Boatmad.com

Go Back   Boatmad.com > The Muster Area > General Racing Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 19-09-2011, 07:00 PM   #1

Interests: Sportscar racing IMSA / Restoration of old offshore race boats...I own the 35 foot Cigarette Spirit. Benihana
Boat make: Banana boat, 28SS Cigarette, 35 Foot Cigarette
Cruising area: Narragansett Bay / Atlantic Ocean

Around Long Island race....Postponed to 2012

2011 Don Aronow Memorial Around Long Island Race…Postponed to 2012

Unfortunately the 2011 race, that was to be a tribute to Don Aronow has been postponed to 2012, due to lack of entries. The minimum number of entrants needed to make the race both a financial and competitive success was never met and the promoters decided to cancel rather than run the race as a poor imitation of the famous race that Don Aronow actually competed in.

While the Americans have a hard time convincing their racers of the viability of a real 271 mile open ocean race, the British are preparing for their 2,500 mile open ocean race from Cowes, England to Monte Carlo, in 2013. Although still two years away, the required 50 teams have already put up their non refundable deposits and a waiting list is being added in case of any drop outs.

The Around Long Island promoters are trying to find a sponsor for next year’s event, with the hopes of attracting more pre race publicity and help to defray the overhead. A sponsor who is looking to promote their brand in the Metro New York market could use the event to showcase their product before millions of potential users.

Initially an annual three race series was proposed to allow today’s offshore boaters the opportunity to actually race over the famous old courses. In July, a 200 plus mile course for the Great Lakes, in September, the Around Long Island 271 mile event and in November, the Fort Lauderdale to Key West 210 mile run would round out the year.

The following had expressed serious interest in running this race this year.
38 Fountain w/ 4 300 HP Mercs outboards and 400 gallon fuel capacity
19 Monza w/400 small block, 70 gallon fuel capacity
24 Banana Boat / 454, 65 gallon fuel capacity
31 Sonic, 8.2 Mercs, 160 gallon fuel tanks
51 Outerlimits, 1550 HP Sterlings, 280 fuel capacity
30 Sonic w/Small blocks and Alpha drives. LAST YEARS CHAMP
52 Outerlimits w/ quad diesels

With only 2 of the above tentative entries confirmed/entered, the promoters have decided to postpone this year’s event and reschedule for next year.

Top Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 01:59 PM   #2

Sad news Charlie. Strange how the a nation of boaters can't put together an entry field worthy of such an event.........

littlenige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 02:03 PM   #3
living the dream

Interests: BOAT RACING
Boat name: i call her baby
Boat make: Aero-tek
Engines: a lot of horses
Cruising area: WW

i think its the date on this one ..it is right on the races over here with SBI and OPA shortly before the worlds.... atleast no racer would be stupid enuff to brake his boat and then could not attent his worlds.

The econimy also playes a slight role i would think !

i was realy thinking about it , but like i said its to close to OUR regular races !
Old 20-09-2011, 03:29 PM   #4

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

That's very bad news and I feel for the organisers. But if the guys won't come out to play then there is nothing you can do about it.

It has come to a sorry state when a Country like the USA, that is so rich in heavy metal powerboats and with guys who like to boast as to how fast their big cigarettes etc can run that they won't put on the gear and take part in such an historic race. As they say, no guts, no glory, it's a very sad day for REAL powerboat racers out in America.

We have not been surprised at the lack of American entries for the Cowes/Monte-Carlo. You can't put it down to money, if they wanted to do it enough there are plenty of guys with the money to do it.

However, fingers crossed for you guys for next year.
ML.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote