Boatmad.com

Old 18-01-2007, 12:22 PM   #21

From my semi spectator/racer perspective I think you've struck the right balance Dave. I agree with some of Marcs points, but not others. Cowes is my favourite powerboat weekend of the year and even with its vices, I still enjoy it.

My concern would be that if the wrong approach is taken, it would be very easy for the organisers to use words along the lines of "f*** off", which mebbe is what people want. But a balanced approach could hopefully address a number of the concerns listed to make it a more satisfying event - perhaps including shifting it to a different weekend so the solent is less busy and the RTI can run.

The shitty boatyard should be avoided at all costs.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 12:26 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin The Talker View Post
can I state that while many things may be wrong at Cowes, it is still the best bet that offshore racing has in the UK, for publicity, TV coverage, &, lets be honest, continuation of the sport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabFour View Post
*EDITED* by JF
Be more specific this time:
Cowes is definately not the best bet that offshore racing has in the UK. It has no coverage of any of the classes apart from P1 and Honda, who get coverage anyway. The only publicity the other classes got was by force, when after a few days past the event no mention had yet been made in the local papers and websites, and someone threw a fit and got the races for V24, Basic and C3 into the news.

Other places like Ramsgate and Littlehampton have done so very much for the sport, with advertising the event to the locals, providing excelent facilities for keeping the spectators informed and keeping the whole event happy.

People in Hove knew of the Littlehampton races several weeks before, and were able to plan their attendance, as they were interested. Ramsgate turns the event into a massive party, and there is no diferentation between a K class race in the bay and the V24 race outside, they are all equally treated and all equally assisted.

Then there are places like Pwelli who - dispite not being the best organised - worked very hard to ensure things ran successfully.

And Guernsey was IMO one of the best events I have ever been to.

The organisation at Cowes, and the treatment of the 'unsignificant others' at Cowes, and the trashy plastic medallions they palmed off on the winners, along with fees and costs that you could spend the same money going on a trip to Italy to race, and still come home with change, it is in totaly a different class to any other race in the circut.

And if someone wishes to state that this nest of rubbish it is the best thing we have in offshore racing I would like to be allowed to tell him his opinion is not at a very good one, and he should get out more, and possibly see other races, so his opinion could get corrected.

FabFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 01:36 PM   #23
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Sorry fab, but the only bit of your post I removed, was the bit where your opinion, crossed the line to being a personal insult at Martin, who as Ben states, has supported UK powerboating for yonks, and doesn't deserve it.

He has an opinion on Cowes, so do you, so do I for that matter, all varying.

If what you say is true, and it appears to be backed up by many other drivers, there's no need for argument on here about it, and certainly no need for personal insults to perfectly innocent members of the supporting team. You just need to collect all the drivers together from the affected classes, and boycot the event. Then, your worries about the points system won't be a problem, as no one will be getting any in your class, sorted.

Then, If the organisers of Cowes decide the absent fleets are missed, they'll need to shape up in order to intice you back there to race.

So, if it's such a unanimous feeling among the smaller classes, vote with your feet. (or in this case, your race entries) But please dont snipe at people who are just offering an opinion.

JF

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 02:09 PM   #24

Interests: sport
Boat name: Santana

Whilst there ar eno doubt many problems with the Cowes event - they are in some / many cases workable I'm sure.

I think it is still the event in terms of spectators / publicty etc - and I feel that for sponsors it is still a great pull compared to some of the other venues.

I have always enjoyed the actual racing at Cowes - would like to see some imaginative courses etc, and some better under-standing of everyone's needs in pits areas etc.

The smaller classes are always going to be secondary at Cowes - and understandably so - but I think by good promotion between the competitors and clubs a workable solution must be out there.
Old 18-01-2007, 02:43 PM   #25

Interests: sport and being lazy
Boat make: ring rib
Engines: merc xr2
Cruising area: bournemouth bay

I also agree with bandit, I have not raced there for many year's but have been a spectator for most of my life, and as a spectator I must say I personally was looking forward to seeing the showdown between all our local racer's at Cowes, I was looking foreward to the showdown between ticky and the rest plus how well mr noisy ran after it's mods, and of course how well the ch*&^%$ did against the real jobbie ie a pucka 28 although that went a bit pear shaped sadly in the end as did the race, but to me it was still a highlight so thanks guys for spending the cash to race for us spectators, but I must point out the reason for going with my mates was also because it was a POWERBOAT FESTIVAL and not just any race
Old 18-01-2007, 07:54 PM   #26

Interests: Powerboats,Commentating, Bikes
Boat make: None at the moment
Cruising area: Wherever I can get a ride !

Martin The Talker

Thanks for your support Ben !
As you say, I was just putting the facts down, but everyone is entitled to their own views.
As the type of boats being raced changes over time, then smaller boats have become more part of the mainstrwam racing action than in years past.
The main boats racing, in terms of boat numbers are now Zap/Thunder-cats,
Honda (2 classes), then the 2 litre, V24's etc.
Both the first two have commercial back-up, especially Honda, to ensure good media exposure, as we know.
I have been around (probably far too long !) the racing scene for 43 years, incl just watching at Cowes or T/q each year. I have a fondness for Cowes, just like Dave, that does not mean I can't see its faults.
Smaller boats are needed at Cowes of course - without the various types, it isn't a "Festival" as has been pointed out. I was just recognising that KBL have difference commercial priorities. I don't know how much a boat pays "up front" to enter P1 for a season, but I guess its lots more than most, except Class 1. Therefore, KBL will "recognise who pays the piper" so to speak, & never risk "pi--ing - off" their main customers - remember, they don't have a series sponsor at present !
I don't honestly think that KBL would worry too much if smaller boats (excluding Honda) did not take part - its just that the fixture is listed each year, by the organisers, & the RYA repeat its inclusion in the Nat.Points, as a matter of course.
It was suggested a year or two ago, that Class 3, V24 etc hold a "rival" event away from Cowes. It didn't happen, but I wonder if there would be sufficient support for the two events on the same w/e ? - Alternatively, hold such an event a week earlier/later.
Sorry I go on a bit - Marc has his views, & I have mine !
Martin The Talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2007, 10:27 PM   #27

So, did you discuss it at the AGM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabFour View Post
The RYA advice is to talk to the driver associations for the class, and put forward a plan of action.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2007, 10:35 PM   #28

Interests: Makin my boat faster!
Boat name: S.B Racing
Boat make: Ocke mannerfelt canopied B23 / Zapcat
Engines: Merc 200XS Gen 2 / Tohatsu 50
Cruising area: littlehampton/Southampton

Nothing was brought up at the agm about it! And if fabfour is who i think it is they were'nt there!
Old 22-01-2007, 10:59 PM   #29

Cruising area: solent

is he an orda member then??
floater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2007, 11:52 PM   #30

Red face Martin The Talker

Nothing mentioned about Cowes race specifically - ORDA AGM centred on club business, & The Forum didn't have a lot of go in it, to be honest.
Suprised me rather !
I think the idea of not attending Cowes has been raised before, as I said.
I do think that it would be rather foolish to host a direct clash on the same weekend, but a race on a weekend either side (as convenient)of B/holiday is quite feasable. It just needs a venue & club to orghanise. I think ORDA has its hands full with its commitments this year, & remember L/hampton is wk before Cowes !
If enough drivers of Class 3 want to get it changed, then ORDa will need to push the RYA. I persoinally don't think it will happen this year, but in 2007 who knows ?
Old 23-01-2007, 08:28 AM   #31
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin The Talker View Post
I persoinally don't think it will happen this year, but in 2007 who knows ?

Now I'm confused!

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 08:34 AM   #32
Aged Member

Boat name: Savannah
Boat make: Princess 415
Engines: Volvos
Cruising area: SOLENT

Martin always gets confused over which year he's in......

Old 23-01-2007, 07:42 PM   #33

Martin The Talker

Not that confused Dave !

No - I don't think a "Substitute race" to Cowes will happen this year (07), but that doesn't mean it won't next year.
I may be a Cowes Nut, but I can see the problems from 2 litre/V24 angles.
Cowes will go ahead, even if only P1 boats race.
I don't think KBL are used to accomodating other disiplines in their programmes, especially not such a multi-class event as Cowes. Its far from easy, & date does not help - too many boats out spectating & without any interest in keeping clear of race-line.
Even TP had problems some years, & he ran it for over 20 years !
Its worth remembering that Cowes used to be just 2 races; C/T/C, & Round the Is.
All the "Extra races" came after, when only about 6 boats went to Torquay, & other boats not capable of a 220 mile race had to be accomodated. Part of the changes over the years. (I know - I'm getting boring again !)
Old 23-01-2007, 08:50 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by floater View Post
is he an orda member then??

Hhhmmmmm? Dunno actually?
Old 23-01-2007, 08:52 PM   #35
Gav

Send a message via Skype™ to Gav
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
Hhhmmmmm? Dunno actually?
nah he aint
Gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 08:58 PM   #36

That explains why he were'nt there then!