Boatmad.com

Old 19-08-2010, 11:00 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCRDA View Post
unfortunately the navigation argument is out unless you can find a way to ban GPS !!
forgot to edit that bit from the quote ...

* but is i really neccessary on the current courses anyway ?

Foolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 01:44 PM   #62

Even with GPS you have to programme and interpret the information correctly. As was demonstrated at Harwich this is not always done correctly by all and therefore is a differentiator between teams and also puts an onus on both members of the team to contribute to the success or failure.

PKJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 02:00 PM   #63

Interests: sport
Boat name: Santana

Agree that GPS has changed much of racing and maybe not for the best, but you have to go with technology. However with longer courses there is still more to do and it's not always the straightest line that is the quickest, so there is still some navigation and tactics to be looked at and important for a crew to operate as a team.

I think the suggestion of a short and long race sounds potentially good. Personnally speaking I can get bored with going round short laps and know others feel the same. At the same time other people find longer offshore legs tedious - so there is going to need to be some compromises. Variations of courses should be good and hopefully mix up the results a bit and lead to worthy champions.
Old 20-08-2010, 05:38 PM   #64

Interests: Boats, design, advertising, music, movies, boats, boats, boats ;-)
Boat name: Speedy Canoe
Boat make: Aero 21
Engines: Mariner 150
Cruising area: Stockholm archipelago

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKJB View Post
Even with GPS you have to programme and interpret the information correctly. As was demonstrated at Harwich this is not always done correctly by all and therefore is a differentiator between teams and also puts an onus on both members of the team to contribute to the success or failure.
This is extremely true! I think people have missinterpreted tha role of navigator/co-driver. Even with GPS they have a significal role in the team. As well as finding the right way around the course they have to help the driver find THE FASTEST way around. They have to help the driver observe what the competitors do and were they are. But the team work can also be developed, for example the co-driver could take responsability for balancing the boat with the ballast tank. The are lots of stuff the co-driver could do to make life easier and more focused for the driver.
jonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 08:20 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
TBut the team work can also be developed, for example the co-driver could take responsability for balancing the boat with the ballast tank. .
Already the case in B92
Old 20-08-2010, 08:46 PM   #66

Ok engines again i'm afraid but perhaps somebody can clear this up once and for all !

http://www.uimpowerboating.com/vsite...m-item,00.html

1: why does the UIM website still state 3B-EPA engines max cc as 1.6 litre ? is it just out of date ? if so is there an up-to-date list anywhere ?

2: Why is the bombardier (evinrude ) 115 still only shown as homologated for 3C ? again out of date ... ?

3:Any idea how the apparent 1760cc max was decided ... thus excluding the Tohatsu (good or not ) by 8cc ? along with other mainstream 115's ?
Old 21-08-2010, 12:57 PM   #67
Live for today, not 2moro

Interests: Racing
Boat name: Black Thunder
Boat make: Cougar
Engines: Rude 250HO
Cruising area: Solent/Anywhere

Not one for usually commenting, but from just reading all the various comments, this is strictly in my opinion what i think nothing else.
The engine situation is similar to that of the XR2, in that the XR2 has now slowly died out and been replaced by newer modern machinery, and there is now the question coming up about what could replace the 200XS.
Looking at it, yes 5/6years ago 1.3ltr was a stunning class with the 90yams, and good numbers racing, but this is now not then! So maybe things do have to be looked with the option of changing to modern machinery, i.e. 115etec, but you cant single out those who want to race with the 90, or can only finance the 90. If there are positive numbers for the class, and there is the mixed field of 90's and 115's then may have to look at running them all together but classifying them respectively, hopefully keeping both parites happy and out racing.
I really hope that this class can come back strong, and that peoples views are listened too, but not everyone will be happy about something, but thats racing. Hopefully next year there is a positive fleet of 1.3ltrs all ready to race, and that it can refresh offshore racing and bring it back slowly to what it was, and the teething probelms will be there but can be slowly cured.
As a racer i want to see this class and others come back strong, so if i can help anyone new to the class or somebody wants someone out in the boat with them, then i can only do what i can do. If so email is cougarracing24@aol.com

Will
Old 21-08-2010, 02:21 PM   #68

Interests: photography, powerboat racing, motogp, anything that goes fast!

well said

I think young Will has a good point, at the end of the day we need to get as many people out racing.
Lets join them together and the boats results can be seperated at the finish.
snapper66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2010, 09:44 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper66 View Post
I think young Will has a good point, at the end of the day we need to get as many people out racing.
Lets join them together and the boats results can be seperated at the finish.
Old 21-08-2010, 10:44 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolish View Post
Ok engines again i'm afraid but perhaps somebody can clear this up once and for all !

http://www.uimpowerboating.com/vsite...m-item,00.html

1: why does the UIM website still state 3B-EPA engines max cc as 1.6 litre ? is it just out of date ? if so is there an up-to-date list anywhere ?

2: Why is the bombardier (evinrude ) 115 still only shown as homologated for 3C ? again out of date ... ?

3:Any idea how the apparent 1760cc max was decided ... thus excluding the Tohatsu (good or not ) by 8cc ? along with other mainstream 115's ?
Adrian,

Page 250 of the UIM Rules 2010 states the 3B EPA cc limit as up to 1760cc with a max hp of 115. There are also weight penalties e.g. 655 kg against 595kgs for monos.
The decision to allow the 115 HO was ratified by Cominoff in 2009 and homologation references made available. It wasn't well promulgated in the UK, which led to some bad feeling, based on misinformation.
However, the legals remain the same, the 115 HO engine was and is homologated and eligible to race 3B in 2011, when hopefully, SEPA will be hosting the World 3B Championships.
My daughter will be competing in a P16/Yamaha 90.
Barrie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2010, 11:14 PM   #71

3B Revival

Forgot to add that Sharon Atlee will probably be doing both 3B and OCR in the Tintorera in 2011. It's a boat that has won two World and several European 3B Championships already and as shown in Harwich, is quite capable of repeating the honours.
The moulds are now residing in the UK, if anyone wants to order a new boat.
Old 21-08-2010, 11:45 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Williams View Post

Page 250 of the UIM Rules 2010 states the 3B EPA cc limit as up to 1760cc with a max hp of 115. There are also weight penalties e.g. 655 kg against 595kgs for monos.
Thankyou Barrie... so the uim website is out of date then ... (at least if you check online engine homologations anyway)

We to will be running the 90 in 2011 although we are also hoping to have a new EPA boat aswell and are looking at what options for power other than the HO are available, hence my questioning of the rules.

Adrian
Old 31-08-2010, 07:16 PM   #73

3B revival

Regarding SEPA's application to the UIM to host the 2011 3B World Championship, we are pleased to report that we received our first entry application from Finland today.

So, start polishing up those Argocats, P16s and 19s, B22s, Frodes, Bakdrafts and Tintoreras and get ready to defend UK honours next summer.

I think a new UK World Champion, in whatever class, is just what this sport needs at the moment.

We're off to Corsica, to woo the French, in three weeks time, then off to Oslo to persuade the Scandinavians to come.
Old 31-08-2010, 08:32 PM   #74

Interests: Boating, Clay Pigeon Shooting
Boat name: B92
Boat make: Bakdraft!
Engines: Yamaha 90!
Cruising area: Solent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Williams View Post
Regarding SEPA's application to the UIM to host the 2011 3B World Championship, we are pleased to report that we received our first entry application from Finland today.
Where do i send mums credit card details to for my entry ?
Old 01-09-2010, 12:25 AM   #75

3B Revival

Hang on until the result of the UIM Malta meeting in October.

If we get UIM approval then it's all stations go, to provide the best World 3B Championship event ever seen, in 2011.

SEPA can't wait and are raring to go.
Old 16-09-2010, 04:43 PM   #76

Interests: Powerboat racing, Ice hockey and aviation.
Boat name: Vines BMW
Boat make: B23
Engines: Evinrude 115HO
Cruising area: South coast

Can we confirmed whom is interested and seriously out next year in 2011.

Confirmed so far:

Matt and Stuart in B75
Adrian and Ashleigh in B92 (possible 2nd team)

Anyone else.....

stumpy is offline   Reply With Quote