Boatmad.com

Old 26-08-2008, 09:17 AM   #1
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Cowes 2009

Right! As mentioned on the ctc 08 thread, plans for the 2009 event need to be addressed good and early. Indeed, not just for 2009, but for future events there, and maybe some additional endurance type races during the UK racing season.
Everyone involved in the picking up of CTC race felt a sense of excitement from the competitors at having a race that doesn't pander to the needs of just about eveyone 'except' the racer himself.

It may not satisfy the sponsors, it may not even satisfy the spectators all that well, but all the competitors I spoke with were extremely positive about the way the whole thing worked, with most (if not all) saying, 'see you next year'.

I think that to do Cowes the justice it deserves as a venue, we need more than one race 'slot' over a long bank holiday weekend, hence the talk about a festival of speed with multiple classes, displays and entertainment.

The million dollar question is, how many of you lot are going to step up to the plate and take part in the coming years? We had a pretty impressive turn out all things considered, but will need more from all classes if it's to grow.

My personal feeling is that this type of racing really aught to give powerboating enthusiasts a good reason (or should that say 'excuse'?) to own a boat capable of high speed, open water travel. It's how racing really started all those years ago with the early CTC races and maybe 'pure' racing boats just aren't going to figure so much in the future, at least not for the unsponsored 'masses'.

With one or two of these endurance racing events, with rules 'honed' to suit boats that border fast pleasure and pure racing, Poker Runs, Blade Runs and a bit of plain old fast boating, peoples hard earned dosh can hopefully be ploughed into boats that make far better financial sense, that all the family can get some enjoyment from when they're not competing.
Francis Whitleys Shakespeare 960 is a perfect example of what I mean. In the last 2 months he's taken part in the Round Britain race, now the CTC, and tomorrow he could be boating with the family just like anyone with a Scumsqueeker, or Fairline. That has to be getting bloody good value out of your investment!

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 11:42 AM   #2

Nice one Jon,

The future looks bloody good now.

Jon Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 12:36 PM   #3

Interests: Lots of things
Cruising area: Basingstoke ring road.

There was alot of old classic cowes torquay powerboats that entered this years CTC too!

What a great display it would be to have a class with more involved as a fesival at sea of CTC boats! what with double 2 shirts on the mend it would be great to see Warlord, Dry martini and others back there at the start line together as a celebration of the cowes torquay race! even if its a short run for them it would still be great.

Having seen the FPT red, Gee, cinzano tex-tanks revenger, the apache and cigarette and the swordsman 747 together it was like having the Cowes revival like goodwood revival there are many boys retired from racing these boats but many are still around to see these beautiful classic run.

Who ever owns the bath travel cigarette could rename her to one of the old classics like my favourite 77 Limit up.
Shelbysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 12:42 PM   #4

New entrant for 2009

I fully intend to be a new participant in 2009.
Will need masses of help along the way - but determination to make it happen.

We done to JF, ML et all who are doing their utmost to turn the decline in offshore powerboat racing around.

Guess the first thing I need is a boat ! can anyone recommend any ex-race boats that are currently for sale. Or would love to hear ideas from everyone on ideal class 2 or 3 boat.

Please could someone also let me know what qualifications you need to get a license.
wickedtopspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 12:54 PM   #5

can you afford to get Dry Martini back in race trim.

http://www.inwardsmarine.com/boats/30-Cigarette-36.asp
Old 26-08-2008, 01:11 PM   #6

Is that the famous one ?

Seems to be a similar one for sale in the USA, different engines, drive cover etc.

UK one does not look as good as the USA one !
Old 26-08-2008, 01:40 PM   #7

I believe it had 3 or 4 names thou carried number 9 on all of them.

Yellow drama http://media.boatmad.com/gallery/v/g...1976_.jpg.html

Dry Martini
http://media.boatmad.com/gallery/v/g...1973_.jpg.html

Crown of Cruise
http://media.boatmad.com/gallery/v/g...1977_.jpg.html

I always knew it as Dry Martini.

Its famous to me! Ive not seen the USA Dry Martini Here something found on youtube with a kid show us a dry martini cig
Old 26-08-2008, 02:02 PM   #8
Wave-riding-is-fun

Interests: dancing
Boat name: boat number 1
Boat make: wood/big/wood
Engines: big
Cruising area: the sea

new entrants

hopefully by this time next year me and my brother should have a boat ready and sorted for racing. atm we are looking for molds for at most a 17 ft boat we would much prefere to make our own boat so it coudl be made to our true specifications.

any ideas?
Old 26-08-2008, 02:57 PM   #9

Interests: Rally Driving
Boat name: Double 2 Shirts
Boat make: Planatec 41
Engines: 2x625's+ From Uncle Sam
Cruising area: Solent

Count me in Double 2 Shirts will be finished by then... and it should be a good test for the "Old Girl" up against some of the "young guns" who advertise cleaning products on the sides of their boat
Old 26-08-2008, 03:00 PM   #10

Boat name: The Mutz Nuts/Beyond Obsession/HoneyRider
Boat make: Phantom 20, Phantom 25, Cigarette 39 TopGun Unlimited
Engines: Mercury Promax 300 Madefi, Twin Mercury 200XS, Twin Merc Racing 525 EFI's
Cruising area: Eastney/Portsmouth

And me! and me!

“With one or two of these endurance racing events, with rules 'honed' to suit boats that border fast pleasure and pure racing, Poker Runs, Blade Runs and a bit of plain old fast boating, peoples hard earned dosh can hopefully be ploughed into boats that make far better financial sense, that all the family can get some enjoyment from when they're not competing.”

Now that sounds good to me Jon.

That might even convince the Misses too……. Especially if it has a nice n comfy cabin.....

Plus! I think it’s about time I stopped just watching and got into some racing.
Standing in the Pits at the weekend in Cowes, watching all you chaps out there having a great time racing has finally gotten to me.

I suppose, the BIG question is, should I stick with the P25 or go for something a bit bigger…..hmmmm.

Might need some help with the rules and regs thro.

Steve
Old 26-08-2008, 03:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave-rider View Post
hopefully by this time next year me and my brother should have a boat ready and sorted for racing. atm we are looking for molds for at most a 17 ft boat we would much prefere to make our own boat so it coudl be made to our true specifications.

any ideas?
17ft Boat, I'd like to find a Glastron 171 and or remold one and have the boffins coffin livery on it.

http://media.boatmad.com/gallery/v/g...1967_.jpg.html

I expect this boat is long gone by now! My father had her when i was a kid. its sadly missed then today.
Old 26-08-2008, 03:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedtopspeed View Post
Is that the famous one ?

Seems to be a similar one for sale in the USA, different engines, drive cover etc.

UK one does not look as good as the USA one !
I found another livery it had! http://media.boatmad.com/gallery/v/g...1978_.jpg.html

and another http://media.boatmad.com/gallery/v/g...72_+3.jpg.html
Old 26-08-2008, 03:26 PM   #13

Interests: surface piercing props, stepped hulls, air entrapment hulls
Boat name: none
Boat make: PetterTintorera
Engines: Yamaha 90
Cruising area: West Coast of Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelbysteve View Post
17ft Boat, I'd like to find a Glastron 171 and or remold one and have the boffins coffin livery on it.

http://media.boatmad.com/gallery/v/g...1967_.jpg.html

I expect this boat is long gone by now! My father had her when i was a kid. its sadly missed then today.
Good looking boat...
Have you looked here:
http://www.classicglastron.com/
Scand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 01:38 PM   #14

Thank you! Yes last time i check it out was 2 years back! i forgot about it! ill take a look again Cheers.
Old 27-08-2008, 02:08 PM   #15

Ctc 2009

In answer to your initial question Jon, it seems to me that a lot of the problems/confusion with this years event was the eligibility, and classes of boat.

Knowing nothing about this, would it be possible to confirm those sorts of details quickly giving entrants as much time as possible to prepare boats ?
Old 28-08-2008, 08:23 AM   #16

http://www.kurtsmarine.com/drymartini.html is the link to a great article on one of the 35' cigs. The boat is now for sale.

Re: the future of the CTC. I understood that there was to be a meeting of some of the racers over the past weekend to discuss the future of the race - anybody have any knowledge if that meeting went ahead and if so with what outcome?

I have to say that I am torn between the format options for the event. Many folks who I spoke to last weekend said that last years event was just spectacular. Was it the organisation? Was it the multi-lap format and it's proximity to the shore? I got off my backside to come over for the race this year due to the success that was Cowes last year. I guess it's the million dollar question - is the event reverted to a format that is historically important, or (as shown last year) designed for multi-lap sponsor-exposing (ooh!) racing where the public will see a lot more of the boats.

What do you, the racers think? And would it be possible to have both? Class 3 multi-lap in the Solent whilst the big guns disappear to Torquay and back?
littlenige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2008, 08:43 AM   #17
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

I went to the meeting in Cowes.

The 'spectacular' multi lap races are unlikely to return to Cowes. They were only implemented in the first place to satisfy sponsors and spectators.

The harbourmasters are not happy with the format, and to be honest, it's not popular with the racers either. Most who yearn to do an event like Cowes, expect to be up against open water and real navigation.

Also, it's nice to please the spectators, but they don't pay for the event to happen, and sponsors are thin on the ground, have been for years, and I think it's utter folly to think we're going to find any, given the green issues etc, not to mention the fact that we haven't found them for years, even when the green issues didn't exist.

So, it's down to the racers and the occasional private sponsor to fund racing, therefore the boats will run a course most desired by them, and that gives the least resistance from the authorities, ie, courses like we had last weekend.

Just my 2 cents.

JF

EDIT>

Yes, I think we'll see smaller races take place in the Solent. Maybe class III, Honda, Zap/Thunder-cat, Jet Ski? OCR

The next few months will see a million meetings where all this will be discussed.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:21 PM   #18

ctc 2009

Will the 23 ft ( 7,13 meters ) with xr2 engine will be allowed??
If yes I will be there for 99.9%
Mike_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedtopspeed View Post
I fully intend to be a new participant in 2009.
Will need masses of help along the way - but determination to make it happen.

We done to JF, ML et all who are doing their utmost to turn the decline in offshore powerboat racing around.

Guess the first thing I need is a boat ! can anyone recommend any ex-race boats that are currently for sale. Or would love to hear ideas from everyone on ideal class 2 or 3 boat.

Please could someone also let me know what qualifications you need to get a license.
Money money and abit more money

If your around on the 18th i guess most of us will be at the preview where there should lots of advice
and lots of beer !
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:41 PM   #20

Interests: racing
Boat make: formula 272 sr1
Engines: 350 mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
I went to the meeting in Cowes.

The 'spectacular' multi lap races are unlikely to return to Cowes. They were only implemented in the first place to satisfy sponsors and spectators.

The harbourmasters are not happy with the format, and to be honest, it's not popular with the racers either. Most who yearn to do an event like Cowes, expect to be up against open water and real navigation.

Also, it's nice to please the spectators, but they don't pay for the event to happen, and sponsors are thin on the ground, have been for years, and I think it's utter folly to think we're going to find any, given the green issues etc, not to mention the fact that we haven't found them for years, even when the green issues didn't exist.

So, it's down to the racers and the occasional private sponsor to fund racing, therefore the boats will run a course most desired by them, and that gives the least resistance from the authorities, ie, courses like we had last weekend.

Just my 2 cents.

JF

I think this is the best post ever!! think the inshore racers (f2) should read this to>

thanks
mike

mike1 is offline   Reply With Quote