Boatmad.com

Old 30-09-2010, 10:46 PM   #1

2011 National Marathon series

All powerboat clubs will be meeting on 30th October to discuss the format and dates of the races in 2011. With the small number of boats in most classes it has become unrealistic for the clubs to run lots of races attended by so few.

The meeting is to discuss a proposal that each club will host one race each with all classes in attendance.... making approx 5-6 races in 2011, clubs may decide to run local 'basic' races inbetween.

ORDA have offered to run the 2011 National Marathon series that would take place within this format, providing a course & league postions/points on a dedicated Marathon website after each race.

Currently the proposed race venues are

Harwich (SEPA)
Torquay (ORDA)
Plymouth (OCRDA)
Poole (RMYC)
Weymouth (Ukoba)
Cowes (BPRC)

Clearly these venues will only be part of the ORDA Marathon series if all clubs can agree to run multi class events.

It is great to see a club step forward and be prepared to give Marathon racing a structure and a 'series' that we can all compete inside

I have been invited to the meeting on 30th October as a Marathon representative for the racers, I have already discussed this series with a number of you and I am encouraged by the response, if anybody wishes to have an input before the mtg please email me..... (My email is on the RB11 website.... www.roundbritainrace.co.uk)

Looking forward to hearing from you

ATB

Goinglean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:34 AM   #2

Interests: Powerboats,Commentating, Bikes
Boat make: None at the moment
Cruising area: Wherever I can get a ride !

Smile 2011 Nat'l Marathon Series

This sounds a most positive move, & I personally feel encouraged by a club (ORDA) taking responsibility for running the series, & presumably admin. of points, etc.
What is location of the meeting at the end of this month - Drivers ?

Martin The Talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:18 PM   #3
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Looking at the support for races other than Round Britain and Cowes I wonder if the class and enthusiasm are up to a full Championship yet? It would be fantastic if it would be well enough supported, but I think it would prove to be very valuable to canvas opinion of the current racers first.

I know Gordon would enter!

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:21 PM   #4
blind dog

Interests: fast
Boat name: drivers dry berthing
Boat make: buzzi
Cruising area: anywhere fast

2011 marathon series

sounds a positive move for sure,is this meeting open to other clubs.ifso drivers powerboat club would be interested too
blind dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:42 PM   #5

Interests: Boats , bikes!
Boat name: Renegade
Boat make: GPV-RENEGADE
Engines: 150 HO etec
Cruising area: Thames, south coast, anywhere!

is this club reps only or can anyone sit in on the meeting?
Old 01-10-2010, 10:48 PM   #6

Currently as I understand it this meeting is only for Race Club representatives who have already recieved their invite

The clubs that have been invited are the clubs that currently arrange the races in the UK

PS..... I have already canvassed support for the series & the majority of the people that are out there currently racing marathon support the idea, it is clear that six races & RB11 in one year may be too much but this will get discussed/ironed out at the meeting

Thanks for the feedback & phone calls I have had so far

It will all be going with me to the meeting
Goinglean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinglean View Post
All powerboat clubs will be meeting on 30th October to discuss the format and dates of the races in 2011. With the small number of boats in most classes it has become unrealistic for the clubs to run lots of races attended by so few.

The meeting is to discuss a proposal that each club will host one race each with all classes in attendance.... making approx 5-6 races in 2011, clubs may decide to run local 'basic' races inbetween.

ORDA have offered to run the 2011 National Marathon series that would take place within this format, providing a course & league postions/points on a dedicated Marathon website after each race.

Currently the proposed race venues are

Harwich (SEPA)
Torquay (ORDA)
Plymouth (OCRDA)
Poole (RMYC)
Weymouth (Ukoba)
Cowes (BPRC)

Clearly these venues will only be part of the ORDA Marathon series if all clubs can agree to run multi class events.

It is great to see a club step forward and be prepared to give Marathon racing a structure and a 'series' that we can all compete inside

I have been invited to the meeting on 30th October as a Marathon representative for the racers, I have already discussed this series with a number of you and I am encouraged by the response, if anybody wishes to have an input before the mtg please email me..... (My email is on the RB11 website.... www.roundbritainrace.co.uk)

Looking forward to hearing from you

ATB
Dean,

You have very neatly summarised the purpose of the get together in October.

However, despite reassurances, we might still suffer misunderstandings of the ORC and the RYA regarding the objectives of the meeting.

SEPA are strong advocates of partnership working and cost sharing to make it cheaper for racers to participate and believe that this is the appropriate time in the evolution of powerboat racing that race organising clubs stopped highlighting perceived shortfalls of the national authorities and started taking more control of their own destiny.

Collaborative and inter-nation working is part of the solution and we're looking forward to the meeting.
Barrie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:13 PM   #8

Interests: Many and Varied!
Boat name: Starseed
Boat make: Colvic Suncruiser 35 Flybridge
Engines: 2x Thorneycroft 225 turbo diesel
Cruising area: South Coast

Smile

Can anyone confirm that this is only for the Marathon Series of races, or is it for all classes that currently race offshore in the UK

For example, does it include OCR, Rib Racing, UKFFORC, Thundercats, V24, P1?

Old 06-10-2010, 04:45 PM   #9
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbil112 View Post
Can anyone confirm that this is only for the Marathon Series of races, or is it for all classes that currently race offshore in the UK

Looking at the venues and the clubs involved I would imagine they would be National events for many if not all of those classes, but I'm only guessing ...........

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:41 PM   #10
JBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbil112 View Post

not sure that some of those formats would have enough time and/or resources to host a marathon, however, looking at the above I think the decision has already been made i.e. who nd where so a simple filling in the dates should be a quick meeting

JBP is offline   Reply With Quote