Boatmad.com

Old 25-01-2007, 10:20 AM   #1

Class One British Grand Pirix

So no British Grand Prix on the IOTA 2007 calendar released yesterday. Is this the first casualty of the UIM WPPA war!

Driving Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2007, 08:39 PM   #2

That's historic. IOTA always try to squeeze 300,000 euros out of Chris Parsonage for the Plymouth event. He always says no way.
For the past 4 years they have then said, "Oh, alright then, we'll come anyway".
As the poster says, the UIM/WPPA debacle may affect this. But then again, the change of UIM President will have wide ranging ramifications!

Safety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 10:53 AM   #3
Aged Member

Boat name: Savannah
Boat make: Princess 415
Engines: Volvos
Cruising area: SOLENT

Good word,"Ramifications", it's right up there with "Embryonic"

Old 26-01-2007, 11:02 AM   #4

300,000 Euros, small beer to a man like Chris Parsonage. I bet James Sheppard is really looking forward to racing in Slovenia and Romania! How many more years before P1 decide that there is more money available to them by racing somewhere like China, and have to cut an event from their calendar. An event where the pits are too small and the race course is congested. Bye bye international offshore racing in the UK. A change in the UIM President isn't going to solve the lack of international racing in the UK, unless John Puddifoot is planning to stand.
Old 26-01-2007, 02:23 PM   #5

Cowes is one thing.

Plymouth Sound is another. The UK heat is popular with many of the C1 teams, because they appreciate our standard of organisation.
The red flag problem last year was caused by some Froling accolytes trying to interfere with the passage of the race.
They were the ones who brought in the 'Pace Boat' idea. Shame they were not ready when I stopped the race, due to a boat upside down with crew being rescued, on a chicane.
Then they screamed at the C1 "pilots" on VHF to tell them to carry on. Completely ignoring my decsion to stop the race.
Now, in UIM GA minutes and reports, they are blaming the QHM!
Old 26-01-2007, 04:16 PM   #6
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety View Post
The red flag problem last year was caused by some Froling accolytes trying to interfere with the passage of the race.
They were the ones who brought in the 'Pace Boat' idea. Shame they were not ready when I stopped the race, due to a boat upside down with crew being rescued, on a chicane.
Then they screamed at the C1 "pilots" on VHF to tell them to carry on. Completely ignoring my decsion to stop the race.
Now, in UIM GA minutes and reports, they are blaming the QHM!
Are the radio comms during such an event not recorded? if not, mebbe they should be.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 05:28 PM   #7

All of the Safety & Rescue comms is recorded. But not the Course marshall/ Pilot comms.
QHM was fully aware of what went on, and gave the UIM team an excellent bollocking!
They can make up new rules on the spur of the moment, but the UIM 200x rule book still says that OOD & Safety Officer have the final say. Simply a case of Isik flexing his ego.
Old 16-02-2007, 08:05 PM   #8

Boat make: Fletcher Arrowflyte
Engines: Mercury 75

The local rag evidently believes Class 1 race is unlikely to take place in Plymouth this year:

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/disp...entPK=16656621

They blame it on UIM/WPPA differences.
TheOrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2007, 10:29 PM   #9

Interests: Boats Cars women and wine
Boat name: The Bandit & The Bandit1
Boat make: Revenger San Marino & Hunton Rib
Engines: For sale Twin 225 Opti's
Cruising area: The Solent

In 2001 i stupidly dragged my boat to plymouth from the Hamble and this is what i experienced. The local old bill found it a pain in the Ar--( parade of boats on trailers )
We struggled to find a slipway. Mooring was a rude word. and finally out on the water loads of jet skis telling you to stay at least 200 meters away from any where worth watching.
Never Been back ...
the bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2007, 11:43 PM   #10

Interests: Rum. Pirates. And West Cornwall pasties.
Boat name: Any suggestions?
Boat make: Ring 18
Engines: Mercury 200 Black Max
Cruising area: The Bay of 'E'

I just popped down to the Mayflower steps and paid my fiver for a place on the sightseeing boat that cruised out of the Sound and stopped just outside the breakwater to watch the racing. Bargain!

Watched the qualifying from the top of the grass bank oustide the Citadel the previous day, then down to the citadel car park to watch all the pit action.

Combined with food from Capn' Jasper's and nights drinking in The Cider Press it was a thoroughly enjoyable weekend!
Old 17-02-2007, 08:19 PM   #11

Boat make: Fletcher Arrowflyte
Engines: Mercury 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by the bandit View Post
In 2001 i stupidly dragged my boat to plymouth from the Hamble and this is what i experienced. The local old bill found it a pain in the Ar--( parade of boats on trailers )
We struggled to find a slipway. Mooring was a rude word. and finally out on the water loads of jet skis telling you to stay at least 200 meters away from any where worth watching.
Never Been back ...
Plymouth is a great city; Plymouth Sound, Dartmoor just behind us, some nice history & plenty (potentially) to do but Plymouthians just don't seem to realise what a pot of gold they're sitting on. They'll moan about the powerboating, moan about any new roads, 'fancy' buildings etc. Not surprised you were treated this way. It's bloody frustrating!
TheOrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2007, 11:55 PM   #12

Interests: Rum. Pirates. And West Cornwall pasties.
Boat name: Any suggestions?
Boat make: Ring 18
Engines: Mercury 200 Black Max
Cruising area: The Bay of 'E'

I like the place! Okay, the town centre is a dump, but we've got the Luftwaffe to thank for that.
The Barbican is nice, the aquarium rocks and the Citadel and lighthouse are scenic.
Cornwall is just over the bridge and the coastline is ideal for boating. What's wrong with Plymouth? I'd live there if I was offered a job there.
Old 18-02-2007, 08:35 AM   #13
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by the bandit View Post
In 2001 i stupidly dragged my boat to plymouth from the Hamble and this is what i experienced.
I went down in 2001 from Southampton as well, but went by water (and pre-booked a mooring)

Conditions were amazing that year, as can be seen in this short vid, taken on the way home.

http://media.boatmad.com/gallery/v/m...-2001.wmv.html

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2007, 10:00 AM   #14

Just seen the WOP website, good to see Mr Sewell has his finger on the pulse, this story is nearly a month old!!!
Old 19-02-2007, 11:00 AM   #15

Interests: sport and being lazy
Boat make: ring rib
Engines: merc xr2
Cruising area: bournemouth bay

I would suspect DS to have come across this story a long time back his lack of reporting I would have thought, was of his own choice and in what manner he chose to release the news, I would of thought poking fun at our only race boat online/mag did our sport no favors, just my own personal view, fans and racer's need to stick together not attack each other to move the sport forward.

Monday morning moan over
Old 19-02-2007, 12:12 PM   #16

Sorry to cause you to have a Monday morning moan cfun, but I should point out that WOP is not the only race boat online/mag. Go and have a look at www.boat-news.co.uk these were the people who broke the 'Fat Boy Honda Racing' story a while back and now have Shelly Jory writing for them, along with news about the final National round at Torquay, plus info on P1.
Old 19-02-2007, 12:32 PM   #17

Interests: honda
Boat name: costaplenty
Boat make: onthemake
Engines: anything that goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driving Rain View Post
300,000 Euros, small beer to a man like Chris Parsonage. I bet James Sheppard is really looking forward to racing in Slovenia and Romania! How many more years before P1 decide that there is more money available to them by racing somewhere like China, and have to cut an event from their calendar. An event where the pits are too small and the race course is congested. Bye bye international offshore racing in the UK. A change in the UIM President isn't going to solve the lack of international racing in the UK, unless John Puddifoot is planning to stand.
Dont knockpeople like Chris Parsonage.He flys the flag allover the worldin his boat,he also has a boat and crew in HONDA racing as well along with all the 2ltr boats that go to ITALY and elswere over seas. May be you should be sticking together and sorting out your clubs out in this country first. Years ago J&P ARMSTRONG formed ORDA to look after drivers and thier crew, not run races. So please try and help these peple in the sport not kick them down
welshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2007, 12:48 PM   #18

Interests: sport and being lazy
Boat make: ring rib
Engines: merc xr2
Cruising area: bournemouth bay

Ahh, ok had seen that mag someware before but it had slipped my mind, thank you for pointing it out, I shall have a read later when I have time and stick it in favorites, so I dont forget again
Old 20-02-2007, 09:08 AM   #19
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshman View Post
Dont knockpeople like Chris Parsonage.He flys the flag allover the worldin his boat,he also has a boat and crew in HONDA racing as well along with all the 2ltr boats that go to ITALY and elswere over seas. May be you should be sticking together and sorting out your clubs out in this country first. Years ago J&P ARMSTRONG formed ORDA to look after drivers and thier crew, not run races. So please try and help these peple in the sport not kick them down
I have met Chris a couple of times and you couldn't wish to meet a nicer down to earth guy .................. but what does he have to do with the 2 litre class? By the way it's his son that races the Honda boat as far as I know!

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2007, 09:52 AM   #20

Interests: honda
Boat name: costaplenty
Boat make: onthemake
Engines: anything that goes.

Smile Sorry Cookie.

What i did mean about Class 3C was that they all including your self fly the flag and stick together when you you are overseas. what I can see at the moment in this Country you are all bikkering about Powerboat racing, and yes chris does have a son who races HONDA as well as other Fathers. Lets all try and help each other.

welshman is offline   Reply With Quote