

Bob
Old 26-09-2007, 09:54 AM   #6

Interests: boats
Boat make: new boat on way
Cruising area: uk

There will be a full report and pics on this event on the Hotboats site very soon
flightracingteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 10:03 AM   #7

Boat make: Ring 25 Sportscruiser
Engines: Mercruiser 496 HO
Cruising area: Solent

It certainly was an excellent event. Weather was great, people really friendly, and organisation from RYA representatives first class.
GrahamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 10:32 AM   #8
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
So he is back after bidding fair well earlier this year !!!

Are you sure he has not got shares in that wonky boat builder ???
Yes, well, no.

He 'was' back, presumably this was initially as a mouthpiece/glove puppet for the olive coloured dwarf to gripe about Mike & Jackie. However, as usual, Paul was unable to resist an attempt at trying to appear clever/funny, neither of which come naturaly to him, nor suit him. So once again, he's left the building....(until next time)

He may well have shares in the chuffer brand, dunno, and really couldn't care less.

And to be perfectly honest, all this talk of a race thousands of miles away being good for our sport confuses me, as there are dozens of races every weekend in countries far closer and of more relevance that don't get a mention.

As the RYA seem so keen to get involved with foriegn races as an event organiser, maybe it should be suggested to them that charity starts at home and before jetting off to distant third world rocks on 'jollies', they should get things sorted HERE AT HOME where powerboat racing is, just in case they hadn't noticed, a tad quiet.

Re: OCRDA & Hotboats responses.....good for you.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Old 26-09-2007, 02:50 PM   #9
CB1

Not much else going on on the hotboat site is there????? lol
CB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 07:21 PM   #10

Hi Chris

You know how much i enjoy our banter it brightens my days.

No there is not a lot on the Hotboat site at the moment been just a tad busy with other bits and pieces. Will however be writing some bits about Malta and posting some pics on the site.

Good luck to you all this weekend

Kind regards

Denise
Old 26-09-2007, 08:23 PM   #11

Well, well, well. Giving GB Licences to foreign nationals who are banned by their own NA & UIM and now this.
Makes one proud to be an RYA Member and Official (sorry, that's total bollocks).

Still not bitter resentment.
Safety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 08:30 PM   #12

Interests: boats...?
Boat make: Twister 24
Engines: Yamaha 200 V-MAX HPDI
Cruising area: Never cruise, only race

Just love love you guy´s, you´r all so possitive!

Let´s do something constructive instead, like go racing...Why is there so fue people racing in GB, it´s a big nation. There are more raceboats in Sweden, and here´s less people than in London...
What´s the difference?
Just don´t understand...
SMS Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 08:45 PM   #13
CB1

Thanks Denise, you know I love you all, well nearly all!!! Look foward to your report from malta. Who was ood, safety etc?
Old 26-09-2007, 08:51 PM   #14
CB1

SMS, the difference between here and most other European nations is the cost!!! We have taken a look at racing the FIM series and recon that before we start the season we would be £2000.00 better off. The cost of a Italian international licence is £140.00, in the UK £460.00. What with the cheap petrol and monies for accom at each race and did I mention NO ENTRY FEES, it makes sence to race there. They have 16 boats in their fleet, we have 5. Ramsgate - Riminni, no contest sorry. And flights are very cheap if you book in advance.
Old 27-09-2007, 01:13 PM   #15
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

I promised myself I wasn't going to get into this discussion so I won't, but in true Boatmad tradition I have been asked to pass on a statement from the "official" side of things -

Hi Cookee

Predictably John Fuller is having a go at the RYA following Malta, as a regular contributor on this site perhaps you might like to post some comments. I have made some comments below.

As you know this event did not cost the RYA or the sport anything being funded by the Maltese govt, in addition the RYA charged for licences and insurance which brought new funds into UK powerboat racing to the tune of some £700. A new club is now being formed in the region affiliated to the RYA again bringing new funds to the UK sport. RYA powerboat racing will running further races under our guidance and in conjunction with the Maltese during 2008 which again will bring more funds into RYA Powerboat racing and the sport in general. Mr Fuller has conveniently chosen to ignore all of these benefits and persists in complaining about the RYA but that's nothing new, all of these new funds will help the RYA to hold down the cost of racing in the UK and the RYA despite criticisms will continue to do everything possible to achieve this and thereby promote cheaper racing in the UK.

It is also highly likely that the Maltese organisers will invite UK teams to compete in future races in much the same way in which the racing was promoted in Gibraltar. This will be very good for UK powerboat racing and again the RYA will encourage this in every possible way. Perhaps Mr Fuller should support some of the races instead of being so critical of the RYA and many of its volunteers who give so freely of their time.

John

The above statement does not reflect any opinion held by me, and is only posted here to give "the other side".

For the record the boat owners involved were an enthusiastic bunch and totally unaware of the controversy involved in thier hulls and all had a great time! We had a tour of the factory and even saw a cat which was made from moulds loaned by Clive Curtis to you know who (it even has Cougar written down the side!). These moulds then went to Turkey to make the new Honda cat allegedly. Unfortunately the bottom had blown out of it - either after being struck or from abuse - not sure which!

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2007, 02:07 PM   #16
numbskull

How very pretty!

The only reason puddifoot is interested in holding anything 'down' is to ensure his continued paycheque.

I would add that if he or anyone in the RYA wish to contribute in any way to the disscusions on this site, in future he should do so himself, instead of finding a suitable, soft, glove puppet to do it for him like some Wizzard of Ozz character.

The comments, presumebly from John Puddifoot, name me singularly as a persistant heckler of the RYA, had he named everyone within and from the fringes of powerboating who feel the same as I, the post would have been refused by the system for breaking out of the alloted word count!

For the record, I complain 'persistantly' because I see you as crooked and wastefull (steering rule making in YOUR direction) and you (JP) shouldn't be allowed to race in any capacity as long as you have a controling part in the sport. The Round Britain rules are a perfect example of why!
I now see you're involved with the RB commitee too! perfic.

Years ago, clubs like UKOBA didn't allow officials to race, or hold a licence. The reasons why are obvious! So how can it be that someone who virtually controls the national authority is allowed to compete?? It's a recipe for disaster...oh hang on, were having one of those already.

In conclusion John, I can assure you I'm far from alone in my critisism not so much of the RYA as a body, but of you. If you wish to escalate this thread, I have a shed load of stuff I'd like off my chest, but have thought better of posting previously. Just say the word, and we'll get that washing out on the line.

Smell the flowers for christs sake.

Old 27-09-2007, 03:48 PM   #17
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2007, 03:59 PM   #18
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
Sorry John, I know you were just the messenger.

I'm sick of JPs high and mighty attitude, and if he wants everyones feelings out in the open, he can have it, he's only got to ask. (and I'm not just talking about competitors!!)

Old 27-09-2007, 04:22 PM   #19

Jon

I know that this thread is about Malta, agree or disagree with it the event was very good.

I can see that you personally have a lot of things that you want to get off your chest so to speak and to be honest without getting into a slagging match. I would very much like to know what you have to say, but my questions for you are.

What do you think needs to be done to get the sport back where it should be and increase the numbers of boats on the water For all the classes, and how would you propose to increase public awareness of the sport.

I notice that One of the comments was about Hotboats we did everything we could to make the series work in the UK. It didnt work nobody wanted to know and then in the next breath people ask why we can not do a malta in the UK ( Not getting into debate about the boats used) well we tried we weren't perfect and lessons were learnt. In all honesty i would love to see Hotboats and all the other class's with so many boats they didn't know what to do with them.

This is not a defence of the RYA it is a genuine request for your views as you obviously love the sport and i am sure amonst all the negitive thoughts there will be some positive Ones

Regards

Denise
Old 27-09-2007, 04:25 PM   #20
CB1

So which UK club did these new members join to gain their licences, Hotboats Assoc by any chance?