Boatmad.com

Old 30-08-2005, 11:07 PM   #1
Chief C*nt!

Interests: Boats
Boat make: Other people's mostly

A simpler future?

These are some fairly random thoughts that might be complete waffle, or might possibly start an interesting discussion . . .

I have never raced. I have spectated at a few events in a half hearted way, but never really got involved. I like boats.

So that should mean I have a bit in common with a lot of potential punters.

Without serious TV coverage, offshore powerboat racing is always going to make a weak spectator sport. But hey, the Le Mans 24 hour race isn't exactly gripping stuff either (you can't even tell who's in the lead!) but that doesn't stop tens of thousands of spectators turning out. It's the atmosphere and the general buzz that gets people going.

So the pits are important, and so is the start. Close racing on an offshore course doesn't make a whole lot of difference as spectators don't get a chance to see the battle -- they just see a few boats go by together instead of spread out. OCR is different, where you actually get to see the detail of the racing and the head to head tussles. Without TV you're not going to get that in offshore.

You need some big, glitzy boats. Preferably a few Class One boats, but the P1 fleet have some impressive kit (pits at Brighton last year were excellent spectator fodder). Purely grass-roots stuff just won't cut it -- a couple of dozen P21s isn't going to be enough of a spectacle to grab the attention of the masses.

You do need the volume of boats to make the starts exciting, and to make the rest of the race at least visible. The fleet of smaller, less exotic boats is really important here.

In summary we need a big, mixed fleet and close racing doesn't matter.

So for organisational purposes, lets scrap all the classes and run every race as a basic. Run what you brung, on a day licence. Sure you could offer incentives for people to enter a whole series, but don't limit the number of one-off events that anyone can enter.

All the classes could be administered by individual clubs (BIBOA, UKOBA, V24 whatever) but it would be an administrative job of totting up scores and awarding shiny stuff. Scrutineering could be common across the whole fleet and clubs could have a system of declaring that individual boats meet their entry criteria. There would be a race entry fee for everyone, plus optional championship entry fees for the classes.

Everyone races together (with multiple starts if necessary), then the finishing positions are published and all the class clubs calculate their entrants' standing at the end of it. Only one set of race instructions and one drivers meeting would be needed. You could enter several classes if you want to and your boat is eligible.

Those that aren't bothered by silverware could work out their own standing against comparable boats.

A couple of immediate flaws spring to mind:

- can you have common safety and scrutineering requirements for all boats?
- would it be possible to have a single course that would satisfy everyone?

I expect there are more, but what do you think? Worth some thought, or a non-starter?

Old 30-08-2005, 11:44 PM   #2

Interests: Extreme Sports, Cars, Boats

Send a message via MSN to Rupert Munro
My thoughts.....

Unfortunately i think this may be a non-starter.

The main reason i think would be the possible danger in the various different classes of boat in the same start chute etc. Imagine a Class 1 boat e.g. Negotiator (who was present at cowes this weekend) lining up against a rib or open batboat. It would simply be too dangerous with the water sprayed up and wake that would result. Also imagine trying Health & Safety!!!!!

Also if you speak to some of the organisers they already had more than enough to think about with the issues of Protests - every race you would get many of the boats protesting about positioning, cutting each other up and anything else they dream up.

I think you are right about the spectator issue though - were you at cowes this weekend???

There to help with this they had a short course (rally) and an endurance course (round the island) the rally course was infront of the main seaside path - this helped to improve the spectacle to the spectators and from what i heard it worked - even in the P1 endurance they did several laps before setting off round the island. This is the way to start to expand the spectatorism. If they could do similar with the starts that would be good although they need to be quite far out from shore to avoid pleasure boats - see pics from cowes in the pic section (Ben's Thread) for some pics from the start boat of this.

Anyone else got any ideas how they could bring in more spectators???

Rupert Munro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2005, 08:52 AM   #3
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Re: My thoughts.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Rupert Munro
Unfortunately i think this may be a non-starter.

The main reason i think would be the possible danger in the various different classes of boat in the same start chute etc. Imagine a Class 1 boat e.g. Negotiator (who was present at cowes this weekend) lining up against a rib or open batboat. It would simply be too dangerous with the water sprayed up and wake that would result.
Well I'm sure that's what would be said, but we used to regularly start in a large mixed fleet, and it was bloody exciting to be on the line with the big stuff.

WTF is happening, we aint allowed to do shit these days.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2005, 09:11 AM   #4

I think the 2 minute (ish) staggered starts of the basic race worked quite well. 2 or 3 starts based on the no. of boats and their relative performance. Clearly, 150mph+ boats on the start is a rarity, so the speed differential isn't that huge either, we're looking at a speed range of typically 70-90mph I guess. Seems like there is some merit in it to me.

I like run what ya brung - but would also like to keep the individual classes alive to. So you have a 1st past the post prize, and then class prizes for any class that wants to organise itself.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2005, 09:20 AM   #5

Interests: boating
Boat make: extreme 24
Engines: 8.2 volvo
Cruising area: solent

agree what you are saying about tv never really been a fan of the honda series but watched last years season on tv the other night and was hooked really exciting stuff

i thought the short course was great at cowes saw alot more action and were alot of people watching from the shoreline

i think advertising the event was poor leading up to the weekend there was no mention on the local news they had village fates and other things mentioned for the bank holiday weekend but nothing about millions of pounds of powerboats racing round the isle of wight

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2005, 09:49 AM   #6

Boat name: LILY THE PINK AND TERMINATOR 11
Boat make: PHANTOM 21 AND 20
Engines: 2.5 EFI X 2

We do the staggered start in club racing and it works very well, at any one time on the start line there are boats ranging from a f1 cat with 300 drag motor down to a ring 16 with 90 yam .Everyone does a couple of timed laps and race on a handicap system so everyone has a chance to win.Last weekend at barrow there were 18 boats of various classes on the start line and made for some exciting racing, if they had run in there proper classes some would have been racing on there own and wouldn't bother turning up.Run what you brung racings got to be the way forward,just look how many people have a boat and engine combo that they could race without going to major expense.
Old 31-08-2005, 10:14 AM   #7
Chief C*nt!

Re: My thoughts.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Rupert Munro
The main reason i think would be the possible danger in the various different classes of boat in the same start chute etc. Imagine a Class 1 boat e.g. Negotiator (who was present at cowes this weekend) lining up against a rib or open batboat. It would simply be too dangerous with the water sprayed up and wake that would result. Also imagine trying Health & Safety!!!!!
Negotiator ran in the basic race on Sunday morning with no problems.

Multiple starts based on the actual entries, not fixed classes, seems to be quite a good solution to me.
Old 31-08-2005, 10:22 AM   #8

I would be less keen on handicap racing though - think it would be a huge huge task to create a reliable handicap system since the weather and course have a huge impact on the competitiveness of a given boat on a given day.

We'd be arguing about it forever!
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2005, 10:31 AM   #9
Chief C*nt!

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt
I like run what ya brung - but would also like to keep the individual classes alive to. So you have a 1st past the post prize, and then class prizes for any class that wants to organise itself.
Precisely!

It would be easy for a club/association/group to run a class as they would not have to do any physical race organising. They could run season-long championships, or just individual competitions (eg The BoatMad Cowes Challenge).

As each class association would be promoting the event, it should help with overall promotion and entry numbers which would benefit everyone.

The calendar could be, say, 6 x 2 race weekends. Individual classes could decide their championships over whatever number of races they decide (best 6, 8, 10, whatever).
Old 31-08-2005, 10:33 AM   #10
Chief C*nt!

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt
I would be less keen on handicap racing though
Absolutely no question about it in my mind. Protests seem to be enough of a problem at the best of times.
Old 31-08-2005, 10:47 AM   #11
Chief C*nt!

Quote:
Originally posted by bert
i thought the short course was great at cowes saw alot more action and were alot of people watching from the shoreline
Perhaps an answer would be to run a similar programme to the P1 series (which seems to be working OK). A multilap inshore race on the Saturday, and a longer "real" offshore race on the Sunday.

Some people might only do the short course races, others only the offshore races. Class championships may require either, or both.

Flexibility for entrants has got to help get numbers up. Simplicity for race organisers has got to help keep costs down. Bigger fleets and more spectacle has got to help get more spectators.
Old 31-08-2005, 10:53 AM   #12

Interests: boating
Engines: 8.2 volvo
Cruising area: solent

i think its a winner
bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2005, 11:16 AM   #13

Boat name: snow monkey
Engines: mercruiser 6.2

me to
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2005, 11:43 AM   #14

Interests: Extreme Sports, Cars, Boats

Send a message via MSN to Rupert Munro
Would be good for people on the shore to see more of the race and seeing the P1's etc mixed up with the ribs would make it interesting for the drivers etc too. Hope they can find some solution.
Rupert Munro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2005, 11:59 AM   #15
Chief C*nt!

Another thought . . .

Make all the race admin internet based. Calendar, rules and regs, race details, entrants, spectator info, results all on web site; all correspondence by email. Entry forms on-line with all payments by credit card.

Nothing goes by post. As little as possible by phone.

Class associations could do what they like, but would be encouraged to follow suit.